Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Fatality Florida 7/9/22

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hate to say user Error but.....user error. Definitely super sad that it happened as I suspect they never even saw it coming.
Why so quick to blame the user? Maybe they pressed down on the stalk to engage TACC and the car accelerated to an unsafe speed.

There's a curvy rear entryway to my local Walmart that's maybe 500ft long, and my M3 shows the speed limit on it to be 55mph. Really confusing... there aren't any 55mph roads close to it. Makes me wonder what would happen if I engage TACC, but I'm sure not going to try it.

My take on this is... even if this was caused by an autopilot feature, Tesla will never admit to that. Any data they have that proves guilt will be modified before handing it over to the NHTSA.

That article is pretty damning. Seems like Tesla is responsible for the majority of autonomous driving accidents, including fatalities. People knew this would happen though, it's why Waymo never released a L2 system.

Waymo never released a Level 2 system cause it made no fiscal sense to do so, they are not really a car company they are a technology company and no auto manufacturer is going to buy something their car already does Lane keep and tacc

As to why I would blame the user is the same reason Tesla won't face consequence. (not that I agree with the cover) the drive was supposed to be in control. If the driver accidentally stomped on the go pedal and drove into the truck its them. It the accidentally engaged autopilot them. Even if was on autopilot why didn't the driver hit the breaks?

Re tacc on an off ram my car automatically slows however it will happily blow through the stop sign or lights at the end of the ramp if I don't press the break and shame on my if I let it happen.

Only way this can be pinned on tesla is if there was a complete computer failure and the car drove itself into the truck on its own which is the lease likely scenario of everyone that could come before it.

Face facts humans suck at driving the only reason we think we are better is cause we have the Inate ability to blame others for our mess ups.

Last edited:
It's sad, unless the driver is impaired, cannot imagine one will not brake or steer away at the last moment. The picture doesn't seem to show any skid marks (may be just the picture), not sure whether AEB has kicked in before it hits the trailer.

Last edited:
That would be a crime.

Sure would be. Doesn't mean they wouldn't do it. Does the data come from the car (e.g. NHTSA fetches it themselves) or does it pass through Tesla first? (e.g. uploads via LTE to Tesla servers).

I hope Elon is successful at much of what he sets out to do, because it's exciting to see the advancements... but I've read enough to know that he's not always honest.

Reactions: Wol747
Sure would be. Doesn't mean they wouldn't do it. Does the data come from the car (e.g. NHTSA fetches it themselves) or does it pass through Tesla first? (e.g. uploads via LTE to Tesla servers).

I hope Elon is successful at much of what he sets out to do, because it's exciting to see the advancements... but I've read enough to know that he's not always honest.
Not only will regulators be investigating, but there will likely be civil and/or criminal court cases. If the evidence is not wholly and accurately disclosed even in one instance, there would be class actions, shareholder revolts, and maybe jail time involved. I doubt if the corporate lawyers at Tesla would temp fate in this way. Tesla and Musk want to fix the issues as much as anyone. Finding out what happened should be in everyone's interest.

it runs through Tesla's servers. They then report the data to the relevant agencies which is a lot more than most manufactures do at this point. You are totally right on the matter of honesty though he has said a lot of things that have not really come to pass.

i wonder as that was a radar car if it was it shoots too low to the ground to see a Semi and have the AEB activate. We already know that radar cars can se cars in front of cars by bouncing it off the road.

Last edited by a moderator:
They then report the data to the relevant agencies which is a lot more than most manufactures do at this point.

So unless the data is immediately available to the NHTSA in its unaltered state, someone is deciding what data to present. Even just omission is sufficient to avoid blame (as opposed to falsifying). With all the corruption from those that are wealthy, I absolutely wouldn't put it past Tesla's leadership to cover up incidents like this. It wouldn't even beooutlandish, just par for the course.

You are totally right on the matter of honesty though he has said a lot of things that have not really come to pass.

I don't even mean all of the missed deadlines or broken promises... I think many of those are just high hopes from an overchiever and are 100% forgivable.

Even this Twitter ordeal is clearly murky and backpedaling.

• Disagree
Reactions: Hayseed_MS
There is more to the story, that car had to run off of the highway at speed and into a truck parked at a rest stop. How do you do that? Falling asleep with only cruise control on? Some software malfunction never before documented? In any case, even if the data comes from Tesla it can be obtained, taken directly from the car. Assuming the hardware involved is left intact. Speculate all you want but the truth is we do not know how that data is obtained.

Yeah, at first I thought perhaps they did this from a standstill or a slow speed, but another article mentions they drove off the thruway at speed and crashed into the truck.

My official guess: carpeted floor mat folded up and held down the accelerator. The driver, being panicked, pulled off the thruway but at high speed had a hard time controlling it.

These types of accidents *have* happened in all sorts of vehicles, not just Tesla... although with the acceleration of a Tesla it might be a lot scarier.

With trauma and a single vehicle collision, we always consider what may have happened to the driver, seizure, cardiac arrhythmia, myocardial infarction, hypoglycemia, falling asleep, blah blah blah.........something to prevent the operator from taking control.......that and cruise control could give enough speed for that event. AP/NOA would have disengaged and regen braking slowed before impact.

You don't have to be going too fast to sheer the top of a car. Glass and Frame is usually weaker than the bottom deck of the truck, AC induction motor would not bring that car to a stop with regen coming off a ramp.

Autopilot on -> car is in the exit lane -> car takes exit -> AP notices and starts to slow down but its a short ramp -> lines disappear then re-appear for truck parking -> splat due to radar miss.

all that takes into account that some type of cheat device was on the wheel making it think someone was driving.

oh-no.gif