Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Fatality Florida 7/9/22

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lot of speculation here. There is no indication in the article that any form of autopilot or driver assist was even on. What we know is a Tesla driver rammed a truck. How often does this happen with non-Tesla vehicles? Plenty.

As for teslas having more “autonomous” accidents… of course they do. They have many more cars on the road. A better measure would be accidents per autonomous mile driven.

Tesla is level 2. The driver is driving at all times and is to always keep hands on the wheel and situation awareness.

Reactions: PACEMD
Let's face it - we don't have all the details here.
Regardless, it does remind me of the reason when waiting to turn across an intersection or the like, I keep my foot firmly on the floor. The torque and acceleration is so instant that you can very easily nudge the gas pedal and be into the traffic before you even realise it!

Here is the only rest stop I found on Google near Gainesville. Rest Stop - Mile 382 · I-75, Gainesville, FL 32608 Looks like it could be this location based on the picture.

Story doesn't say which direction they were heading, but both sides have dedicated exit lane splitting from the right-most lane ~500ft or so before the rest stop. If it was on AP, is it possible it saw the lane split and chose the exit lane instead of staying straight? That would have driven them directly into the semi parking area.