Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Wanted (WTB) and For Trade (WTT) listings should now be posted in one of the Marketplace categories. To post a WTB or WTT trade thread, please click here, then choose the category most appropriate for your listing, and then select the appropriate listing type.

Model S + free supercharging + 0-60 < 4.4 for $40-$45k

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anything out there? The free supercharging would be nice as I'll be driving quite a bit for work long distances, otherwise, I'd use ev-cpo or another website to monitor for Model S with non-free supercharging.

The 0-60 requirement limits me to, I believe, 85D, 90D, P85* models.

Thanks!

Search for that word here and filter threads only, you'll find out quickly what's going on.

Initially these 75Ds would do about 5.1 seconds 0 - 60 but sometimes in 2017 Tesla started offering this "uncorking" upgrade and most (if not all) facelift 75Ds would qualify. I think it involved some hardware upgrade (contactors) and a new firmware configuration. Most of the used facelift 75Ds Tesla sells come already uncorked or it's solved with a quick service center visit. This is the ideal scenario. As you'll search, you'll run into threads describing a lot of pain with a car bough from Tesla, advertised with 4.2 seconds and then the buyer finds out that it's not possible to have it uncorked.

My 2016 75D almost had a similar story. Bought it from Tesla and sure enough it was the slow one (over 5 seconds 0-60). Two mobile tech visits and one service center appointment I was told it cannot be uncorked and basically directed to pound sand when I told them they advertised it as 4.2 seconds capable. On my next service center visit (different location) they happily uncorked it with a quick software update and it's all good now. Insanely fast. Neck hurting fast :)

So yeah, if you want as new as you can get, look for a facelift 75D, if you're ok with an older one, most likely a 2015 85D would be in the budget with some patience.

Since you mentioned you need free supercharging, that means private sale only (actually I think some 90Ds from Tesla came with free supercharging again for a while, not sure if this is the case anymore but anyway those may still be over budget) so then you'll be able to tell easily on a drive test if it's uncorked or not.

Search for that word here and filter threads only, you'll find out quickly what's going on.

Initially these 75Ds would do about 5.1 seconds 0 - 60 but sometimes in 2017 Tesla started offering this "uncorking" upgrade and most (if not all) facelift 75Ds would qualify. I think it involved some hardware upgrade (contactors) and a new firmware configuration. Most of the used facelift 75Ds Tesla sells come already uncorked or it's solved with a quick service center visit. This is the ideal scenario. As you'll search, you'll run into threads describing a lot of pain with a car bough from Tesla, advertised with 4.2 seconds and then the buyer finds out that it's not possible to have it uncorked.

My 2016 75D almost had a similar story. Bought it from Tesla and sure enough it was the slow one (over 5 seconds 0-60). Two mobile tech visits and one service center appointment I was told it cannot be uncorked and basically directed to pound sand when I told them they advertised it as 4.2 seconds capable. On my next service center visit (different location) they happily uncorked it with a quick software update and it's all good now. Insanely fast. Neck hurting fast :)

So yeah, if you want as new as you can get, look for a facelift 75D, if you're ok with an older one, most likely a 2015 85D would be in the budget with some patience.

Since you mentioned you need free supercharging, that means private sale only (actually I think some 90Ds from Tesla came with free supercharging again for a while, not sure if this is the case anymore but anyway those may still be over budget) so then you'll be able to tell easily on a drive test if it's uncorked or not.

Most excellent. Thanks for this information. I'm glad they were able to get you uncorked :)