Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Plaid Delivery and First Impressions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, I am a three-time Tesla owner -- 3, Y and now Model S Plaid which I picked up yesterday in Mt. Kisco, NY and drove back home to Albany (note all the bugs on the front of the car). 😂 My impressions:

1) Tesla is a great technology company...and a terrible car company. The staff at Mt. Kisco are very nice but in way, WAY over their heads. The entire delivery experience gives you the uneasy impression that the kids are running the daycare. Maybe it was the fact that it was a Sunday, but we waited over THREE HOURS before being helped and then *another* hour to actually take delivery. Even then, the interior of the car was filthy, most of the interior protective plastics hadn't even been removed and the outside still had adhesive left on it from the exterior plastics. Not at all the experience one would expect when spending that kind of coin on an automobile. Bottom line: if you're buying a Tesla, don't expect an Audi delivery experience. Plan on a frustrating extended pick-up and adding a few hundred bucks to the cost of the car for a full detail once you take delivery.

2) The yoke steering thing is utterly stupid at best and really, really dangerous at worst. It is awkward in general and downright difficult to use in any position past 90 degrees in either direction. That clumsiness translates to driver inattention and hesitancy which could easily result in an accident. It did not get any better for the rest of the 3-hour drive home or my spirited drive in the twisties this morning. Elon Musk romanticizing Michael Knight is dangerous for everyone. Someone really should have told the emperor he wasn't wearing any clothes on this one. Hopefully, NHTSA will do so and Tesla will be forced to replace this abomination with a real steering wheel. It will make everyone on the road safer.

3) The elimination of stalks is equally stupid/dangerous. Buttons for everything are clumsy and having to take your eyes off the road to find and use them is absurd. The directionals are annoying but I think I can get used to them over time. Lesser-used buttons will be more problematic. Imagine seeing a deer about to jump into the road and then having to look down at the stupid-ass steering yoke to find the tiny little horn button (which isn't actually a button but more of a "spot" on the yoke that gives no feedback when you press it). Moronic. Both the yoke and the removal of the stalks are solutions in search of problems.

3) The power is overwhelming. The standard Model S/X and 3/Y are powerful. Putting friends in the passenger seat and flooring it is a fun party trick. This car is beyond next level. It doesn't have a party trick, it warps space and time. Seriously. It's not just the massive amount of power, it is how it's delivered. The torque delivery is so flat and so constant that it feels like you're going to slingshot off the curve of the earth if you don't take your foot off the accelerator...NOW. I have driven some very powerful and very fast cars in my life and I'm not sure *anyone* needs a car this powerful and fast -- least of all the kind of people who are generally buying a 4-door sport sedan. My wife actually screamed out loud and made me slow down immediately. By the time I released the accelerator, we going over 130 MPH. She didn't let me try again. It isn't just fast, it's scary.

4) The audio system is breathtaking. I've never heard anything quite like it. Most car audio involves some sacrifice -- either in power or clarity. This system is extremely clear and defined at every frequency. They 3/Y have great stereos. This one is magnificent. And it still goes to eleven. :)

5) The fit and finish is excellent so far. The materials are a bit utilitarian, but the refreshed interior is great. Lack of a sunglasses holder still bums me out.

Overall, the car is excellent and delivers on its promise of innovative features and mind-blowing power. That said, unless you want bragging rights as the baddest mofo lowdown around this town (who can name the movie?), you should probably stick with the regular Model S. My wife is going to be the main driver of this car, and I know for certain that the money we spent on the Plaid upgrade is going to be totally, completely, 100% wasted on her. An expensive lesson, but bragging rights are not nothing and I'll have fun with it once in a while when she lets me drive it... 😈

Attachments

• Model S Plaid.jpg
    Model S Plaid.jpg
    616.9 KB · Views: 436
Hi all, I am a three-time Tesla owner -- 3, Y and now Model S Plaid which I picked up yesterday in Mt. Kisco, NY and drove back home to Albany (note all the bugs on the front of the car). 😂 My impressions:

1) Tesla is a great technology company...and a terrible car company. The staff at Mt. Kisco are very nice but in way, WAY over their heads. The entire delivery experience gives you the uneasy impression that the kids are running the daycare. Maybe it was the fact that it was a Sunday, but we waited over THREE HOURS before being helped and then *another* hour to actually take delivery. Even then, the interior of the car was filthy, most of the interior protective plastics hadn't even been removed and the outside still had adhesive left on it from the exterior plastics. Not at all the experience one would expect when spending that kind of coin on an automobile. Bottom line: if you're buying a Tesla, don't expect an Audi delivery experience. Plan on a frustrating extended pick-up and adding a few hundred bucks to the cost of the car for a full detail once you take delivery.

2) The yoke steering thing is utterly stupid at best and really, really dangerous at worst. It is awkward in general and downright difficult to use in any position past 90 degrees in either direction. That clumsiness translates to driver inattention and hesitancy which could easily result in an accident. It did not get any better for the rest of the 3-hour drive home or my spirited drive in the twisties this morning. Elon Musk romanticizing Michael Knight is dangerous for everyone. Someone really should have told the emperor he wasn't wearing any clothes on this one. Hopefully, NHTSA will do so and Tesla will be forced to replace this abomination with a real steering wheel. It will make everyone on the road safer.

3) The elimination of stalks is equally stupid/dangerous. Buttons for everything are clumsy and having to take your eyes off the road to find and use them is absurd. The directionals are annoying but I think I can get used to them over time. Lesser-used buttons will be more problematic. Imagine seeing a deer about to jump into the road and then having to look down at the stupid-ass steering yoke to find the tiny little horn button (which isn't actually a button but more of a "spot" on the yoke that gives no feedback when you press it). Moronic. Both the yoke and the removal of the stalks are solutions in search of problems.

3) The power is overwhelming. The standard Model S/X and 3/Y are powerful. Putting friends in the passenger seat and flooring it is a fun party trick. This car is beyond next level. It doesn't have a party trick, it warps space and time. Seriously. It's not just the massive amount of power, it is how it's delivered. The torque delivery is so flat and so constant that it feels like you're going to slingshot off the curve of the earth if you don't take your foot off the accelerator...NOW. I have driven some very powerful and very fast cars in my life and I'm not sure *anyone* needs a car this powerful and fast -- least of all the kind of people who are generally buying a 4-door sport sedan. My wife actually screamed out loud and made me slow down immediately. By the time I released the accelerator, we going over 130 MPH. She didn't let me try again. It isn't just fast, it's scary.

4) The audio system is breathtaking. I've never heard anything quite like it. Most car audio involves some sacrifice -- either in power or clarity. This system is extremely clear and defined at every frequency. They 3/Y have great stereos. This one is magnificent. And it still goes to eleven. :)

5) The fit and finish is excellent so far. The materials are a bit utilitarian, but the refreshed interior is great. Lack of a sunglasses holder still bums me out.

Overall, the car is excellent and delivers on its promise of innovative features and mind-blowing power. That said, unless you want bragging rights as the baddest mofo lowdown around this town (who can name the movie?), you should probably stick with the regular Model S. My wife is going to be the main driver of this car, and I know for certain that the money we spent on the Plaid upgrade is going to be totally, completely, 100% wasted on her. An expensive lesson, but bragging rights are not nothing and I'll have fun with it once in a while when she lets me drive it... 😈
Quick question... How direct and connected does the steering feel compared to the three. I have a model 3 Performance and I just ordered a plaid yesterday with the intent to trade the three. Having never driven an s I went to the local used car lot today and took a 17 p100d for a ride. The car had 70,000 miles but it felt pretty soft and the steering was more Mercedes than BMW. My three has great steering feel. People are saying the plaid has the new suspension and tighter steering but I'm curious what you thought.
Do you feel the yolk makes the car not enjoyable?

• Are there any delivery issues with your car? Like exterior whistling at high speed or poorly glued door seals?
  • Are the rear wheel arches already blasted with rock chips from your drive home? You owned a Y so you probably know about the problem, it's just many times worse now.
  • Did the delivery center at least try to show you how to open the owner's manual on the MCU, and see it crash?
  • Did you try the phone key? Did it work?

Quick question... How direct and connected does the steering feel compared to the three. I have a model 3 Performance and I just ordered a plaid yesterday with the intent to trade the three. Having never driven an s I went to the local used car lot today and took a 17 p100d for a ride. The car had 70,000 miles but it felt pretty soft and the steering was more Mercedes than BMW. My three has great steering feel. People are saying the plaid has the new suspension and tighter steering but I'm curious what you thought.
Do you feel the yolk makes the car not enjoyable?
Steering has three settings and they all feel as-expected. The most sporty mode is much tighter than the 3/Y, middle setting about the same, lowest setting substantially softer. Otherwise, I wouldn't necessarily say "not enjoyable" but the yolk makes me feel less connected to the car and more apprehensive about driving it. Certainly it is not as enjoyable as it could or should be.

• Are there any delivery issues with your car? Like exterior whistling at high speed or poorly glued door seals?
  • Are the rear wheel arches already blasted with rock chips from your drive home? You owned a Y so you probably know about the problem, it's just many times worse now.
  • Did the delivery center at least try to show you how to open the owner's manual on the MCU, and see it crash?
I've got the whistling at 79MPH to 92MPH

I haven't had all that much time with it, but we didn't notice any exterior whistling. That said, the door seals at the sills are quite "wrinkled" and I am concerned about it. Will be interested in finding out if others are seeing the same issues.

The car we received has what looks to be paint protection film on the lower rear-wheel arches. I'll have to look and see if there are any issues.

The delivery center didn't even give us our paperwork before allowing us to drive off, so they definitely didn't show us how to open the manual (or anything else for that matter).

The phone key worked for my wife immediately, but failed for me until this morning when I finally got it connected.

I haven't had all that much time with it, but we didn't notice any exterior whistling. That said, the door seals at the sills are quite "wrinkled" and I am concerned about it. Will be interested in finding out if others are seeing the same issues.

The car we received has what looks to be paint protection film on the lower rear-wheel arches. I'll have to look and see if there are any issues.

The delivery center didn't even give us our paperwork before allowing us to drive off, so they definitely didn't show us how to open the manual (or anything else for that matter).

The phone key worked for my wife immediately, but failed for me until this morning when I finally got it connected.
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the world of EV and the forum. Ordered by Plaid on May 23 and took delivery June 29th. I was pleased to get the car sooner than I was expecting. There was a few miscommunications about the delivery date, but a real person at Tesla took care of the problem.

I had two issues with the car at the time of delivery. The right side driver and passenger door didn't line up, but Tesla has taken car of the problem. The other problem is with the driver and passenger's seats. The upholstery on the front of the bolsters are lumpy and uneven. Tesla claims they are working on a fix, but still don't have any answer. I was expecting some some issues, so I wasn't surprised when I found the ones on my car.

I've had the car for almost a month and found everything to work properly. Love the performance and the way the car drives. I have found a couple of features that aren't active, but I hear they're coming. I am definitely an EV fan.

Overall, the car is excellent and delivers on its promise of innovative features and mind-blowing power. That said, unless you want bragging rights as the baddest mofo lowdown around this town (who can name tmovie?), you should probably stick with the regular Model S. My wife is going to be the main driver of this car, and I know for certain that the money we spent on the Plaid upgrade is going to be totally, completely, 100% wasted on her. An expensive lesson, but bragging rights are not nothing and I'll have fun with it once in a while when she lets me drive it... 😈
Thanks for sharing. I agree that this car is awesome yet extremely dangerous. Combine the power with the yolk and you have a potential recipe for horrible disaster with inexperienced drivers. Even the base model S is as fast as an M5 Competition in 0-60 and Quarter mile. That is insanely fast. Part of the reason I did not buy the Plaid is that my wife will drive it occasionally and she does not have the skill to handle that much power period. (See what I did there). The reflexes it takes to react to anything with that much acceleration is extreme.

How do the headlights perform for brightness and illumination pattern compared to the Y?

How do the headlights perform for brightness and illumination pattern compared to the Y?

Tough to say -- I haven't compared them directly -- but what I can tell you is this: when we took delivery of our Model Y with the new headlight assembly last month, my first impression was, "Holy **** are these lights bright!" That was compared to our 2019 Model 3. My first impression with the Model S was, "Not too bad, I guess."

Reactions: Gman201
Another hot take on the yoke and removal of stalks: hunting for buttons that are a moving target on an awkwardly-shaped spinning control surface is *extremely* difficult and *extremely* dangerous. Say, for example, trying to signal when exiting a roundabout like I tried to do tonight. In that maneuver, the yoke is nearly upside down and the buttons are backwards AND in the wrong hand. Why Tesla engineers didn't send this thing screaming from the car in the earliest days of development is beyond me. The fact that something so obviously ill-advised could make it through to actual production is frightening. It is that bad.

Another hot take on the yoke and removal of stalks: hunting for buttons that are a moving target on an awkwardly-shaped spinning control surface is *extremely* difficult and *extremely* dangerous. Say, for example, trying to signal when exiting a roundabout like I tried to do tonight. In that maneuver, the yoke is nearly upside down and the buttons are backwards AND in the wrong hand. Why Tesla engineers didn't send this thing screaming from the car in the earliest days of development is beyond me. The fact that something so obviously ill-advised could make it through to actual production is frightening. It is that bad.
The yoke is upside down when going through a roundabout? 😳

Tough to say -- I haven't compared them directly -- but what I can tell you is this: when we took delivery of our Model Y with the new headlight assembly last month, my first impression was, "Holy **** are these lights bright!" That was compared to our 2019 Model 3. My first impression with the Model S was, "Not too bad, I guess."
Thank you. Headlights on my 21Y are fantastic.

Reactions: feckman
How is the call quality on Bluetooth? Do your callers hear wind noise? That is a major complaint on the Y compared to My 2018 540 M Sport.

All good info and thank you for posting. The reviews I've seen when the refresh S owner has had the refresh after a couple of weeks are much more embracing of the butterfly steering wheel. The people that have the most vitriol are either those that haven't driven it with the yoke, or have only had it in their hands for a few hours. I'd love to hear your thoughts then after 'getting used' to it.

All good info and thank you for posting. The reviews I've seen when the refresh S owner has had the refresh after a couple of weeks are much more embracing of the butterfly steering wheel. The people that have the most vitriol are either those that haven't driven it with the yoke, or have only had it in their hands for a few hours. I'd love to hear your thoughts then after 'getting used' to it.

I'll be driving to and from Buffalo, NY over the next couple days (600 miles round-trip +/-) and will report back when I return. That said, so far it has not grown on me -- especially those turn signal buttons. What a monumentally bad idea that was. They are downright dangerous and I've actually filed a complaint with NHTSA about it. I regularly feel like a guinea pig behind the wheel of my Teslas, but this move is beyond the pale. Tesla engineers should have known better.