Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Plaid on the Track

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got delivery of my Tesla Plaid two weeks ago. I am thinking of taking it to the track this Friday at Monticello for few laps. Has anyone tried tracking the new Plaid version. I understand track mode is not enabled yet. Any thoughts?

After driving it around for 2 weeks on the streets, you'd want to take it to a non-technical high-speed track with long sweeping turns and straightaways. The car is heavy, but with all that power, you wouldn't want a slow track with a lot of technical hairpins and turns. I have a 911 for that :)

I agree 100%. I am just curious to see how the Tesla will do without pushing it too hard. I have driven my GT3 RS on this track many times. I also drove the Taycan. Curious how the Plaid will perform. Also wanting to make sure that the breaks won't stop working half way through a lap. I am thinking of lapping it 5-6 times tops.

I agree 100%. I am just curious to see how the Tesla will do without pushing it too hard. I have driven my GT3 RS on this track many times. I also drove the Taycan. Curious how the Plaid will perform. Also wanting to make sure that the breaks won't stop working half way through a lap. I am thinking of lapping it 5-6 times tops.
No personal experience, but from watching dragtimes and other YouTube channels, the brakes seem to fade after 2-3 1/4 mile runs. They're not ceramic or anything special and I think my 911 has bigger brakes. In talking to mechanics, the biggest difference in stopping power, regardless of your brakes are your brake lines. Steel braided lines prevent your hot brake fluids from expanding the tube causing mushy pedal travel. Cheapest and most effective upgrade compared to an entire new brake system.

Reactions: KyleDay
You can use regen to settle the car prior to turning in.This will lighten the rear and transfer traction to your front wheels to make your initital turn in at speed. Then add torque through the corner/curve. Driving any car fast required driver to be aware of each particular cars strengths and weaknesses. In heavy Tesla you will want to carry as much speed through the corner as possible, then get heavy on the power on the way out, using the AWD and torque vectoring to slingshot you down out of the corner and down the straight. This technique will save your brakes, but still achieve great lap times.

Reactions: Darmie
I thought this would be useful

as well as this one

Until Tesla comes up with the track package brake fade is a major issue and it starts happening after a couple of laps give or take. Maybe I will only do 2 laps tops before switching cars

Go do it and have fun. Fade is an issue that ramps up anyways so you should be able to sense it and back off pushing the car so hard. I wouldn't set a hard limit on laps and just use your own judgement. Most important thing to remember is when you come off the track to cool them down keep driving in the paddock. Don't come off the track and straight to your spot and stop right away or you will warp rotors etc.

That's alot harder to remember if you come out of a session early instead of running the entire session then an entire cool down lap at the end. That cool down lap is super important to any vehicle not just these.

Reactions: TessP100D
I went to the Monticello Motorsport Park yesterday and drove the Plaid for a whole session (25 mins) on the south course. The first lap was warmup. The second lap I did 70% effort. The brakes lasted 1.5 laps after warmup before I got the hot brakes warning signal. The car is very heavy and you feel that immediately. The brakes were soft from the start. I decided to ease off and try to use regenerative braking more. This enabled me to finish the whole session with no warnings but my time suffered. I would basically push the car coming out of a turn but then slow down very early using regenerative braking. I was faster than most cars and I would catch them after we exit turns but then they pull away as I go through the turns. My fastest time was my 2nd lap at 1:25. The rest of the laps were 3 to 4 seconds slower. I probably would have gone much faster than 1:25 if I got a chance to practice more going hard. For comparisons sake I do around 1:25 seconds in a Cayman Sportcar 2006 and 1:19 in a GT3 RS. Few notes:

1) Brakes are terrible. They will probably install upgraded brakes with the track package

2) Once brakes are fixed tires will be the next obstacle. I had PZero and they were struggling on the turns. You can hear them squealing from a mile. Getting Cup 2s will be better

3) With better brakes and tires this car can definitely beat most cars on the track. I feel confident that I can make up for the heavy weight by taking advantage of the crazy acceleration coming out of turns and much higher speeds at straightways.

4) Handling: I was very surprised that the car felt the same as the Taycan going around the turns. The car felt planted and stable and I never felt nervous going fast around the Ss or fast corners. Of course its a heavy car so you have to keep that in mind as the tires will struggle on big corners.

5) Power consumption: I started the session with 90% miles range and ended with 45%. On the other hand, I drove the Taycan on the same track and power went down from 100% to 5%. I drove the Taycan however much harder as brakes never showed any sign of trouble and were more consistent.

I definitely cannot wait to try the car again when the track package comes out.

awesome report! thank you! keep in mind squealing tires are often a good thing, not a bad thing, as the feel they give is super progressive (as apposed to suddenly breaking traction). Squealing != poor traction.

here is a good account of the Plaid from an experienced driver who, if anything, is biased against Tesla. Bottom line: make the brakes track ready, at least pads, before you take it out on the track. You may have to swap back and forth as pads good for the track may not work well, or at least be very noisy in every day driving :

very knowledgable Performance shop owner today reported on his personal experience with Plaid - track driver - champsionship racer - his shop services/tracks every make/model of car you can imagine, and they have deep experience with most brands (including Tesla) - and he is not a Tesla fan even though he’s in silly-con valley - but sees the writing on the wall with EV
  1. fastest car he’s ever driven - mind blowing (his words) - he’s driven everything (including dragster, La Ferarri, Tesla Model S, Taycan, Cup Cars…)
  2. plaid changes things no doubt based on his 45 min test drive - this is a benchmark vehicle for the entire industry
  3. acceleration is unlike any car on the market
  4. steering/suspension ALL new - all better - really really good in his opinion
    1. steering feel excellent (Porsche quality - his words)
    2. suspension - tight, but compliant - excellent ride quality with great balance for stiffness for performance
    3. handling as good as it gets for a car this big - equal to Taycan if not better
    4. because of the dual motors and software in the rear end acceleration through corners is best on the market right now - grip, feel, and split of power given the dual independent motors on the rear end allow this vehicle to handle like nothing else on the market, both at low speeds and high speed cornering - it’s an infinitely variable limited slip differential virtualized in software - this car can do things no other vehicle can do for handling at any speed.
  5. handling light years better than anything on the market (including Taycan which he’s personally a lot of seat time)
  6. software - order of magnitude fast/better/more control and easy to use than previous Tesla software - will once again set a benchmark for the industry to attempt to catch
  7. did I tell you it was quick - mind blowing quick
  8. he spent an hour going over the car exterior and interior - build quality dramtically improved vs. the 100’s of Model 3 and S’s he has inspected/upgraded/experience over the years
  9. brakes - utter crap - and not up the task of a vehicle that can easily accomplish more than 180 mph - OMG they are sooooo bad
    1. he said if they fix the brakes they wil have the BEST 4 door lux sports sedan on the market
    2. you can soo easily drive this car too fast for the brakes to meet you expectations - he predicts people will die because of this - the car is sooooo fast, but you can’t stop it.
  10. Still not a track car, but able to hang with _ANY_ sports sedan on the market and embarass it greatly
  11. The plaid inspected on a mechanical lift shows a complete redesigned suspension and other components…
His Bottom Line: Best 4 door sports sedan on the market - if they fix the brakes there is nothing to compete with it.

I agree with this assessment 100%. That was basically how it felt on Friday. Very comparable to Taycan if not better. Brakes are the biggest hold back. Not sure about the quality of rotors but the Pads must be replaced and use Performance brake fluid. I would definitely upgrade the rotors and pads if you want to track it. Lets see what Tesla comes up with once they release track package.

No personal experience, but from watching dragtimes and other YouTube channels, the brakes seem to fade after 2-3 1/4 mile runs. They're not ceramic or anything special and I think my 911 has bigger brakes. In talking to mechanics, the biggest difference in stopping power, regardless of your brakes are your brake lines. Steel braided lines prevent your hot brake fluids from expanding the tube causing mushy pedal travel. Cheapest and most effective upgrade compared to an entire new brake system.
Add very expensive brake fluid with a high temp rating too

I thought this would be useful

as well as this one

Until Tesla comes up with the track package brake fade is a major issue and it starts happening after a couple of laps give or take. Maybe I will only do 2 laps tops before switching cars
Well guys. It’s not a race car. It’s a drag car.

I went to the Monticello Motorsport Park yesterday and drove the Plaid for a whole session (25 mins) on the south course. The first lap was warmup. The second lap I did 70% effort. The brakes lasted 1.5 laps after warmup before I got the hot brakes warning signal. The car is very heavy and you feel that immediately. The brakes were soft from the start. I decided to ease off and try to use regenerative braking more. This enabled me to finish the whole session with no warnings but my time suffered. I would basically push the car coming out of a turn but then slow down very early using regenerative braking. I was faster than most cars and I would catch them after we exit turns but then they pull away as I go through the turns. My fastest time was my 2nd lap at 1:25. The rest of the laps were 3 to 4 seconds slower. I probably would have gone much faster than 1:25 if I got a chance to practice more going hard. For comparisons sake I do around 1:25 seconds in a Cayman Sportcar 2006 and 1:19 in a GT3 RS. Few notes:

1) Brakes are terrible. They will probably install upgraded brakes with the track package

2) Once brakes are fixed tires will be the next obstacle. I had PZero and they were struggling on the turns. You can hear them squealing from a mile. Getting Cup 2s will be better

3) With better brakes and tires this car can definitely beat most cars on the track. I feel confident that I can make up for the heavy weight by taking advantage of the crazy acceleration coming out of turns and much higher speeds at straightways.

4) Handling: I was very surprised that the car felt the same as the Taycan going around the turns. The car felt planted and stable and I never felt nervous going fast around the Ss or fast corners. Of course its a heavy car so you have to keep that in mind as the tires will struggle on big corners.

5) Power consumption: I started the session with 90% miles range and ended with 45%. On the other hand, I drove the Taycan on the same track and power went down from 100% to 5%. I drove the Taycan however much harder as brakes never showed any sign of trouble and were more consistent.

I definitely cannot wait to try the car again when the track package comes out.
Here we go folks….. down the slippery slope. Soon 200,000 plus will be spent on the car, enclosed trailer, tires, spare parts, tools, race school, race helmet, race suit, race shoes, fire protection, radios, data devise, cameras, tools, cage, air bottles etc, etc etc.
oh… this is going to be fun.

here is a good account of the Plaid from an experienced driver who, if anything, is biased against Tesla. Bottom line: make the brakes track ready, at least pads, before you take it out on the track. You may have to swap back and forth as pads good for the track may not work well, or at least be very noisy in every day driving :

very knowledgable Performance shop owner today reported on his personal experience with Plaid - track driver - champsionship racer - his shop services/tracks every make/model of car you can imagine, and they have deep experience with most brands (including Tesla) - and he is not a Tesla fan even though he’s in silly-con valley - but sees the writing on the wall with EV
  1. fastest car he’s ever driven - mind blowing (his words) - he’s driven everything (including dragster, La Ferarri, Tesla Model S, Taycan, Cup Cars…)
  2. plaid changes things no doubt based on his 45 min test drive - this is a benchmark vehicle for the entire industry
  3. acceleration is unlike any car on the market
  4. steering/suspension ALL new - all better - really really good in his opinion
    1. steering feel excellent (Porsche quality - his words)
    2. suspension - tight, but compliant - excellent ride quality with great balance for stiffness for performance
    3. handling as good as it gets for a car this big - equal to Taycan if not better
    4. because of the dual motors and software in the rear end acceleration through corners is best on the market right now - grip, feel, and split of power given the dual independent motors on the rear end allow this vehicle to handle like nothing else on the market, both at low speeds and high speed cornering - it’s an infinitely variable limited slip differential virtualized in software - this car can do things no other vehicle can do for handling at any speed.
  5. handling light years better than anything on the market (including Taycan which he’s personally a lot of seat time)
  6. software - order of magnitude fast/better/more control and easy to use than previous Tesla software - will once again set a benchmark for the industry to attempt to catch
  7. did I tell you it was quick - mind blowing quick
  8. he spent an hour going over the car exterior and interior - build quality dramtically improved vs. the 100’s of Model 3 and S’s he has inspected/upgraded/experience over the years
  9. brakes - utter crap - and not up the task of a vehicle that can easily accomplish more than 180 mph - OMG they are sooooo bad
    1. he said if they fix the brakes they wil have the BEST 4 door lux sports sedan on the market
    2. you can soo easily drive this car too fast for the brakes to meet you expectations - he predicts people will die because of this - the car is sooooo fast, but you can’t stop it.
  10. Still not a track car, but able to hang with _ANY_ sports sedan on the market and embarass it greatly
  11. The plaid inspected on a mechanical lift shows a complete redesigned suspension and other components…
His Bottom Line: Best 4 door sports sedan on the market - if they fix the brakes there is nothing to compete with it.
Just so you know,4 door sedans aren’t race cars. Nobody races 4 door sedans.

Just so you know,4 door sedans aren’t race cars. Nobody races 4 door sedans.
Thanks for reminding me to stop acting on the occasional temptation to click on “Show ignored content”

And a PSA for those who were recently subjected to nonsense and wonder what I’m posting about: if you click on someone’s user name you will get the option to ignore them which strips their posts from your view of all threads they post in. The most useful functionality on this site.