Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S doesn’t get cheaper then $25k due to scrap values?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ive ordered a cpo a week ago, but while shopping for about 6 months I’ve noticed using sites like:

Search Over 5 Million Cars

Wrecked ones go for $25k or more. Do you guys think that’s why none of the CPOs can fall below the 30k plateau very easily?
I would guess it’s more of people like myself that have drooled over the idea of having a Tesla for years but haven’t ever been able to afford one. Once you hit $30K there’s a mass market of potential customers. My last new car purchase was a $33K Accord Hybrid Touring. If a used S would have been readily available I may well have bought one instead, knowing that the early S models have unlimited SC, and 8Y/unlimited warranty on DU and battery packs.

• Helpful
Reactions: shellderp and IdaX
One of the best deals I saw was a 2013 or 12 at a dealer in Vegas for about 23k, it had 180k miles but a new 90 battery. I was suspecting there will be a minimum price, since most these old S have lifetime unlimited free SC. That's gotta be worth something... Especially when gas is over $4 in some areas!

Both of ours were picked up for 29k each. I think you can find ones under 30k, but I have not really seen one for under 20k. I heard of a S60 for 21k, was pretty beat up from what I heard.

There is some missing information here. If wrecked ones go for $25K+, how can Tesla sell a CPO at $28.9K? They need to cover warranty and reselling costs, so they must have traded it in for less than $25K. Are you saying that, and whoever traded it could have just ran it into a wall and sell it as a wreck at over $25K?

Is is possible that people here are looking at "asking prices" rather than what they actually sell for?

I see stuff like this and shake my head since I have a nice clean title and well options 2013 60 kWh in a desirable color combo for sale for $35k and it hasn't sold yet. I thought it would go quickly at that price compared to market data especially when smashed up salvage titled cars are going for not much less. Unreal.

There is some missing information here. If wrecked ones go for $25K+, how can Tesla sell a CPO at $28.9K? They need to cover warranty and reselling costs, so they must have traded it in for less than $25K. Are you saying that, and whoever traded it could have just ran it into a wall and sell it as a wreck at over $25K?

Is is possible that people here are looking at "asking prices" rather than what they actually sell for?

They probably could have easily posted for sale for 25-28k and sold. But have to deal with showing and getting scammed. So less than 25k at dealer is worth it for some not to have the hassle.

I see stuff like this and shake my head since I have a nice clean title and well options 2013 60 kWh in a desirable color combo for sale for $35k and it hasn't sold yet. I thought it would go quickly at that price compared to market data especially when smashed up salvage titled cars are going for not much less. Unreal.
Maybe you hit on something, someone considering a 5 year old MS60 is likely comparing against a brand new M3 at $35K. While the S60 might have a few internal options over the M3, I think the issue is that people buying EVs buy then for EV features, range, acceleration, charging, battery age, warranty (since new tech and expensive to fix). Bottom line is that it's hard to find someone to pay $35K for a 2013 S60, but people selling are not moving either. So, maybe the floor price of used S we are seeing is based on very little volume - sellers not being able to sell but not willing to discount either? Just theorizing the possibility.