Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Phantom Breaking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello! I have a 2017 Model S with the same phantom breaking issues as what I have been reading regarding models 3 and Y. I ha Ry remember able to find anything regarding the S having the same issues and am wondering if others may have better insights on this. Had to turn off auto pilot today after about 40 miles into a 165 mile trip due to seemingly constant breaking… Thanks for any information you may have.

Phantom braking (not breaking) is not specific to any particular Tesla model. Whatever you’ve read about it here applies to your car too.
I would offer that is is somewhat specific to different models/variants.

There is a distinct difference between AP1 vintage Model S and Model X produced from late 2014 up until mid-October 2016 and vehicles with Tesla vision based systems, commonly referred to as AP2, AP2.5, etc. produced after mid-October 2016.

And if you experience a strange phantom braking issue with a car produced prior to late 2014, when then you need to talk with whoever is driving!

We had very bad phantom braking with our ‘17 MS 100D. I had Tesla upgrade the front fender cameras, and the windshield camera as there were codes stored for apparent objects it was detecting.

The windshield camera was loose from Tesla and likely vibrating. This, according to the Tech, COULD cause this problem. I had them replace the camera anyway as a precaution at my expense.

Since that mobile service visit, I’ve had a significant reduction in phantom braking. Rarely occurs now. Could that be attributed to software updates? Maybe. Combination of camera replacement, tightening the center camera, and software? Likely.

My .02

“Late model” 2017 S here….I can’t recall the last time I have had a true phantom braking event. I use it ever single day to and from work.
but I have always wondered if my car is TRULY using only vision based…..I still have the nose radar. I am very curious what data it’s providing and what part of the decision tree it is. I suspect it is still being used in some way with radar capable cars still.
my 2 cents.