Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Driver Fatality in Winnipeg (car hit by dump truck)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The NHTSA side impact test simulates a 3015 lb car going at 38.5mph. Looking at the video, this is a tri-axle dump truck. This would have an unloaded weight of ~20,000 lbs and a loaded weight of ~80,000 lbs. For an unloaded truck it would have to be going at 15mph to equal the kinetic energy of the side impact test, a loaded truck would have to be going 7.5 mph.

Up thread it was mentioned the truck was actually going ~65kph (~40mph). If that is true, that is 7x to 26x the kinetic energy of the side impact test.

Tri-axle dumps have load capacity of 15 to 18 tons, so max weight would have been about 59,000 lbs. Still substantial, though.

Super sad. This just happened in the city I live in. Probably only around 25 - 30 Tesla owners here. Many of us know each other, so we were doing roll call after the news came out. I didn't personally know this man, but just can't believe it (drive on that street often). Super, super sad.

Man, 67, dies after car collides with dump truck in Winnipeg - Manitoba - CBC News

I'm saddened by this.

- - - Updated - - -

After reading through all of this, I think it's still useful for car drivers (and truck drivers) of all stripes to know which types of accidents are not (as) survivable, so to spend more on avoiding those. Of course you don't want to be the one driving 12 MPH on regular roads designed for 45MPH in fine conditions, which is very lethal. But in the time costs money balance, this is some money you could throw at intersection driving. (Perhaps take a longer route that has no stoplights.)

Last edited:
I heard through a friend of the family that Tesla sent a bouquet of flowers. A nice gesture from the company - and hopefully something none of us or our families ever have to experience. Still can't believe this happened.

Reading enonymous' account of the events that transpired, living here and knowing that area so well I can absolutely picture it happening, and it's just tragic. Also serves as a reminder to all of us never to go on green until you're sure the lanes are clear. Similar thing happened to my wife three years ago - she was in the far right lane with a big vehicle in the middle lane obstructing her view a bit. Everybody started to move on green so she went too (with a fairly heavy foot on the pedal as she wanted to get a head of the truck and move into middle lane on far side of the intersection). The big truck stopped short though as a car ran the red, which then nailed the front driver side of her VW EOS and spun her around and gave her a big knock on the head (head to side window - she still suffers a bit from the incident). Had she been in a even zippier car (say the P85D), probably would have taken full impact on the driver door as it does accelerate like nothing else on the road.

Again, so sad. My condolences to the family and all impacted. Truly sucks. :(

Unfortunately so many such accidents happen during our Winter , Thanks for sharing your story. Be safe on the roads.

I read through most of this thread after finding it through a frantic Google search. I guess I'm responding in a way to try to help. This is so horrific my response is almost compulsory, and yet I'm so sad that nothing I can do will bring this victim back.

I'm not comfortable disclosing my identity or proximity to the accident but suffice to say that it's as close as one could get, while not being the driver of the dump truck.

Foremostly I want to offer my deepest condolences to the victims family and community. The owner of the Tesla was apparently on his way to the airport to pick up family for the holidays, truly gut wrenching. There simply are no words.

The Dump truck was not affixed with a blade of any sort. It was simply used to transport snow and dump it. It was also a privately owned truck. It was traveling northbound when the driver lost control, the driver regained control over the truck just prior to the intersection as the light turned red. He then made the fatal decision to proceed through the intersection rather than slide through with all the brakes on again losing control. The driver of the Tesla was westbound out the outside lane. The inside lane was occupied by a tractor trailer, blocking the view of the danger that was coming broadside. The dump truck was moving at approximately 65 km/h (not mph) when it struck the Tesla. I am not able to say whether the driver of the Tesla had "timed" the green light or started from a dead stop. As you know the cars acceleration is not like any other and despite the light having just turned green the car may have been at a dead stop. The dump trucks nose was squared right on the drivers side doors.

The emergency crews did cut the entire car apart to get the victim out but to no avail. I feel ill still. My only hope is that the driver of the dumptruck takes responsibility for his actions. Obviously not intentional, but his choice has changed many lives forever.

There is a lesson here for drivers (of heavy trucks, of any vehicle): if you loose control, remember that you could save yourself or someone else if you use your horn during your emergency maneuvers early enough to warn other drivers. Practice this, especially if you are a truck driver. Don't then go have that accident just because you practiced it, ever, BUT IF you do get in that situation, then by all means, honk. And not just a "hurry up" beep, but a long drawn out honk. If you have some steering and pedaling to do and don't have free hands, then do some pattern that is quicker but obviously not normal. I always do so when I'm anticipating a potential for something awry. Some people don't respond to horns, but almost everyone else does. Some people get mad at you and want to fight you when you use your horn, but that's not a reason to avoid using it: usually, a horn will save a life more likely than it will end one.

Also, high beam lights, flashing lights, etc., can also help, but usually you won't have time. Unless you are (for example only) an 80,000 pound truck coming down a hill and hit black ice and you're just sitting there for 4 seconds honking to hell trying to get that thing off the road and stopped and nothing will work and you're just bearing down on the intersection no way in hell to stop and you're just waiting there in your unstoppable object, then yes, also flash the hell out of all your headlights as well as honking, since hey, you do have some more time on your hands. Turn on your hazards too. BUT, audio response in humans is WAY faster than visual response, so the horn thing is way more useful if time is of the essence (which in accident avoidance usually is).

For information, I used to be a bus driver, truck driver, and of course still am a car driver. Don't forget: inspections, safe driving, etc.. All the situations I've ever gotten into were better because I tried harder to not be in a bad or at least worse situation. And there's many times I see something that just seems potentially dangerous and I think "ok I'll avoid that" and then wham! I avoided an accident by not being in that position. Even though they were a Toyota doing something criminal (for example).

Last edited:
There is a lesson here for drivers (of heavy trucks, of any vehicle): if you loose control, remember that you could save yourself or someone else if you use your horn during your emergency maneuvers early enough to warn other drivers. Practice this, especially if you are a truck driver. Don't then go have that accident just because you practiced it, ever, BUT IF you do get in that situation, then by all means, honk. And not just a "hurry up" beep, but a long drawn out honk. If you have some steering and pedaling to do and don't have free hands, then do some pattern that is quicker but obviously not normal. I always do so when I'm anticipating a potential for something awry. Some people don't respond to horns, but almost everyone else does. Some people get mad at you and want to fight you when you use your horn, but that's not a reason to avoid using it: usually, a horn will save a life more likely than it will end one.

Also, high beam lights, flashing lights, etc., can also help, but usually you won't have time. Unless you are (for example only) an 80,000 pound truck coming down a hill and hit black ice and you're just sitting there for 4 seconds honking to hell trying to get that thing off the road and stopped and nothing will work and you're just bearing down on the intersection no way in hell to stop and you're just waiting there in your unstoppable object, then yes, also flash the hell out of all your headlights as well as honking, since hey, you do have some more time on your hands. Turn on your hazards too. BUT, audio response in humans is WAY faster than visual response, so the horn thing is way more useful if time is of the essence (which in accident avoidance usually is).

For information, I used to be a bus driver, truck driver, and of course still am a car driver. Don't forget: inspections, safe driving, etc.. All the situations I've ever gotten into were better because I tried harder to not be in a bad or at least worse situation. And there's many times I see something that just seems potentially dangerous and I think "ok I'll avoid that" and then wham! I avoided an accident by not being in that position. Even though they were a Toyota doing something criminal (for example).
Good Info..Simulation of such scenarios during driving tests for truck drivers and all other drivers would be a good place to introduce it, probably mandatory. Excellent suggestion of Practicing, it will help saving a precious life at the end of a bad road day, Thanks for sharing your experience.