Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Keychain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got this leather one. I really like it a lot!
Super low profile in my pocket. Also available in black & White.
Key Fob Case for Tesla Model S - Car Key Sleeve from Genuine leather Hand Stitched by Utopicar (Red) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071L8RWBF/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_o1xnAbWJSBMNQ
3E82A7E3-F7B2-4646-9817-7F4AD1B11EED.jpeg
2887803C-F55B-477B-987A-BB3DA7B69B7F.jpeg
B3798AAB-8898-4D08-A7F2-01E474C39D2B.jpeg

Haven’t had much luck with the silicone or leather variants, whether from Abstract Ocean or elsewhere.

Conversely, I like this one via Amazon a lot. 2-piece aluminum, decent leather strap and a stout keyring. Available for the S and X in various colours.

What I do love from Abstract Ocean are their puddle lights. Love ‘em, love ‘em, love ‘em. Anything I can install myself in less than 15 minutes and not break in the process, well, that’s a bonus. Planning to try their other LED light sets next. Nice and bright.

Last edited:
Watch this review by Erik

I have the $40 one he reviewed. It looks great but yes it definitely interferes with the signal. I've had the car tell me the key wasn't present while it was in my pocket and it had odd behavior when approaching the car. Sometimes I'd have to turn the key in my pocket to get the handles to present. The aluminum ones apparently come with spacers in case the key is rattling inside the case. The $40 zinc alloy one didn't and I ended up using a bit of cellophane to pad the case so it wouldn't rattle.

Ultimately it's now relegated to my second fob and it's sitting in a drawer. I use summon daily and the key fob is the emergency failsafe so I can't afford to have any signal degradation.

If you're ok with the lessened signal with the metal protectors and don't use summon then they do look and feel cool.

• Informative
Reactions: DriveMe
My OEM silicone key chain/holder is stretching out and does not hold the key the way it used to. I am worried I’ll lose my key.

Mine was doing a similar thing. I took the key out, and washed the silicone part in hot water and Dawn detergent, and let it dry. When I put it back on, it was fine. This was a month or so ago, and your results may vary....

ON the other hand, it might be fun to have a new goodie!

Bob

• Helpful
Reactions: tranzndance
I second that recommendation.

I third it :)

Original reason I went with Abstract Ocean fob cover (or any aftermarket fob for that matter) was because with the OE band/keychain it made it difficult to keep track of which fob was mine and which was my wife’s (profile linked). Originally I used a label maker and put our names on them...functional but looked a little weird, plus had to flip them over to see.

Went with aftermarket so I could get two different colors (white to match my car for me, and blue for my wife because, well, she loves blue). Now it’s super easy to tell the difference in our fobs. Plus, since we are both keyless (car fobs are our only remaining keys in life) people, taking the key ring off of the Abstract Ocean ones left only a very small “tail” where the hole/connection point for the key ring would have been. And that is easily cut off to make it flush.

Personally, I would stay away from metal covers. Watch this review by Erik all the way through the end (particularly at 6:50):

Good video. I just bought another abstract ocean today since I like to rotate the colors. The teslainventory discount code still works as well. Note that there are two designs of the silicone protector. The older one has the little keychain with links and the newer just has a ring. I have the older style and had removed the keychain anyhow, so I ordered one of the new ones to try it out.

Sooo... had the “fob not found” message periodically with past fob covers, both silicone and leather.

Only once so far with the aluminum fob cover. Theory being that it’s low profile enough to not get caught sideways in my pocket.

No problems with signal reception outside the car.

I’d get an aluminum one again, although I don’t expect this one to wear out, so.... problem solved.

• Informative
Reactions: P100DHG.
Okay fixed the issue. The plate that goes on the back was blocking the signal so I fired up the drill press and used my XY axis and a milling bit and widened the opening. It works perfectly now. Some black touch up paint and I’ll be good to go. Nice seller though let me keep the key fob cover and refunded me the money in exchange for the R&D

6419D341-4FFD-4E43-B92B-A1325AC8450B.jpeg

Okay fixed the issue. The plate that goes on the back was blocking the signal so I fired up the drill press and used my XY axis and a milling bit and widened the opening. It works perfectly now.

Ahh, that explains why my fob works in its aluminum cover. I ordered the same one that @TaoJones linked to from Amazon, which already has a wide open bottom. I've notice with the fob in the cover that I have to get closer before the car recognizes me, and I have gotten the "key not found" message a couple times until I shifted the position of the fob in my pocket so that my keys weren't covering it.

I'm still going back and forth on whether I'm gonna keep it long term.