Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S P85 vs Pontiac GTO 6.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
yes, plenty of them.... Audi S8, E63-S 4matic, GT-R, 911 turbo, Viper, Corvette, Ford GT, lp560, 458, CTS-V, the list goes on... :)

Are we talking specs on paper here or real-world speed? Have any of them actually been tested against it?

I'm sure most of the above would eventually take a P85 due to their higher top-end. Short sprints of say, 1/4 mile, are a bit of a different story, though. Most of us here have already seen the videos of a P85 thumping a Viper and a 'Vette. That's two down. What about the others you listed?

Are we talking specs on paper here or real-world speed? Have any of them actually been tested against it?

I'm sure most of the above would eventually take a P85 due to their higher top-end. Short sprints of say, 1/4 mile, are a bit of a different story, though. Most of us here have already seen the videos of a P85 thumping a Viper and a 'Vette. That's two down. What about the others you listed?

There are a number of cars that will beat a P85+ if they have a good driver and launch properly. That number goes up by quite a bit if you are talking about a 1/4 mile run. But on any given day a Model S will beat almost any of those cars some percentage of the time.

This is mostly due to the fact that even using launch control an ICE is just much more finicky about accelerating quickly at low speeds. Any minor thing that goes wrong in the complex sequence required to get the best times will make the car vulnerable to being beat by the S, because the S is so much less complex. This is infinitely more true on ICE vehicles using manual transmission and no launch control.

And on streets (as opposed to the track) these factors make it even more likely the te S will win. The ICE driver is less likely to be skilled, and less likely to be properly configured for launch. Plus, the lack of surface prep makes t more likely that the S will win because the narrow power bands of an ICE make it more likely to break loose even during a well executed launch.

That said, by the time you are talking 1/4 mile runs, the odds against the S start to go up. Stoplight to stoplight the S is very likely to win against anything. After ~1000 feet though anything with more power will inevitably start to run it down, because by then they are in their higher gears and can actually take advantage of their greater peak power.

Fair enough, CO.

I'm not really trying to prove that the P85 is the fastest vehicle on the road (though, I do believe it's the fastest at its price point). I was genuinely curious what would be able to beat it, as brian says, consistently and independently of driver skill.

accounting for easy to drive fast off the line narrows it down, GT-R, S8, E63 4matic, 911 Turbo, LP560, R8, basically AWD cars or ones with automated launch control...

direct competitors narrows it down further, S8, E63 4matic....

Fair enough, CO.

I'm not really trying to prove that the P85 is the fastest vehicle on the road (though, I do believe it's the fastest at its price point). I was genuinely curious what would be able to beat it, as brian says, consistently and independently of driver skill.