Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S HVAC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

vfx

Aug 18, 2006
CA CA
Nanoair

While this is an article for home HVAC, the low energy consumption and silence of this unit make it worth looking at for an Electric Vehicle.
This process can be much more efficient than a conventional refrigeration cycle, Ehrenberg says. "Our overall efficiency is so high as to be unbelievable. What we like to say is that we use 50% less energy than what's required for an equivalent amount of conventional cooling and dehumidification."

DoE takes a look at a refrigerant-free A/C
But someone watching the NanoAir system work would likely be struck by one aspect of its operation in particular: "It's dead silent," says Ehrenberg. "We have air-moving devices of various sorts but they tend to be low noise."

The modified Prius ac could be modified to be a heat pump. I think the reference that I heard from an engineer mentioned a reference to the Prius ac being electric rather than driven by an engine. I think this allows it to be a heat pump. Heat pumps are only efficient to around 0C. The air would feel cold.

I expect that the best choice for heat is seat warmers and resistance heat for the air with a lower fan setting than what we are used to having. The bright side is nearly instant heated air.

I am not sure about the 3rd gen, but this old thread suggested that the Prius had a "hybrid" (apropos) heater which could provide some heat with electric elements and some from the ICE coolant when the ICE is running. It was suggested that winter MPG is less in Prius because it runs the ICE more frequently when you want more cabin heat.
Prius Heater - PriusChat Forums
...yes it does have an impact on fuel ecomomy in the winter. The heater core has two electic heater elements embedded in it to provide some warmth while the ICE is in pre heat mode with the thermous flush, as it does this there is a rotating valve in the heater hose circuit to block the thermous flush from going into the heater core. The best thing to do is on first start to set the fan speed to low to maximise the electric heater output. Then when the low coolant temp light goes out turn the fan speed up. But just like all automobiles the heat in the cabin comes from burning gasoline. Sorry life sucks and you burn more gas in the winter...