Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S and Model S Plaid Refresh Issues Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you happy with your upgrade from the 3?
I am having cold feet.
Night and day. Besides the crazy acceleration, the Plaid is much more refined, and I'm super happy to go back to a hatch trunk and door handles that pop out by themselves again (my first Tesla was a P85D). Oh and air suspension too, except this one is much more adjustable than in my first S. Not to mention the vastly improved interior. All these little things add up and matter a lot in the end.

Are you happy with your upgrade from the 3?
I am having cold feet.
I know this was not to me, but I went from a 2018 Stealth MP3 to the Plaid 19".

I LOVED my 3 but after driving the plaid, I totally forgot about the 3. the plaid's adaptive suspension and lack of road noise, is 10 times better than the 3. the 2018 3 was a bit noisy in the cabin, the MS Plaid is super quiet, super comfortable. Range is great comparatively.

I have some adjustments that are being done right now at the service center, and should have it back today, so I will report on that tonight, if I get it back as planned.

I think the acceleration is a bit too intense honestly. it's almost scary to drive. it is truly a mechanical marvel. I have a 2015 S loaner, and it is nothing compared to the plaid in regards to luxuriousness. Super impressed with the car, I realize having a late august build is probably going to have issues still, but totally worth it for me as I know they will resolve them. Plus I got it before the 10k hike, so if I do have to sell, I'll do well.

If I had to do it again, I would absolutely do it. Hell yes! Totally worth it.

Last edited:
Night and day. Besides the crazy acceleration, the Plaid is much more refined, and I'm super happy to go back to a hatch trunk and door handles that pop out by themselves again (my first Tesla was a P85D). Oh and air suspension too, except this one is much more adjustable than in my first S. Not to mention the vastly improved interior. All these little things add up and matter a lot in the end.
I did the19” so I could aftermarket the summer tires and rims myself.
I really like the signature wheels, which did you go with? They look nice.

I know this was not to me, but I went from a 2018 Stealth MP3 to the Plaid 19".

I LOVED my 3 but after driving the plaid, I totally forgot about the 3. the plaid's adaptive suspension and lack of road noise, is 10 times better than the 3. the 2018 3 was a bit noisy in the cabin, the MS Plaid is super quiet, super comfortable. Range is great comparatively.

I have some adjustments that are being done right now at the service center, and should have it back today, so I will report on that tonight, if I get it back as planned.

I think the acceleration is a bit too intense honestly. it's almost scary to drive. it is truly a mechanical marvel. I have a 2015 S loaner, and it is nothing compare to the plaid in regards to luxuriousness. Super impressed with the car, I realize having a late august build is probably going to have issues still, but totally worth it for me as I know they will resolve them. Plus I got it before the 10k hike, so if I do have to sell, I'll do well.

If I had to do it again, I would absolutely do it. Hell yes! Totally worth it.
Thanks!!!!! That’s the stuff I like to hear,
Not the constant complaints.
Thanks for your time!!!!

I did the19” so I could aftermarket the summer tires and rims myself.
I did the 19"ers because they're the only option that stand a chance on the "roads" where I live. Anything bigger than that will be eaten like soft, chewy taffy.

I got 19's on my 3, and so far they've held up pretty well.

If I had my choice, though, I'd go for much more sidewall. Not just to help prevent wheel damage, but to help mitigate the ride on the god-awful roads we have.

I keep my tires inflated right to the edge of the under inflation caution light just to help with the ride. I'll gratefully accept the range hit to keep my teeth from chattering.

I did the 19"ers because they're the only option that stand a chance on the "roads" where I live. Anything bigger than that will be eaten like soft, chewy taffy.

I got 19's on my 3, and so far they've held up pretty well.

If I had my choice, though, I'd go for much more sidewall. Not just to help prevent wheel damage, but to help mitigate the ride on the god-awful roads we have.

I keep my tires inflated right to the edge of the under inflation caution light just to help with the ride. I'll gratefully accept the range hit to keep my teeth from chattering.
Wow and I thought Nebraska roads suck.
I can run my 20” on my performance Almost without worry.

No, it seems to happen just once per direction.
I'm going to do some more testing but it's been raining, and it is easy to get the tires to slip when the roads are wet.

Will get the wife to drive and I'll watch the wheels from outside to see what it looks like when it occurs.

"It's been raining"

"Location: Seattle"

Checks out. 😂

But let us know what you find, that sounds annoying.

Reactions: GroovaEV
No, it seems to happen just once per direction.
I'm going to do some more testing but it's been raining, and it is easy to get the tires to slip when the roads are wet.

Will get the wife to drive and I'll watch the wheels from outside to see what it looks like when it occurs.
You live in Seattle so If you only drive when it rains your fine!
that’s like 364 days a year correct?

Reactions: GroovaEV
I understand this thread is meant to discuss issues with the refreshed S models. But I just want to say. My S LR was delivered EOQ 6/30 when they were supposedly rushing to get deliveries out. My car was delivered and is almost flawless. One piece of rubber that seals the right rear window looked a little screwy. I went back there and just bent or turned it and it is perfect now.
I have not had one issue yet that has not been fixed/upgraded by software downloads.

I am writing this just so people that may be interested in the car understand that not
All the cars have problems. Quite naturally the people that have issues with their cars are the most vocal.

And I am no fanboy. I dislike Elon. I dislike all the bs about the delivery dates. This is my first EV.
But I have not had a car that I have been this enthusiastic about still months after delivery. Every time I walk up to the car and get in it,
I smile.