Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Plaid: Paint chipping on Rear quarter panel and doors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Love this car. I don't drive it on dirt roads and only hand wash. My rear quarter panels are getting chipped. Looks like the New flare out is catching the road debris. Anyone else seeing this on their car? only 800 miles
rear quater close up.JPG
his?

I got a reply. They said the “black is for 2012-2015 and the carbon fiber is 2016-2021”—but we know based on past experience that the flaps that fit through 2020 don’t work for the refresh body.

Upvote 0
why doesn't someone just do a 3d design and 3d print it?

you can get things printed by vendors (like shapeways) in strong materials that home printers cant do.

it might not be cheap to hire someone to 3d model your fender and create the flaps, but it would be more time efficient to do that.

if you guys can afford this car, surely you can afford consulting time for a mech-eng type who can do solidworks or equiv. that's what I would do, rather than wait for the chinese to make one.

and once you have the model, anyone can print it (send it out for printing, pick your material and color, etc).

just a suggestion. better to DIY than just wait for someone to do it (and do it poorly, likely).

Upvote 0
why doesn't someone just do a 3d design and 3d print it?

you can get things printed by vendors (like shapeways) in strong materials that home printers cant do.

it might not be cheap to hire someone to 3d model your fender and create the flaps, but it would be more time efficient to do that.

if you guys can afford this car, surely you can afford consulting time for a mech-eng type who can do solidworks or equiv. that's what I would do, rather than wait for the chinese to make one.

and once you have the model, anyone can print it (send it out for printing, pick your material and color, etc).

just a suggestion. better to DIY than just wait for someone to do it (and do it poorly, likely).

I can do it just get me the scan data of the car haha....

Upvote 0
I got a similar response from Taptes and asked for clarification. Here is their response to that:

"Yes, we are still confirming it and it has not been shipped yet. Please be patient and wait. We will check again and send the product to you after confirmation.
If there is anything else we can help with here please do reach out, we're more than happy to help.Please forgive me if my English is not good
Best Regards"

That seems reasonable to me. Will update if I hear more.

Reactions: KZ-CLT and jebinc
Upvote 0
I asked about the finish for the new flaps and Madison said she was not sure about the style, whether they would be black or carbon fiber or both options. I was told, too, that Madison would contact me once she got news of the new mudflaps from the factory.

• Informative
Reactions: BrianKH
Upvote 0
I asked about the finish for the new flaps and Madison said she was not sure about the style, whether they would be black or carbon fiber or both options. I was told, too, that Madison would contact me once she got news of the new mudflaps from the factory.
Please, if you have a real carbon fiber interior and/or carbon fiber spoiler, do not get fake carbon fiber mud flaps. Firstly, they look silly (carbon fiber mud flaps? Seriously?). And secondly, see firstly.

Upvote 0
This place has bunch of precut PPF for the refreshed Model S. I wonder how hard is the diy hood?
I tried the bumper before on my Model 3 and it was a fail.

Shop
The precut always looks bad because a good film is tucked under the panel where there are gaps, but precuts always end short of the gap. The untucked precut edge starts to collect dirt and begins to lift.

• Informative
Reactions: jebinc and webshot
Upvote 0