Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S in LA Store

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll take a base Model S over a loaded ICE "anything" any day. I enjoy having bells and whistles too. But adding an aftermarket GPS is cheap, easy, and just as useful. Adding an aftermarket stereo can be done later on. Buying nicer rims can be cheaper and delayed when money is available.

I don't mean to demean your POV, I really do understand what you're saying and would love to get a loaded version too. But if it means going with a 230 mile range instead of a 300 mile range. And if it means I have to forgo 3G and use an iPhone instead, and if it means I forgo the sunroof to keep the price under $70k, then I'll do that...the car is still what's most important to me, not the bells and whistles.
I couldn't agree more, Dr. Fusco. Assuming that all of these amenities aren't bundled, and assuming that the extended range battery is the most expensive option, then the ability to rent a 300 mile extended range battery for occasional long trips should be an easy compromise (assuming you're located somewhere they can do that for you) to keep the cost down and still get all of the internal bells and whistles.

Panoramic roofs and big rims are nice to have, but I can definitely live without purely asthetic things. I assume that the 17 inch monitor with 3G, Google Maps etc. will be standard (what else would they put there -- a bunch of buttons?), but if not, that's probably something I'd be willing to pony up for. And if the 2 extra rear-facing seats are extra, I'll have to pay for those, but beyond that, I figure everything else is truly an option depending on the price.

Also, keep in mind that Tesla wants to try leasing these cars, and resale values for an electric vehicle, which will be projected to hold it's value, presumably, better than an ICE with all of its parts that break down, may be much greater, which will make leasing cars with higher price tags much more affordable.

Unless I keep my current car and own 2 then I MUST have the 300 mile pack. If I do that I will have to forgo any options. Which I am not keen on. With the 160 mile pack I could probably load it with all the options and stay in my $ range. This is a delima for me. I really don't care to own 2 cars but I like to drive a VERY nice car. I talked to the sales rep about buying the 160 mile pack and renting or leasing a 300 mile pack for the summer and he seemed to indicate that probably would not be a viable option because of the design of the car. However, that idea did not seem to agree with logic. Basically told me that a 160 mile pack probably would not be exchangeable with a 300 mile pack. You could exchange 160 for 160 and 300 for 300 but not 160 for 300. I really can't see TM using this logic but perhaps I am missing something or he does know more than I do .....

You could exchange 160 for 160 and 300 for 300 but not 160 for 300. I really can't see TM using this logic but perhaps I am missing something or he does know more than I do .....

That doesn't make sense. How are you going to "rent" a 300 pack if that's the case? I though the idea is if you have a smaller pack, you can rent a larger one later. It's still the same car so it should still work.

On the options: the glass roof on the mustang is $2000 so expect it to be more on the Model S.

The wheels on the prototype start at $1100+ EACH for 20" so it'll definitely be optional.

Last edited:
The excitement for this car has also spurred an uptick in Roadster sales.

This is welcome news!

I'm also targeting a real-world $60k price tag, but can't really think of any reason we shouldn't be able to get a darn nice car for that price.

Stating the obvious, but: Don't forget the prices they are slinging around is after a federal rebate which might take a year to come in. When you are budgeting ahead of time, and don't want a bare bones car, and don't want to spend more than $60k: remember the no-frills base car is going to cost nearly that. You will get a rebate later... but you will have to front the cash in the mean time.

That was my thought as well. However, this source which is fairly reliable seemed to indicate that the batteries would be different shapes and sizes and therefore would not be interchangable. I got the impression that with the smaller pack they would use the extra space for something else and therefore a larger pack would not fit in the car. I like you was amazed to hear this line of thought. Perhaps - I am hoping so- it was a miscommunication.

Part of my thoughts were to buy the 160 mile pack as it would be good for 80% of my use. During the 4 months in the summer I would NEED the 300 mile pack. I was hoping to rent it for the summer - even if it was by the week or by the trip. That way I could afford a loaded car and pay the extra to rent the larger battery when I needed it. Though maybe eveyone would have that idea and they would not sell any 300 mile packs .... :rolleyes:

I had my TM rep check on things and to set the record straight this is what he said...

I spoke with our Product Manager, and this is indeed in the plan, and would be branded like a weekend trip program. So, the idea would be that you could buy the 160 mile pack and switch out for the 300 mile pack when needed. With all of this, there is some level of uncertainty but that is the direction we are going.

So it was a miscommunication. Just wanted to clear that up. This is GREAT news for me. As I will be able to get the loaded car I want and still take it to my beach house. :biggrin: