Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S door third party warranty issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased a 2016 S Model S last year and made sure to get a third party warranty. Based on reviews I went with Carshield. Two weeks ago the dreaded front door handle stopped working and won't release. I set up the appointment on my Tesla app and was notified that it can be repaired with their mobile service. I wrote back and informed Tesla that I have Carshield and need for them to contact the claims dept with the info so that Carshield can approve the work and start the claim. Whomever I was in contact with wrote back and informed me that Tesla does not deal with 3rd party warranties and that I would have to pay out of pocket and coordinate with Carshield for reimbursement. I told them I was fully aware of this but still needed for them to contact Carshield to provide the diagnostics of the problem so the work could be approved.

I've been trying to get the communication resolved for weeks with no solution. Today was the mobile appointment but unfortunately, the work could not be started due to Carshield not having spoken to anyone from Tesla. I even offered to put the tech on the phone but Carshield refused to speak with them as Tesla needs to call them, be directed to claims and provide the info.

Based off the post regarding Carshield, Model S doors and the Houston Service Center I though the process would be fairly easy:

The North Houston Service Center contacted Carshield and got the authorization. Not sure of the disconnect. I just want my door fixed! Any advice??

I purchased a 2016 S Model S last year and made sure to get a third party warranty. Based on reviews I went with Carshield. Two weeks ago the dreaded front door handle stopped working and won't release. I set up the appointment on my Tesla app and was notified that it can be repaired with their mobile service. I wrote back and informed Tesla that I have Carshield and need for them to contact the claims dept with the info so that Carshield can approve the work and start the claim. Whomever I was in contact with wrote back and informed me that Tesla does not deal with 3rd party warranties and that I would have to pay out of pocket and coordinate with Carshield for reimbursement. I told them I was fully aware of this but still needed for them to contact Carshield to provide the diagnostics of the problem so the work could be approved.

I've been trying to get the communication resolved for weeks with no solution. Today was the mobile appointment but unfortunately, the work could not be started due to Carshield not having spoken to anyone from Tesla. I even offered to put the tech on the phone but Carshield refused to speak with them as Tesla needs to call them, be directed to claims and provide the info.

Based off the post regarding Carshield, Model S doors and the Houston Service Center I though the process would be fairly easy:

The North Houston Service Center contacted Carshield and got the authorization. Not sure of the disconnect. I just want my door fixed! Any advice??
Happy to give you quotes on long term coverage. Auto Warranty Options - X-Care by Xcelerate Auto

Have you guys started working on an insurance product for cars going out of the 8 year battery/drive unit warranty? I have a 2014 (December build) and have to decide what to do about that situation next year; I am sure I am the tip of the spear for this problem…
Even Tesla doesn't offer that. With a payout of $22K per failure, it makes no sense for any company to do this. Would be nice, though.

Also, if you use the app to book service you get a nice estimate in writing in the app that you can send to Carshield. Sometimes dealing directly with the dealer can end up in no response. It is normal for Tesla to make you do your own third party warranty claims filing. Carshield warranties, though are not really written to cover many things on an EV. An EV extended service contract would be a much better option. X Care is a main provider, and there are likely a few others, but I haven't research this in a year.

Quick update: Still writing the Tesla poc and was told to ask if the invoice would be fine. Carshield said no because they have to talk to the facility directly to get diagnostics, codes etc. I let Tesla know that I'm in limbo now unless Tesla contacts them. Wondering why the North Houston location was so helpful and I'm getting the runaround.

Have you guys started working on an insurance product for cars going out of the 8 year battery/drive unit warranty? I have a 2014 (December build) and have to decide what to do about that situation next year; I am sure I am the tip of the spear for this problem…
Actually, we are investigating ways to offer coverage on the battery/Drive Unit, but we're still a ways off from finalizing anything. Stay tuned.

Also, if you use the app to book service you get a nice estimate in writing in the app that you can send to Carshield. Sometimes dealing directly with the dealer can end up in no response. It is normal for Tesla to make you do your own third party warranty claims filing. Carshield warranties, though are not really written to cover many things on an EV. An EV extended service contract would be a much better option. X Care is a main provider, and there are likely a few others, but I haven't research this in a year.
Thanks Dave, appreciate the shout out! We actually don't bother the Service Center at all, just ask for heads up before the service appointment is made, then forward the estimate screenshot from the app, the final bill screenshot/email and we pay all covered items at checkout right over the phone (or if picking up after hours, we send payment info directly to your Service Writer to bill out before you get there). We are set up to deal with Tesla more like a payment service, less like a warranty company, so a lot of these issues don't occur with our members.

Additional update. My ticket to fix the door has been closed. No reason given. Just closed, so I started another ticket and will start the process of fixing my door handle once again. At this point considering the following:
1. Calling Carshield and cancelling the warranty since Tesla wont make the call. Figure I'll just save the money I'd spend on warranty and pay out of pocket.
2. Posting on here that anyone in the DMV area that's considering a third party warranty needs to contact Tesla to see if they'll make the simple phone call to the warranty company to get the work authorized. If they won't then a 3rd party warranty is useless.

I love my S but If this is how Tesla deals with a common repair problem I'm concerned if anything major happens.

You wouldn't have this problem with X-Care or Tesla extended warranty. The problem is Car shield, who wants to negotiate the repair cost down with Tesla. Tesla does not want to deal with this nonsense. You need to provide these estimate to Carshield and tell them to contact you if further information is needed and you will get it for them because Tesla does not work directly with third party warranty companies. If they won't work with you, you can get the car repaired, send them the bill for reimbursement, and take them to small claims court if they refuse to pay. The other option would be to cancel the policy. You probably could get most of your money back. See if X-Care will cover you for future problems.

You wouldn't have this problem with X-Care or Tesla extended warranty. The problem is Car shield, who wants to negotiate the repair cost down with Tesla. Tesla does not want to deal with this nonsense. You need to provide these estimate to Carshield and tell them to contact you if further information is needed and you will get it for them because Tesla does not work directly with third party warranty companies. If they won't work with you, you can get the car repaired, send them the bill for reimbursement, and take them to small claims court if they refuse to pay. The other option would be to cancel the policy. You probably could get most of your money back. See if X-Care will cover you for future problems.
Thank you. I was unable to purchase the Tesla extended warranty after buying from a private seller and did some research as well as well as look at the forum. When I saw that the S owner in North Houston had the same door handle problem and the Tesla service center called Carshield, gave them the repair info and Carshield approved the work with no issues figured this would be the way to go. Carshield told me that they have to speak directly to the repair facility to get the details on the work before they authorize. Very frustrating. Calling carshield to cancel the warranty today and will look at the x-care process.

I have a different 3rd party and they initially gave me the same hassle of needing to talk with the SC first. When I informed them that Tesla was not playing ball they still worked with me through the process. I just had to get the service order and estimates to them and detailed line item fees. They didn't pay Tesla's premium hourly rate for example - but it did cover what I expected and I just paid the deductible and difference in labor rates.

Tesla doesn't make it easy - you would think they would be happy to assist their customers in getting payment but their service is all about making you second and triple guess if you really want to deal with the torture of contacting them at all.

I have a different 3rd party and they initially gave me the same hassle of needing to talk with the SC first. When I informed them that Tesla was not playing ball they still worked with me through the process. I just had to get the service order and estimates to them and detailed line item fees. They didn't pay Tesla's premium hourly rate for example - but it did cover what I expected and I just paid the deductible and difference in labor rates.
I purchase 2016 S Trough Carvana with 3rd party warranty, car is having door handle problem won't open and sunroof and windows . tesla won't work with 3 party. Silver Rock just not helping

I purchase 2016 S Trough Carvana with 3rd party warranty, car is having door handle problem won't open and sunroof and windows . tesla won't work with 3 party. Silver Rock just not helping
Tesla generally won't fool with third party service contracts.get an estimate, thru the app or in person, send it to your warranty company. They generally will pay by credit card, but otherwise you can submit the claim and they will reimburse. Only difference is you need to be a go-between between Tesla and your warranty company