Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Shield Extended Warranty experiment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2014 S85 rolled out of warranty after a quick 3 years and I took the gamble of NOT buying the extended warranty in the hopes that it would need fewer repairs relative to ICE vehicles. Over the last 12 months I've had a few repairs (leaking headliner $1000, bugs in tail lights $1000 which I did not fix, Door handle issue quoted as $750) that caused me to seek a third party auto warranty as my hope is to keep this car for at least 8 years.

I ventured onto Google and filled out some random website's form and quickly received a phone call with a quote. They were pretty pushy but I could cancel within 30 days at no cost so I pulled the trigger. The plan I purchased is "Aluminum" level which covers everything but drive train for 4 years/48k miles after a 30 day/1000 mile waiting period with a $100 deductible per repair. I specifically asked the sales person if they would cover the $175/hr shop fee that Tesla has here in Texas and he assured me that I could pick any shop I wanted and they would cover it. This plan also requires that I follow Tesla's recommended schedule for maintenance. The total cost of the plan is right at $5200 paid out for 0% intestest @ $240/month. The maximum benefit total is $15,000.

I took my baby in for four year service this last week and one of the handles was not consistently opening the door. The North Houston service center said this was the first warranty car they had repaired but they did a good job and called Car Shield of authorization. When they called me back they said Car Shield would only authorize $110/hr for the repair which consisted of 2.5 hours of labor + about $50 in parts. I said that is fine as I was busy at the time and figured I would contact Car Shield when I had more time and argue about this lack of coverage based on what I was sold. I paid my balance to Tesla and picked up the car over the weekend.

Today I called Car Shield and after multiple transfers and holds they actually read the contract and said I was right, they should have paid the full shop fee and are sending me a check for the difference. In the future they assured me the full shop fee will be paid.

Anyhow just sharing my little experiment with anyone else who finds themselves out of warranty and worried about big ticket items like suspension, AC, MCU, etc.

I like how you can cancel, but only if you do it before you could even try the plan out. :)

So you are planning to have more than $5,200 in repairs over the next 4 years. (Not counting the $100 deductible for each repair.)

My 2014 S85 rolled out of warranty after a quick 3 years and I took the gamble of NOT buying the extended warranty in the hopes that it would need fewer repairs relative to ICE vehicles. Over the last 12 months I've had a few repairs (leaking headliner $1000, bugs in tail lights $1000 which I did not fix, Door handle issue quoted as $750) that caused me to seek a third party auto warranty as my hope is to keep this car for at least 8 years.

I ventured onto Google and filled out some random website's form and quickly received a phone call with a quote. They were pretty pushy but I could cancel within 30 days at no cost so I pulled the trigger. The plan I purchased is "Aluminum" level which covers everything but drive train for 4 years/48k miles after a 30 day/1000 mile waiting period with a $100 deductible per repair. I specifically asked the sales person if they would cover the $175/hr shop fee that Tesla has here in Texas and he assured me that I could pick any shop I wanted and they would cover it. This plan also requires that I follow Tesla's recommended schedule for maintenance. The total cost of the plan is right at $5200 paid out for 0% intestest @ $240/month. The maximum benefit total is $15,000.

I took my baby in for four year service this last week and one of the handles was not consistently opening the door. The North Houston service center said this was the first warranty car they had repaired but they did a good job and called Car Shield of authorization. When they called me back they said Car Shield would only authorize $110/hr for the repair which consisted of 2.5 hours of labor + about $50 in parts. I said that is fine as I was busy at the time and figured I would contact Car Shield when I had more time and argue about this lack of coverage based on what I was sold. I paid my balance to Tesla and picked up the car over the weekend.

Today I called Car Shield and after multiple transfers and holds they actually read the contract and said I was right, they should have paid the full shop fee and are sending me a check for the difference. In the future they assured me the full shop fee will be paid.

Anyhow just sharing my little experiment with anyone else who finds themselves out of warranty and worried about big ticket items like suspension, AC, MCU, etc.

Most of these plans have a ~50% commission to the sales person!!

I like how you can cancel, but only if you do it before you could even try the plan out. :)

So you are planning to have more than $5,200 in repairs over the next 4 years. (Not counting the $100 deductible for each repair.)

I can still cancel minus the $250 activation and $210 for first month, it is prorated essentially. I was planning to until lunch today when they back-tracked on only paying $110/hr instead of the posted rate of $175/hr.

• Informative
Reactions: hpartsch
Hows the status of having an aftermarket warranty going? Just curious because this is also something im interested in doing when I get my used tesla. Im going to be buying it through the tesla website but after the initial warranty is up Im going to be needing another warranty as im going to be in the same position of wanting my tesla to last me at the very least another 7 years at least. Any info on what other mechanical breakdowns you've had since originally posting this would be greatly appreciated and how the process went of using your warranty at tesla locations for repairs. Thanks in advance!

For a Tesla, I think you are better off with an extended warranty by @X-Care EV setup especially for Tesla vehicles with the appropriate coverage:

https://www.xcelerateauto.com/x-care/

Reactions: Silicon Desert
For a Tesla, I think you are better off with an extended warranty by @X-Care EV setup especially for Tesla vehicles with the appropriate coverage:

X-Care - Xcelerate Auto
You might be right about that based on what I see with other web site postings, reviews, etc. I've been evaluating coverage for one of my cars soon to be out of warranty. I like KidDoc's story above. My "experiment" with Car Shield is that I went to their web site a couple weeks ago. One can't get a quote from them without a telephone number. Bad mistake. They were pestering me immediately with reallly HIGH PRESSURE sales. I think I mentioned this somewhere else on here. I told them I am never a person to make an immediate decision on the phone which is what they wanted me to do. Two days later they called with a better deal. I said NO, based on the high pressure, I won't buy one from their company and I have made another plan.

Two days after that, another call with even lower prices. I said don't call me again. Did they listen? No? Just one hour ago they called yet a fourth time and I immediately said take me off your list. So this is the reason for my post. It's a warning that if you are researching Car Shield as a potential warranty, be prepared to be pestered to death.

On the other hand, I have found no pressure from X-Care to buy right away. I got a nice follow-up call which I appreciated, but as I am traveling, I can't take care of that just yet. Follow-up calls to remind me are good when done the way X-Care has responded so far, but I hate those calls from other companies that simply don't listen to a word you say and keep talking till you hang up.

When a company like Car Shield (with those expensive TV ads), call multiple times after you tell them you are not interested, it sends up a red flag to me. Now having said that, some folks probably have a good experience with them after signing up, so I can't say they are a bad company. Just saying I don't like their sales tactics.

Wait, you won't believe this. Well, actually you might. As I was typing the sentence above, Car Shield called a FIFTH TIME (twice in the last hour). After his first sentence, I said no and I am blocking your number. They seem desperate for business.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve

did you get the check?