Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Exterior: Paint Armor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In Tesla's defense of Paint Armor, we've only had one client that had it done and we redid it. For a pre-cut kit, I was impressed what was done at the factory level. The film itself was pretty clear and the edges matched up nicely.

So, for being the only manufacturer to offer this as an option, they've done pretty good.

But, now that most of you have seen a proper clear bra installation where the entire front end can be covered with a quality film and excellent warranty, I personally don't see the VALUE in getting Paint Armor from factory.
I have no qualms about the factory installation. the shop that replaced my Paint Armor has replaced Paint Armor that has separated from the panels.

Value of paint armour is going to be highly subjective. There is a benefit of rolling the payment into financing as we see many of our Tesla customers do this. However, for those with high standards generally come to get it replaced to get full panel installations. Either way, the installer is extremely important.

That depends on how much you value the original paint. As a Signature (Red) owner, I'm biased towards protecting it.

$5,000-$7,000 is about the same as sales tax, so that's a reasonable amount (I often use the sales tax amount as a guide to whether it's cost effective or not). I had mine done, and I'm sure glad I did.

Had mine done, and some well-wisher smashed my car right rear panel with a shopping cart, no help sometimes. Its not a nice world out there ... No note, nothing.

A number of folks just leave the shopping cart where they unloaded and if it doesn't move right away they drive off. Sometimes it moves later, so the OJ might not have known.

I've driven m3's since '97 and have never has paint armor on my vehicles. does the s have issues with chips or is this just a preference? if so could I just get the nose and hood done?

thanks
All of the aerodynamic cars I've had have had chip issues. I have full coverage and it's really helped. The criteria I use for aftermarket items is "less or equal to sales tax and I'll consider it".

That depends on the original owner. My car only has so-called paint armor (3M Venture Shield in my case) on the front portion of the hood, the entire front of the car, the door edges and the trunk ledge area. The rest is detailed with Opti-Coat Pro. I chose to do that (sounds like same thing on the car you refer to) as my experience is that those are the most vulnerable areas for chips, road rash, etc.