Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S destroyed, terrible crash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like it went off an embankment backwards at a high rate of speed, sustained a lot of damage with the rear crushing forward, grass getting caught in the rear wheelwell, and the front bumper and reinforcement also being yanked forward, then the front end rotated to the right and the rear passenger corner got caught up and chewed while the car started moving forward, which yanked those panels backwards and off.

Could you post the rear photos after masking the plate? If you can't mask it, send it to me and I'll mask it for you.. It's a quite 10 second photoshop fix.. (Or MS Paint can do it too.. although saving the file reduces the quality)

Regardless, The cabin area looks pretty much intact so I'd say everyone's safe. All the damage seems to be only on the outer shell so the occupants were not really affected save for the G forces etc.

Could you post the rear photos after masking the plate? If you can't mask it, send it to me and I'll mask it for you.. It's a quite 10 second photoshop fix.. (Or MS Paint can do it too.. although saving the file reduces the quality)

Regardless, The cabin area looks pretty much intact so I'd say everyone's safe. All the damage seems to be only on the outer shell so the occupants were not really affected save for the G forces etc.

Less than 10 seconds! Select, box blur, save! lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Question: If all the Air Bags have deployed does give any indication of the number of people that were in the car? In other words; if the there is no one in the front passenger seat, will the passenger Air bags deploy?

No, they wouldn't deploy as they are turned off when no one is sitting there (this is displayed on the 17" screen).

I tend to agree it looks like a high speed offroad expedition. Most of the damage seems low in the front. Damage gets higher in rear. Wheels pulled off. I bet they left the interstate. Hit soft earth, and the rear started to fishtail around. Thus lots of damage to rear quarter panels, but not a lot high up in the front.

I'd like to suggest that we have a moment of silence for the Sig. :crying:

That has been my biggest concern. What if something happened?
Would it ever be possible to replace it with another and get a custom Sig Red paint job?

sure, no problem

- - - Updated - - -

If you look at the last photo, there are clumps of grass in the wheel arch. My guess is the car ran off the road and hit various stationary objects. It may have gone through a fence to start with.
there was a lot of mud all over the car, so it may well have gone off the road into grass and mud. possibly crashed through a highway guardrail (probably strong enough to deploy airbags) and then down a steep embankment.

- - - Updated - - -

Could you post the rear photos after masking the plate?
Yes, meant to do this last night but got home too late.

Here are some more photos including the rear shots for our amateur crash investigators.

tcrash 3170.jpg

tcrash 3171.jpg

tcrash 3172.jpg

tcrash 3173.jpg

tcrash 3174.jpg

I'd like to suggest that we have a moment of silence for the Sig. :crying:

That has been my biggest concern. What if something happened?
Would it ever be possible to replace it with another and get a custom Sig Red paint job?

Should I ever be in an accident like this and live to tell, who cares about the car!

Edit: Ok, I don't own a Sig or a Model S for that matter, but I can't imagine this being a concern.

Have there been any fatalities in a Model S yet?

I do not remember the exact quote, but at Teslive 2013 Elon Musk said there had been no fatalities or permanent injuries so far with the Model S.

He also said later this summer (I think) he wanted to write a blog post at TM explaining the safety features and the engineering (or design) behind it.

You can find Elon's keynote speech in the forum someplace.

I hope everyone involved is ok. I have only three Signature owners. One of them I just saw two weeks ago and this is not his car. Another I haven't seen in a while but he babies his car and would be surprised if this was his.

The third was from Newport Beach and met him at the Gilroy SC on Memorial Day weekend. I posted about some comments from this guy because he had no clue what the MS could do. He had been driving the car since new but had no idea what a range charge was. He made some comments about how he was only getting 150 miles of range and felt very disappointed, which prompted me to ask just how in the world could he possibly be getting such poor range. After talking with him for a minute, it was clear he was driving at very high speeds, with the AC cranked up. He was planning to stop at Salinas or Paso on the way down to SLO because he didn't think he had enough range to make it to SLO from Gilroy! He didn't know what twin chargers were or whether he had them (of course he did). I tried explaining to him just to slow down a little and get a full charge before leaving, but it was tone deaf (perhaps literally) and nothing I said sunk in. It was weird seeing someone with a Signature who had no idea of how to drive his car but did like to drive it fast.

he third was from Newport Beach and met him at the Gilroy SC on Memorial Day weekend. I posted about some comments from this guy because he had no clue what the MS could do. He had been driving the car since new but had no idea what a range charge was. He made some comments about how he was only getting 150 miles of range and felt very disappointed, which prompted me to ask just how in the world could he possibly be getting such poor range. After talking with him for a minute, it was clear he was driving at very high speeds, with the AC cranked up. He was planning to stop at Salinas or Paso on the way down to SLO because he didn't think he had enough range to make it to SLO from Gilroy! He didn't know what twin chargers were or whether he had them (of course he did). I tried explaining to him just to slow down a little and get a full charge before leaving, but it was tone deaf (perhaps literally) and nothing I said sunk in. It was weird seeing someone with a Signature who had no idea of how to drive his car but did like to drive it fast.
AFAIK, no country/state/city/town has any intellect or research requirements for purchasing an automobile. Do you even need a driver's license to purchase one? I suspect not.

^^^
Nope. Sometimes, on mynissanleaf, we hear of some pretty clueless Leaf owners, sometimes via their posts and other times thru weird "street" encounters.

Unfortunately (from knowing people clueless about cars and being on enough other car forums), I think this is true of all makes and models.