Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Plaid: Paint chipping on Rear quarter panel and doors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Love this car. I don't drive it on dirt roads and only hand wash. My rear quarter panels are getting chipped. Looks like the New flare out is catching the road debris. Anyone else seeing this on their car? only 800 miles
rear quater close up.JPG
his?

Looking for any feedback or experience with Charlotte, NC area PPF (Paint Protection Film) and or Ceramic protection. Taking delivery of 2021 Model S LR MSM 19" Tempest on 8/30 and would like to get this protection right after delivery. Any help would be appreciated.
I’ve used Jeff at Speedway Detail, Cornelius, for all of our vehicles (he’s done the ceramic on 3 Teslas and an Audi R8 for us). He coordinates with Auto Arsenal for the PPF work. He‘s been conscientious, timely and reliable. He does monthly detailing on our vehicles as well. Congrats on your inbound Model S. Loving our black Plaid!

Upvote 0
any reason why these won't work on the refresh?

Upvote 0

Yes, because they don’t fit.

Upvote 0

I have a set in my garage I'll sell you... :)

• Funny
Reactions: cwanja and jebinc
Upvote 0
I search EVERY day for fitted mud flaps for this car and come up empty handed. I ordered track wheels and tires for my black MS with another 1/4” poke and dread the thought of the rear being further assaulted by debris (though it won’t slow me down cause I know I will continue to stomp on the accelerator with every opportunity). I suspect I’ll have to do the modified universal flaps recommended in this thread—if anyone finds custom molded flaps would you please share ASAP?

Upvote 0
I search EVERY day for fitted mud flaps for this car and come up empty handed. I ordered track wheels and tires for my black MS with another 1/4” poke and dread the thought of the rear being further assaulted by debris (though it won’t slow me down cause I know I will continue to stomp on the accelerator with every opportunity). I suspect I’ll have to do the modified universal flaps recommended in this thread—if anyone finds custom molded flaps would you please share ASAP?
@KZ-CLT Here, here!

Upvote 0

And a lot of imagination. I turned these sideways to use the two lower stock fasteners. Drilled one whole up top in the wheel liner for stability.

I also ordered and used these...

If anyone lives in N. Cal and wants some help putting these flaps on (and making instructions in the process for everyone else) PM me. I just finished the rears this weekend.

My design does not require screws but does requires drilling one hole for each flap in the wheel liner. You also need the Amazon items listed above.

Now that I have templates made it should be a straight forward process. Pics of my fronts are posted on page 3 of this thread.

Upvote 0
Yea agreed. I’m going to try to use a clip, plastidip the clip (to protect the metal) and attach the flap to that.. we’ll see how it turns out and if not I’m going to do what you did.
@distortion2112 Looking forward to seeing the result. I wanted to make sure there was no flap movement at speed or in inclement weather. Don't that the flap wearing the paint down, or the flap flying off in snowy or rain weather.
P.S. 2112, great album, BTW!

Upvote 0
@distortion2112 Looking forward to seeing the result. I wanted to make sure there was no flap movement at speed or in inclement weather. Don't that the flap wearing the paint down, or the flap flying off in snowy or rain weather.
P.S. 2112, great album, BTW!
Thanks! Heck yea it is :) I’m going try to limp it along until the after market comes along. I have a feeling I’ll be drilling as well eventually..

Reactions: jebinc
Upvote 0
I have emailed them to see if they fit the refresh 2021 Model S. Will post response when I get it.

Upvote 0