Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Corsa Plaid Laguna Seca Update 8/1/21

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Alright, one session done here at Laguna. I arrived at the track with 311 miles of range and after one session, I’m at 250. I’m not going to Supercharge this time, I’ll see after the next session.

No power limiting, the car pulled out of 11 and through 1 the same every lap. And that is to say WAY STRONG.

Brakes heated up on the 5th lap. They did not fade but I got the dash warning. I even felt like I was going very easily and not pushing at all…actually protecting the brakes as much as I could. I spoke with Randy Pobst for a couple minutes and he said even with the massive brakes on Dark Helmet brakes are still an issue. Not that I’m anywhere remotely as fast as him, but the point remains the same.

More later…

Attachments

• 9C34A04C-D070-4BDF-98E4-F73C51B9D8BC.jpeg
    9C34A04C-D070-4BDF-98E4-F73C51B9D8BC.jpeg
    955.7 KB · Views: 288
Alright, here's a little download from yesterday. One, it was really nice to meet a bunch of nice people, so if any of you are reading this, it was a pleasure! I really thought there would be another Plaid or two there, aside from Dark Helmet that is.

As far as the car goes, overall it was a good experience. Here's my take.

Downs:
  • Brakes. I tried my very hardest to lay off the brakes as much as I could and I still got the system is hot warning on the dash within a couple laps. I mean I really tried too. In the end I only did two sessions because the guys at Unplugged warned me that the pads will wear out very quickly and then I'd be up the creek. They even took a look and said they were more than 1/2 gone. The car needs brakes to go to the track, period.
  • Limits power until the yoke is straight. Not really a down, per say, but it does limit the shenanigans on the track. I'm not big on overcooking a turn to get the car to rotate sort of drift style, and the car won't let any power oversteer...it keeps things reigned in. Again with better brakes I'd be more adventurous.
  • The car never even pretends to be a lightweight. It's not and it won't ever let you think it is.
  • If it had more brake, it could use more tire for track usage.

Ups:
  • The car is extremely composed. It only got a little bit weird going through Turn 1 over the hill. But that's a full acceleration drop out moment while cresting the hill. And in this car you know what that means...things are happening super quickly. Every other place on the track it was perfectly composed.
  • The power and speed of course. It just destroys everything coming out of 11 (or anywhere).
  • Battery. ~60 miles used in a 15 minutes session. It didn't even get hot enough to turn it's fans on and it never limited power. I didn't bother to leave the track and Supercharge. I'm very confident I could have easily done at least one more session and likely two more without charging. I took pictures just before going on track and just coming off showing the 60 mile range usage, so it's documented.
  • The adjustability of the car. It worked out well...I set a "Track" driver profile and used that and it was excellent. Steering wheel, seat, suspension, etc all set.
  • The suspension is very good. Yeah there is body roll, but the car is planted and gives pretty decent feedback.
  • Yes, the yoke was 100% fine for all about to ask. I never gave it a thought.

I didn't use a transponder and log my times because that's exactly how I'd end up parking it in the gravel trap. I know for a fact I could drive the car way faster than I was, but I was very concerned with the brakes and really the tires too. I do have a hunch I was circulating in the 1:50 range by doing some back of the napkin Teslify math and by hearing some people I was running with saying they were in the 1:50 range. HOWEVER, I have no proof or documentation of this. Regardless, many seconds could be shaved off with decent brakes/tires.

If anyone has questions let me know, I'll be happy to relay what I experienced.

@uthatcher How many miles on your Plaid? I'm curious how much wear your brakes already have on them when you hit the track for them to be more than 50% gone doing just two sessions?

Also, did you drive it up here from LA? Kuddos : ) ...even around here (Monterey), I haven't seen another Plaid; although, to be fair I don't know how to discern the Plaid from another Model S without the rear badge.

Anyways, hope you enjoyed Laguna...a bit spoiled living a few minutes away. Happy to tow people around some of our lovely backroads should you ever be in the area.

@uthatcher How many miles on your Plaid? I'm curious how much wear your brakes already have on them when you hit the track for them to be more than 50% gone doing just two sessions?

Also, did you drive it up here from LA? Kuddos : ) ...even around here (Monterey), I haven't seen another Plaid; although, to be fair I don't know how to discern the Plaid from another Model S without the rear badge.

Anyways, hope you enjoyed Laguna...a bit spoiled living a few minutes away. Happy to tow people around some of our lovely backroads should you ever be in the area.
I’m at around 4300 miles currently. The mileage rate should decrease a bit in the coming months but I still do a lot of miles.
Yep, drove up from LA. 3rd time to the area this month. I always enjoy Laguna, I was just there after the MotoAmerica event for a track day. I think when I’m finally done with LA, I’m heading to Carmel.
Too hard to what pad wear there was when I arrived. Frankly, it’s too hard to tell the current wear…I find it very difficult to see in the wheel. But I didn’t want to take a chance in the event UP was correct and they are getting close to done.

Reactions: TwistedGray
I’m at around 4300 miles currently. The mileage rate should decrease a bit in the coming months but I still do a lot of miles.
Yep, drove up from LA. 3rd time to the area this month. I always enjoy Laguna, I was just there after the MotoAmerica event for a track day. I think when I’m finally done with LA, I’m heading to Carmel.
Too hard to what pad wear there was when I arrived. Frankly, it’s too hard to tell the current wear…I find it very difficult to see in the wheel. But I didn’t want to take a chance in the event UP was correct and they are getting close to done.
Next time you're this way, shoot me a message if you want to see some of the local fun roads.

Carmel Valley is more pleasant than CBTS, limited tourists, nicer weather, ...

Next time you're this way, shoot me a message if you want to see some of the local fun roads.

Carmel Valley is more pleasant than CBTS, limited tourists, nicer weather, ...
Will do, thanks. I actually love the weather in CBTS...as I get older I enjoy the cooler weather better. And being very Irish/English, I don't mind staying out of the sun either! Overall I just really enjoy the area and I really like the proximity to Laguna. I've had the good fortune to ride motorcycles on some world class tracks like Mugello and Misano so I really appreciate tracks like Laguna or COTA. I seriously doubt I'm ever moving to Austin since my significant other is completely allergic to every plant in TX, plus again with the heat and whatnot. Monterey/Carmel region, it all works for me.

• Funny
Reactions: TwistedGray
Will do, thanks. I actually love the weather in CBTS...as I get older I enjoy the cooler weather better. And being very Irish/English, I don't mind staying out of the sun either! Overall I just really enjoy the area and I really like the proximity to Laguna. I've had the good fortune to ride motorcycles on some world class tracks like Mugello and Misano so I really appreciate tracks like Laguna or COTA. I seriously doubt I'm ever moving to Austin since my significant other is completely allergic to every plant in TX, plus again with the heat and whatnot. Monterey/Carmel region, it all works for me.

I would also recommend looking into Pacific Grove. It will be significantly less crowded, likely a little less expensive, you won't be as pressed up against your neighbor (or at least have options to not be), and it's in the same weather pocket (more-or-less). You won't have the same window shopping opportunities and dining opportunities that you have in CBTS, but it's only six miles away.

I'm a motorcycler, too (SuperDuke in the garage right now). I've only done Laguna, Infineon, Summit Point (WV), and Mount Panorama (AUS) which is quite unique...all on a motorcycle. I've never taken a car to the track with exception of some of the local autocrosses, but that was always in a MX-5.

It's gorgeous up here, indeed - we're spoiled :)

Car Week this week should be fun!

Reactions: uthatcher
I would also recommend looking into Pacific Grove. It will be significantly less crowded, likely a little less expensive, you won't be as pressed up against your neighbor (or at least have options to not be), and it's in the same weather pocket (more-or-less). You won't have the same window shopping opportunities and dining opportunities that you have in CBTS, but it's only six miles away.

I'm a motorcycler, too (SuperDuke in the garage right now). I've only done Laguna, Infineon, Summit Point (WV), and Mount Panorama (AUS) which is quite unique...all on a motorcycle. I've never taken a car to the track with exception of some of the local autocrosses, but that was always in a MX-5.

It's gorgeous up here, indeed - we're spoiled :)

Car Week this week should be fun!
Man, Summit Point. That's a major throw-back for me...haven't been there in probably 30+ years. o_O

Man, Summit Point. That's a major throw-back for me...haven't been there in probably 30+ years. o_O

That's where I learned my "defensive driving" skills. I got to spend a day in a P71 with a coach dodging cones, instructors throwing boxes at you, trying to hold a drift around the donut track, all sorts of fun! Didn't cost a penny...I must have just got my license or permit, and they used it as an incentive to teach younger/new drivers. Beats me, but boy I'd sure enjoy doing that again : )

Reactions: uthatcher
My question...could you do a save like this with the Yoke? this was my last TT. I did a 1:44 (1:53/1:48 first 2) and was hoping I could get a 1:42 until this /data layout kinda sucks.meh
4 save.jpg

going in with gentle right and almost needed full lock left to save with a bit of a corrective twitch so I didn't send it into the sand.
super fun!

what speed did you hit on the front? I max at 120 in the 3 but also overheat the battery & everything on the second hot lap ~@115
small brakes are not the best here either

My question...could you do a save like this with the Yoke? this was my last TT. I did a 1:44 (1:53/1:48 first 2) and was hoping I could get a 1:42 until this /data layout kinda sucks.meh
View attachment 691720
going in with gentle right and almost needed full lock left to save with a bit of a corrective twitch so I didn't send it into the sand.
super fun!

what speed did you hit on the front? I max at 120 in the 3 but also overheat the battery & everything on the second hot lap ~@115
small brakes are not the best here either
Well that I don't know. But I can tell you a 3 with a steering wheel wasn't able to save it right in front of me in 10.
I'm guessing if you were dedicate a Plaid to a track car, a wheel may be in order. But it would definitely not be on the same upgrade priority level as the brakes.