Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S going to the dogs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My SO loves standard poodles and the picture of the two poodles in the front seats gave her a grin on a very rough work day (12 hours of hair pulling frustration). Her poodle insisted on sitting in the passenger seat, so she got a seatbelt harness for the dog.

I agree with what others have said about the dog box. Dogs are pack animals and want to hang out with their pack. Isolating them in a box on the bumper would be emotionally stressful for the dog, and you often have little control with someone rear ending you. I've been rear ended twice and there was nothing I could have done. Some clown plows into the back of your car and the dog is toast. Inside the car they have the benefit of the crash cage and other safety devices humans have.

Additionally I would think riding on the bumper would be pretty bumpy. In front of and behind the wheels gets more up and down motion than between the wheels. Something most kids who have ever ridden a school bus know and the "cool " stake out the seats at the far back where the ride is more entertaining (for a kid). This is true for anything moving around, the further you get from the center and pivot points, the rougher the ride.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o02_s00

Thanks, I'm looking forward to your review.

Long story short - it works fine on the Model S seat & headrests:
Dogs1.jpg

It fits tight and won't come off. I know it doesn't look like it (especially on the right), since I just temporarily re-attached it for the picture, but once all the straps are tightened it is fine. It can't lift out, and the dogs can't get through there. By great luck, the A/C vent at the back is fully exposed.

Couple of things:

a) The manual talks about 3 ways to do the headrests. None of them will work... Instead, take the d-rings off, flip the long straps around and attach them to the clasps. Took me 15 minutes to figure this out the first time, but now it takes seconds to put these up.
b) For the straps at the bottom - lift the seats all the way (electrical seats... not sure if the manual ones can do this), insert the S-hooks through the sides (which is now open), and weave them through and hook the hook up to one of those support wires going across the bottom of the seat. (Those big thick welded in wires, not the electrical ones of course - no idea what they're called).
c) Tighten the bottom straps and the top won't come off. You should put the seats back in drive positions before tightening.