Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S free supercharging.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So from what I’ve read certain older Tesla models came with lifetime transferable free supercharging, mostly the 2015 models. So just to clarify if I bought one from non Tesla dealer that hadn’t been sold back to Tesla ever it would still have this feature?

So from what I’ve read certain older Tesla models came with lifetime transferable free supercharging, mostly the 2015 models. So just to clarify if I bought one from non Tesla dealer that hadn’t been sold back to Tesla ever it would still have this feature?
Welcome to the forum and considering you joined yesterday, I will not hold it against you that you don't know to search for FUSC or SC01. You can search and find a lot of great information on this topic, but to answer your question, yes if the car has Free Unlimited Supercharging and is a pre-2017 (even some 2017 cars) it is transferable to a private party.

From here I will let you search for more details.

The cutoff for actual transferrable free supercharging is somewhere around January 2017 orders or delivery - it is murky. ALL of them prior to that point SHOULD have free supercharging, with the following exceptions:

Any cars sold that were originally sold with a 40 battery. Supercharging was not available for these cars.
Any cars that were originally base model 60 cars in 2012/2013 that show supercharging as an additional purchase option - these MAY have it if bought at the time of purchase. If not.... nope, but hardly any of these or the 40s actually still exist.
ANY cars (Model S or X) that were originally LEASE and taken back by Tesla after mid 2019 or so, which was when the bastards started stripping the supercharging from them. It started right after the release of the Model 3.
ANY cars (Model S or X) that were original SOLD (not lease) but had been traded back to Tesla and then sold at auction.

If Tesla had actual ownership of the car, then they have the ability to strip the premium connectivity and the free unlimited supercharging. GENERALLY SPEAKING if the car's option screen shows premium connectivity as an "included package" then it SHOULD also have free unlimited supercharging but buying private seller is the best way. Dealers are not always trustworthy with their information b/c they just don't know about this sort of thing.

Reactions: paulchou
The cutoff for actual transferrable free supercharging is somewhere around January 2017 orders or delivery - it is murky. ALL of them prior to that point SHOULD have free supercharging, with the following exceptions:

Any cars sold that were originally sold with a 40 battery. Supercharging was not available for these cars.
Any cars that were originally base model 60 cars in 2012/2013 that show supercharging as an additional purchase option - these MAY have it if bought at the time of purchase. If not.... nope, but hardly any of these or the 40s actually still exist.
ANY cars (Model S or X) that were originally LEASE and taken back by Tesla after mid 2019 or so, which was when the bastards started stripping the supercharging from them. It started right after the release of the Model 3.
ANY cars (Model S or X) that were original SOLD (not lease) but had been traded back to Tesla and then sold at auction.

If Tesla had actual ownership of the car, then they have the ability to strip the premium connectivity and the free unlimited supercharging. GENERALLY SPEAKING if the car's option screen shows premium connectivity as an "included package" then it SHOULD also have free unlimited supercharging but buying private seller is the best way. Dealers are not always trustworthy with their information b/c they just don't know about this sort of thing.
It's no murky at all. The car had to be ordered before 1/14/2017 and delivered prior to April 2017 both to get transferrable FUSC. That part is pretty straightforward. Where it gets murky is everything that happened after that which makes it a total crapshoot basically at this point.

And see - I've heard that it had to be ordered by January FIRST, with the delivery by April (which really isn't the customer's fault if that was delayed!) in order for the FUSC to be on the car.

That's why I said it gets murky with the 2017s, b/c of that and all the "will he or won't he" cold feet nonsense that Darth Muskrat pulled after that. It's too risky to try it for a $40k gamble, unless you can look right at the account info with the previous owner.

No - and that removal of features AFTER the purchase and ownership transfer is most very likely illegal theft.... BUT you have to know it is a possibility first and have taken screenshots and video / images of everything JUST IN CASE, b/c when they do things like that, it is magically "always been that way, there's no record of any change" and you have to have the evidence to slap them with before they will (maybe) do the right thing and put it back.

It's all just petty BS from a mega-billionaire who needs your $120/year for that premium connectivity to make his rent payments. He's a child.

What I’m saying is if you’re wondering if a newly purchased used Tesla still has free supercharging active can you just try charging at a SC and if you get a bill it either never had it or it was removed.
But the inverse is decisively not true. If you’re wondering if a Tesla you’re CONSIDERING buying from a dealer has and will continue to have free supercharging (like OP is asking in this thread), just “taking it to a supercharger to see if you get charged” is not a definitive test in any way.

But the inverse is decisively not true. If you’re wondering if a Tesla you’re CONSIDERING buying from a dealer has and will continue to have free supercharging, just “taking it to a supercharger to see if you get charged” is not a definitive test in any way.

I didn’t mention the inverse and wasn’t commenting on it. OP stated in their 1st message he already bought the car. I was responding in kind.

Buyers just need beware it could go away in 3 days, 3 weeks, 3 months. 3 years or 3 decades.

Like with anything digital there is no guarantee that it will be there in the future. iTunes music could go away. MoviesAnywhere could go away; like UltraViolet did. One reason some people still buy physical media - they don’t want to risk loosing access in their lifetime; regardless if they make a digital backup or not.

Free SuperCharging could go away. Tesla could go under. They could abandon SuperCharging. Not saying it will happen but there are no guarantees in life and even less for digital items that rely on 3rd party servers.

• Disagree
Reactions: israndy
I didn’t mention the inverse and wasn’t commenting on it. OP stated in their 1st message he already bought the car. I was responding in kind.
We must have read different first messages.

That said, frankly it doesn’t matter if OP has bought the car already or not - your original statement of “Isn’t the simple answer just to take it to a supercharger and see if you get charged” isn’t an actual test or simple answer and can’t speak definitively to whether or not the new owner can and should expect to retain the feature.

Reactions: jeremymc7
And see - I've heard that it had to be ordered by January FIRST, with the delivery by April (which really isn't the customer's fault if that was delayed!) in order for the FUSC to be on the car.

That's why I said it gets murky with the 2017s, b/c of that and all the "will he or won't he" cold feet nonsense that Darth Muskrat pulled after that. It's too risky to try it for a $40k gamble, unless you can look right at the account info with the previous owner.
Yes, in 2016 that was originally the deadline for ordering but near the end of 2016 it was extended two weeks to January 14th 2017. Any info about it being the 1st of January 2017 is outdated per Tesla's own announcement. There is a fair amount of confusion on this topic w/o introducing even more on the aspects we know to be fact.

Lol - trusting Tesla's own announcements to this (or any other) situation is EQUALLY unstable ground. In particular, because around the release of the M3, Jon McNeill (then VP of sales) announced in answer to a question that vehicles that previously had FUSC would have it for the life of the vehicle. Statements we know now to be built on vapor. He's gone, and so is the "guarantee" of it following the life of the vehicle.

• Disagree
Reactions: israndy
Lol - trusting Tesla's own announcements to this (or any other) situation is EQUALLY unstable ground. In particular, because around the release of the M3, Jon McNeill (then VP of sales) announced in answer to a question that vehicles that previously had FUSC would have it for the life of the vehicle. Statements we know now to be built on vapor. He's gone, and so is the "guarantee" of it following the life of the vehicle.
The dates listed are not in question. Not really sure what your motivation is to try to cast doubt upon specific dates that are known to be the gates for the feature in question. What Tesla has done after the fact to remove it from vehicles that met those requirements is a separate conversation entirely.

I agree it can be hard to confirm if a 2017 has transferrable supercharging, but not because the requirements are murky.

The original order cut-off was end of 2016. That where hearing it had to be order by Jan 1st might originate. However, what that fails to recognize is that Tesla at the last minute extended the order cut-off to Jan 15, 2017. Reason for the last minute extension is that Tesla's website couldn't deal with the volume of traffic from people trying to order at the last minute. The result was Tesla extended the order cut-off point in a move of trying to acknowledge issue on their side.

Now where it gets murky is there's no clean way for anyone to know from VIN or build date whether the car was ordered by Jan 17, 2017. That's where you can have two cars, built on the same day in 1Q 2017, delivered on the same day in 1Q 2017, but one will have transferrable free supercharging, the other will not, because they were ordered on different days.

I agree it can be hard to confirm if a 2017 has transferrable supercharging, but not because the requirements are murky.

The original order cut-off was end of 2016. That where hearing it had to be order by Jan 1st might originate. However, what that fails to recognize is that Tesla at the last minute extended the order cut-off to Jan 15, 2017. Reason for the last minute extension is that Tesla's website couldn't deal with the volume of traffic from people trying to order at the last minute. The result was Tesla extended the order cut-off point in a move of trying to acknowledge issue on their side.

Now where it gets murky is there's no clean way for anyone to know from VIN or build date whether the car was ordered by Jan 17, 2017. That's where you can have two cars, built on the same day in 1Q 2017, delivered on the same day in 1Q 2017, but one will have transferrable free supercharging, the other will not, because they were ordered on different days.
...to this you can also add if the car originally had it but ended up in Tesla's hands again at some point (lease return, trade-in, etc.) after the time period they started removing it from all cars before sending them off to auction or reselling them via their CPO (long since discontinued) or now through their used car program.

Those are the murky waters that confuse the topic but not the dates of order/delivery. Those are constants of which we can be sure.

If a car was either ordered or delivered after those dates your research can end because it never had FUSC (the true version that was fully transferrable free-of-charge to the next owner in perpetuity for the life of the car) in the first place. The version of free Supercharging that came after that for a brief period was for the first/current owner only and did NOT transfer.

I see a lot of posts confusing those dates as well as the various versions (SC01, SC02, ect.) so if people had a better understanding of those dates and differences in feature alone it would clear up an awful lot of confusion on this topic. Like I said, it's confusing enough w/o needlessly adding confusion where it doesn't exist.

I see a lot of posts confusing those dates as well as the various versions (SC01, SC02, ect.)
Let alone the confusion around what's become an all too common use of the abbreviation ect. when people really mean etc., abbreviation for et cetera. Unless of course you really mean electroconvulsive therapy, i.e., ECT, which I guess really could result in confusion!

sorry, the all to common misuse of ect is one of my little quirks ... just as some will quickly point out using break versus brake, etc.​

If free unlimited supercharging is that important to anyone, then about the only way anyone can be totally certain is to be purchasing from the original owner and have them pull the html string behind the image for the car in their owners account. I know of no good way to independently confirm from the build date on the car build after 2016 that you can be guarantee it was ordered before Jan 15, 2017. Tesla during that era did not build or deliver cars in order sequence and no way to know the order date short of talking or getting documentation from the original owner.