Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Drivetrain Replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Curious. Even for the bad ones, I would expect more than 10K miles before a replacement. When I got my P85, it had 13K miles roughly, and now it has about 27K. Zero trouble with it so far.

I wish we could get stats on this. I'd like to know what kinds of problems they have found, in what severity, and in what percentages. Just to set expectations for myself. But of course, they will never say.

My own personal detectors are unable to estimate the percentage nor ascertain how many are serious vs just precautionary or complimentary.

Curious. Even for the bad ones, I would expect more than 10K miles before a replacement. When I got my P85, it had 13K miles roughly, and now it has about 27K. Zero trouble with it so far.
FWIW, in Edmunds case at 2013 Tesla Model S Long-Term Wrap-Up | Edmunds.com, their first DU developed noise around 10.7K miles, their 2nd one failed at 18.8K miles, and their 3rd one developed milling noise at about 30K miles.

P85D Front Motor Died got a DU replaced due to a failed sensor in the DU. Later in that thread, another guy had got his front DU replaced for failure at 175 miles: P85D Front Motor Died.

I wish we could get stats on this. I'd like to know what kinds of problems they have found, in what severity, and in what percentages. Just to set expectations for myself. But of course, they will never say.

My own personal detectors are unable to estimate the percentage nor ascertain how many are serious vs just precautionary or complimentary.
I can tell you that as someone that's been active on MyNissanLeaf since 2011, w/more Leafs on the road in the US than Model S and likely more worldwide (and a few years longer than the Model S), as well, motor/transaxle replacements on the Leaf are almost unheard of. It's not 0, but VERY rare.

I don't also don't any cases where someone needed more than one replacement, unlike here. I think the record here is someone on their 8th DU.

Last edited:
The motor's extremely high power is likely the complicating factor here. Motors in other cars like the leaf have no where near the power of a Tesla motor. Hopefully Tesla engineers have it figured out now or will soon so this mess can finally be laid to rest.