Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S intermittently loses 4G/LTE/network connectivity while powered off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
same issue for me since the mcu2 retrofit last week. Very annoying
Same, if I knew it would be an issue I would’ve thought twice about the upgrade. Basically renders the app completely useless unless you’re at home and your car is on your home Wi-Fi. I did some checks during the day and for me atleast, after 20min roughly the car will disconnect from the internet with no way to communicate to the app or vice versa, then of course the lack of lte connect for a few minutes after entering the car.

If I was told that if I upgrade my car I’d lose all use of my app and the ability to cool or heat my car and lose internet the first few minutes of every drive I would’ve definitely thought twice. After reading through the whole thread it seems as though the “energy savings” button being put back into the ui would be the perfect fix. It would enable people to choose between internet in their car and the app working and having less phantom drain of always being slightly on.

I think this is a country border issue at the telephone company. Instead of just switching cells, you are likely also switching plans and carriers. The new country's towers may not be able to seamlessly authorize you in the new country to continue the existing connection and verify you have a valid data plan. Resetting the connection would then make the connection work. I guess the Tesla would try resetting the connection in the past when it worked. Perhaps you could toggle the cell connection in the car off and back on manually. Try switching to WiFi and then back.
Just started happening to my MS within the past couple of weeks. Since I don't drive across borders or switch countries every time I park my car, this makes no sense at all.

Reactions: croman
I have a Dec-2015 Model S which came with LTE, and got the MCU2 upgrade in Sep 2021. Originally for the first several months after MCU2 upgrade the LTE connection was normally solid getting into the car - I use Spotify all the time and I noticed unlike with MCU1 music would play reliably as soon as I got in the car with MCU2. But sometime after one of the recent v11 software updates now often when I get in the car Spotify won't play because of no connectivity / no LTE bars for the first couple minutes of driving. Maybe same problem others are reporting here. Just updated last night to 2022.8.2 but haven't tested that yet; problem was still happening on previous version 2022.4.5.3

yesterday I drove about 350 km, 2 charges (one public CCS station, one supercharger), no black screens, no lte disconnected
I discovered that they removed the display of the power in charge in DC on public CCS station : the car displays volts, amperes but not the kW. The app displays the kW... Strange
software version 2022.4.5.3

yesterday I drove about 350 km, 2 charges (one public CCS station, one supercharger), no black screens, no lte disconnected
I discovered that they removed the display of the power in charge in DC on public CCS station : the car displays volts, amperes but not the kW. The app displays the kW... Strange
software version 2022.4.5.3
So you did not receive either the latest 2022.8.2, which seems to be pushed to many, also with AP1.
I'm also still on 2022.4.5.3, for a few weeks. LTE disconnect still happens for me.

HI Im on 22.4.5.21 ( latest FSD beta 10.11.2) , it happens about every two to three days ) on my '17 Ms AP 3. I drive for about 2-3 minutes and it comes back on.. The bug is probably in the power saving SW .interestingly when I am home and connected to wifi , when Ieave the house it never does it only when I am parked some where for several hours on LTE (like in the work parking lot). its doen not seem to matter if I have sentry on or not. it is noticeable but pretty low on my super annoying list. I just adapt as I think of the whole car a a work in progress. since 2017, I have things that have been much more annoying ( Like losing streaming for like a month!), squirrely windshield washers, lost USB connection. no turn signal sound etc. etc. the fixes eventually came. keep askign the SC .. they push fixes up by how many people complain about them