Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Exterior: Paint Armor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not South Bay but Premiere Protective Films in Fremont are excellent. They aren't cheap but are some of the best around and stand by their work so will do a checkup 30 days after and fix and fit issues.

I had mine done at Premiere. Beautiful work! Can't even tell that there's film on. But definitely not cheap.

Call early to reserve a date. They fill up from cars coming in from all over the country. My car had to spend a night for a front wrap.

Also, how does paint armor affect waxing/coating? I've been following the car care thread and was interested in applying Opti Coat 2.0. Would it go on outside the paint armor and bond/set the same way as the bare paint?

I've heard that you can use any product on armor that you would on paint but I prefer to use the products approved/sold by the Film manufacturer. Probably a little more pricey and maybe not necessary.

When I noticed a stain from a dead bug on my film, they were able to get it out and suggested that I "condition" my armor frequently with their product to keep this from happening. I think there is a trade off between different brands with respect to clarity and stain resistance. I don't know the specifics.

I think brianman in an earlier post in this thread said that a full wrap of Xpel Ultimate would be about $7500. Others have mentioned slightly lower prices but since there's a lot of variability in what "full" actually covers, this may be the reason for the difference in price.

Also, how does paint armor affect waxing/coating? I've been following the car care thread and was interested in applying Opti Coat 2.0. Would it go on outside the paint armor and bond/set the same way as the bare paint?

Opti coat can be applied to clear coat, which most paint protection films use as a top layer. I have opticoated my car before applying the the paint armor. Will probably put opti coat on top of the paint armor though am not sure how it will affect the self healing properties of xpel ultimate

Thanks for info. I must have overlooked that. I went to their website and there is the price $54.96 per foot. Model S needs, i guess, around 90 feet. That's $4, 946.40 for end user. A dealer should have around 30% discount. So the labour would have to be around (more than) $2,500.- Is that OK or am I missing something?
I haven't run the numbers (and don't plan to, sorry) but I do have the impression it's very labor intensive and you don't want people "learning" with your vehicle. Also Met Detail includes quarterly waxes with their installation so there's some value to account for there as well.

Based on a similar thread on the teslamotors.com/forums site, I emailed Tesla and asked about the paint protection on the pearl white specifically. They emailed me back and said that THEY don't recommend it on that color. So I canceled it from my order (which, it seemed, they were more than willing to do...I'm Sig ~650)

Given the concerns about yellowing with the factory installed paint protection specifically on Pearl White, are there similar issues with Xpel Ultimate on this paint color. Would be interested in hearing from any Pearl White owners who have wrapped in the after market. Thanks

I keep hearing that xpel ultimate does not have the yellowing problem. I was told to avoid carnuba based waxes since they can cause yellowing, though.

I got a partial xpel ultimate wrap done - hood, front, front fenders, mirrors, nose cone done at AutoArmor in Lynnwood. They did a decent job and the pricing is on the web site but it's hard to compare prices because of different services. They claim to have done about 30 Teslas. So far I'm pretty happy and really appreciated their no up-sell model. The only seams I can see are on the mirrors. autoarmornw.com