Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S intermittently loses 4G/LTE/network connectivity while powered off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello! Just wanted to check in and ask if the problem reocured since updatin to 2022.8.2? Kind of hesitant as I'm still on a pre V11 Holiday Version on my AP1 MCU2 car...Thanks!
I hesitate to say it's for certain fixed (knowing that some of these bugs in the car seem to come and go for ages), but yes since 2022.8.2 a few weeks ago the problem seems to be gone for me. YMMV. Currently on 2022.12.1

Hello all//
Yesterday we were in the local barber shop. The passenger door was inadvertently left open. Normally I would expect an alert from the App that would tell me that the door is open. The App did not alert me. Did a lot of checking and found that the car defaults to WiFi if it's in a defined network - like at home. LTE is turned off. This sort of makes sense. Sort of. As soon as I pull away from my home WiFI coverage LTE comes back on. I still need to go somewhere and walk away from the car for a bit. Let it go into 'off' mode. Then check if I still have access to the car with LTE. Oh - car is a 2018 XLR 100d.
Recently updated to 2022.8.3. From my perspective this is a software issue.

is the problem now fixed with you? and have you ever checked how often the car is woken up to recharge the 12V battery? My car had AP2 and was converted to AP3 and MCU2 and is always available, but for this he is woken up every 50 minutes and then remains 26 min online only to recharge the 12V battery. Then the whole thing starts all over again 50 min sleep 26min online.
And that although the 12V is on an external charger.
This is of course unacceptable because it is woken up unnecessarily and thus the systems wear out much faster (pumps, DC/DC converters, etc.).

is the problem now fixed with you? and have you ever checked how often the car is woken up to recharge the 12V battery? My car had AP2 and was converted to AP3 and MCU2 and is always available, but for this he is woken up every 50 minutes and then remains 26 min online only to recharge the 12V battery. Then the whole thing starts all over again 50 min sleep 26min online.
This is of course unacceptable because it is woken up unnecessarily and thus the systems wear out much faster (pumps, DC/DC converters, etc.).

is the problem now fixed with you?
Yeah.. the original problem seems fixed for me. At least most of the time.

and have you ever checked how often the car is woken up to recharge the 12V battery?
No.

How do you do that?

My car had AP2 and was converted to AP3 and MCU2 and is always available
You had MCU1 before?

I had MCU2 even before the AP3 upgrade.

When you write "always available", do you mean you can always connect to it with the app? (never disconnects)

, but for this he is woken up every 50 minutes and then remains 26 min online only to recharge the 12V battery.
How do you know this?

Then the whole thing starts all over again 50 min sleep 26min online.
I agree it is certainly not ideal.

But could it be normal for all Model S'es with AP3?

How do you do that?
With the Teslalogger and with a baby monitor so that no queries come from external software.
You had MCU1 before?

I had MCU2 even before the AP3 upgrade.

When you write "always available", do you mean you can always connect to it with the app? (never disconnects)
Yes MCU1 AP2
it always takes only a short time until the car is online in the app... seconds
How do you know this?
because the car wakes up at regular intervals and it can only be to recharge the 12V. Wk057 has written yes these vehicles have no DC/DC which is only for standby.
I agree it is certainly not ideal.

But could it be normal for all Model S'es with AP3?
not ideal yes, and not acceptable to me as a technician

Attachments

• Bild 23.11.22 um 19.00.jpg
    Bild 23.11.22 um 19.00.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 67
With the Teslalogger and with a baby monitor so that no queries come from external software.
I think you have to elaborate a bit on this one. 😀
because the car wakes up at regular intervals and it can only be to recharge the 12V. Wk057 has written yes these vehicles have no DC/DC which is only for standby.
Why couldn't it be because the Tesla servers is polling data from it?

You don't use any API or other remote logging tools against the Tesla servers/services?
Like abetterrouteplanner.com?

Back to the original topic:

THE ORIGINAL PROBLEM IS BACK !! ☹️

Noticed it a week ago. May have been there before that. I wanted to be sure it wasn't the car just having a bad day.

Of course it had to be starting the exact moment I REALLY needed it...

Thanks, Tesla...

Why couldn't it be because the Tesla servers is polling data from it?

You don't use any API or other remote logging tools against the Tesla servers/services?
Like abetterrouteplanner.com?
of course, it is also possible that tesla is requesting data.
I just thought tesla would know that, but you're right - in my experience, tesla never tells you the truth anyway.

i have changed the password and activated the 2 factor authentication. so from my side there are no queries, i even put my phone in flight mode.

This is definitely still an issue. It is on a couple threads in the UK forums and a few here in the states. It appears to be a larger problem than it seems.

I recently had a service appt, which I went to, only to be told it isn't a hardware issue and they won't do anything about it. I've owned model s for nearly a decade. Just recently upgraded and this starts happening. My gen 1 MS never did this. Maybe there's a connection there (pun intended). I've parked in the same garage bay at the same house since I became an owner in 2014.

This is mostly just a bump to hopefully get some answers soon. Fingers crossed.