Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Minor Body Work on Brand New Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked my red model S last December and noted at delivery a small ding that had been caused probably by the workers dropping a small tool against the right rear fender. The whole thing is about 1/16" to 1/8" in diameter, so you'd be hard pressed to even find it. But it does go through the clear coat and the paint so I figured I'd point it out, and Tesla agreed to have it fixed. They referred me to their premier body shop (exclusively used by our local Tesla), who wrote up a quote for .... $3000, for a week of work?! They are basically saying they will have to remove the bumper, the entire right rear fender and paint the whole thing - most of the cost is labor. While Tesla is paying for this, the question I have is how much risk is there that I might end up with creaking and rattling body parts in my otherwise pristine brand new Model S after they take apart the body panels and put it back together? The car is otherwise absolutely perfect at the moment.

Not a whole lot to see, really. But, here it is.

Attachments

• IMG_7332.jpg
    IMG_7332.jpg
    229 KB · Views: 108
We had a similar issue during pick up of our Model S. The service rep spotted the flaw where the rear fender and bumper meet as it was too small for me to notice. It would have involved removing the rear bumper cover and repainting.

I told the rep to leave it alone exactly for the reasons that you give. I have seen too many 'warranty repairs' that ended up looking worse. I wasn't worried about rust and a parking lot ding was sure to happen eventually anyway. With luck it will be near to the same place and both repairs can be done at the same time. After 4 years nobody has noticed the original imperfection and the car still looks great.

When I was restoring and repairing old cars my rule was that if the paint flaw was not noticeable at 10 feet it was good enough. It's your call as some people insist on perfection. I try to be practical with my daily driver vehicles.

Reactions: jrad6515
In surgery there is a policy that "better is the enemy of good". Means that sometimes when you try to make someting absolutely perfect you often screw the whole thing up.

I understand owners wanting the have their cars absolutely perfect, but also must realize that these are volume produced cars that sometimes will have relatively small issues, that a demanding customer can jump on to cause all sorts of havoc.

I have seen surgeons, trying to adjust a slight pressure on a suture tear the tissue completely. It would have been far better to leave it alone.

I picked my red model S last December and noted at delivery a small ding that had been caused probably by the workers dropping a small tool against the right rear fender. The whole thing is about 1/16" to 1/8" in diameter, so you'd be hard pressed to even find it. But it does go through the clear coat and the paint so I figured I'd point it out, and Tesla agreed to have it fixed. They referred me to their premier body shop (exclusively used by our local Tesla), who wrote up a quote for .... $3000, for a week of work?! They are basically saying they will have to remove the bumper, the entire right rear fender and paint the whole thing - most of the cost is labor. While Tesla is paying for this, the question I have is how much risk is there that I might end up with creaking and rattling body parts in my otherwise pristine brand new Model S after they take apart the body panels and put it back together? The car is otherwise absolutely perfect at the moment.
Can you take 3 free annual services instead? Win-win for everyone, Tesla saves money (3 services cost Tesla way less that $3K) and you get something without risking more issues from the fix.

Personally, I would not have an entire bumper and rear fender painted for a ding that size. I would ask them to at least do touch up paint repair. For something that small, it will blend in fairly well and probably won’t even be noticeable unless you’re closer than a foot away from the vehicle (assuming they do a good job and apply multiple coats to make it’s flush with the paint). I just recently fixed a few rock chips using Tesla’s paint repair kit they sell with decent results, so I’m sure a body shop could do even better.

I'd be happy to. Not sure how to proceed, though.

I had ding on my Red Model S as well when I picked it up a year ago. Mine was worse than this. Same size though. It was a showroom model that got transported here from out of state. I pointed it out but they told me they wouldn’t do anything since I was already getting a big discount on the car being a showroom model.

I would just leave it alone. Can barely see it