Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S New Badging for New 2019 Models

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, the latest Tesla announcement says that Model S is now going to have a standard range, long range, and performance variants. Does anyone know how the S will be badged? Wonder if the S will be generally debadged like the Model 3 except for certain models.

Probably debadged since they will physically have the same battery with software lock. Could be unlocked at any time or unlocked by Tesla once traded in to increase their resale price from what they paid you for a standard range model.

So, the latest Tesla announcement says that Model S is now going to have a standard range, long range, and performance variants. Does anyone know how the S will be badged? Wonder if the S will be generally debadged like the Model 3 except for certain models.
Actually, they made that change 5 weeks ago, in the last week of January...so it's not quite the latest announcement. ;)

This is the conversation I've had with SC regarding my incoming Long Range Ludicrous Performance Model S...

Do you know how the vehicle is going to be badged now that it's called Model S "Ludicrous Performance" rather than "P100D"?
Your Model S will come with the P100D badge.

I got my 2019 Tesla Model S with performance and Ludicrous upgrade and full autopilot and full self driving yesterday 6/5/19 and it now is badged as Dual Motor and no longer has P100D badging. I was bummed but it’s ok because the look on my face when I floored it for the first time was SHOCK. I do kind of miss the P100D badging and hope the other Tesla’s don’t have Dual Motor. How does one know now if it is Performance Model with Ludicrous upgrade and how does it set itself apart from the other Model S variants?

• Informative
Reactions: petredge
I got my 2019 Tesla Model S with performance and Ludicrous upgrade and full autopilot and full self driving yesterday 6/5/19 and it now is badged as Dual Motor and no longer has P100D badging. I was bummed but it’s ok because the look on my face when I floored it for the first time was SHOCK. I do kind of miss the P100D badging and hope the other Tesla’s don’t have Dual Motor. How does one know now if it is Performance Model with Ludicrous upgrade and how does it set itself apart from the other Model S variants?

Also how do I know that I have Ludicrous package I payed for? It now only says Insane + . Did Insane + replace Ludicrous? Under settings when you want to go into ludicrous mode?
Is there a red line under the Dual Motor badge (on the car) or in the app?

What difference does the badging make?
Bruce.

Increasing brand awareness and distinguishing models. It's easy to think everyone knows Tesla and the S vs X vs 3, but I've had multiple conversations this year that the badging answers:

a) "What car brand is this?" (with the follow up response "I've never heard of Tesla")
b) "Oh, is it that Model 3 I've heard about?"
c) "So you've got one of those Ludicrous mode cars!"

I have debadged my S, but left the Tesla "T" on the rear. It looks clean, and is easier to clean.

Being concerned about badging may be related to concerns over what others, even those we may never ever meet, think about us. It is just human nature. Just like many things in life, what clothes labels we wear, where we do our grocery shopping, what cell phone we use, etc....
I am not criticizing, just discussing.

I recently listened to a podcast about regrets people have at the end of their lives. One regret was worrying too much about what others thought and not living a life true to yourself. It is a stretch to tie the badging of a car with end of life regrets, to be sure. But what may (MAY) be related is putting too much stock in what others think about you.

As I age, I worry much less about what others think about me and realize more and more that others don't give a hoot about what I think!

Another regret was not letting yourself be happy. So do what makes you happy!