Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S in two showrooms this coming weekend

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apparently, Elon gave the go-ahead to let people sit in the cars and get closer in general! (*strider* confirmed this).

Pictures of the white beta in Santana Row (courtesy *augkuo*):
Picasa Web Albums - Maui Trip - Tesla Model S...

Will be taking the wife and son to the Menlo Park facility to check out the other (black? red?) beta tomorrow at around 11:45. Hope to see some of you locals over there!

Not sure where to post this but I took a snap shot of the underbelly of the one in Menlo Park. View is from the front. Quite a belly pan! Better than my Volt.
bellypan.jpg

I just came back from Santana row. Yes, you do get to sit and get some demo time with the console. There is a line, but word to the wise... reservation holders get to cut in line. (I didn't find out about this until after 15 min or so, desperately trying to hold back my four-year old son from storming the car.)

The only disappointment for me was that my son couldn't try out the rear facing trunk seats.

This Red beta is headed for Seattle apparently, possibly for the Bellevue Square store opening in early November.

I don't know if it is overexposure or what, folks, but, when I saw this up close and at length today, I was like "meh". The touchscreen apart, the interior looked very spartan, dated and hardly luxurious :frown: Not at all the sense (that I'm experiencing something special) I got when checking out a BMW 5 or a Lexus GS at their dealerships.

Tesla really has a long way to go to make this a compelling luxury sedan for that price, the eco-cred apart. I personally am not convinced anymore! :confused: Looking forward to the full list of specs this winter and the next beta/RC (Release Candidate) iteration of the car in the spring.

This Red beta is headed for Seattle apparently, possibly for the Bellevue Square store opening in early November.

Yay! I was hoping it would be the red one. I want to see that paint job up close.

As for the interior, I hear what you're saying and it's very possible that Tesla won't be able to reach the luxury bar that you expect. However, I think the interior is the most "slapped together" part of the car and they have lots of time (and have had lots of time since these were originally designed for building) to upgrade the interior. I'm hoping they come up with a wood trim option. That vertical tree leaf design doesn't do much for me and the rest looks like cheap plastic.

Great pictures gg, thanks!

However, I think the interior is the most "slapped together" part of the car and they have lots of time (and have had lots of time since these were originally designed for building) to upgrade the interior. I'm hoping they come up with a wood trim option. That vertical tree leaf design doesn't do much for me and the rest looks like cheap plastic.

Yes, "slapped together" is a good description of the fit & finish of the interior. I was unhappy about seeing the profile of the thin wood veneer visible with the doors open whereas other manufacturers recess the veneer or wrap the veneer around corners to give the illusion of thick wood when the doors are open. Also unhappy with the crease in the under dash at knee level, doesn't have a molded or substantial look. Lastly, the leather stitching underneath the steering column just ends, giving an unfinished look to this area.

The drumbeat of negative comments about the Model S interior continues on a number of threads at this forum and at Teslamotors.com forums. Sure do hope Tesla is taking note and will make some significant modifications. It all begins with re-introduction of a center console (a la the pre-alpha S) and then extends to better integration of the display (interesting that the display seemed fully integrated in the pre-alpha) and more care with the dash and seats.

Somebody probably thought it would be a good idea to open up th floor area between the two front seats.

I agree that bringing the console back would be better. Better cup holders, place for shift buttons/stick, more asthetical placement of the 17" screen and lots of storage possibilities.

Somebody probably thought it would be a good idea to open up th floor area between the two front seats.

I agree that bringing the console back would be better. Better cup holders, place for shift buttons/stick, more asthetical placement of the 17" screen and lots of storage possibilities.

I like the original prototype console much better as well. Though the exterior of the beta is better than the prototype so it's not a matter of liking what I saw first. Heck I even like the Alpha nose cone as long as it was more matte. Of note the prototype dash doesn't look like it has adjustable vents so it would need to be modified a bit.

I think the large open space below the LCD screen (between the two dividers) is actually meant for things like maps (in so far as one still needs them), (parking-) tickets, garage openers, and other stuff. Not sure though. It took me a little getting used to the new dashboard, but now I like it to the point that I'm afraid if they change it again I might not like it anymore. I'd now choose it over the previous design if both were options. An advantage is it that allows the LCD screen to be mounted higher, and without obstructions in the lower corners. It also allows the speedometer display to be wider and to include the current song and the great Wh/mile graph.