Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Plaid: Paint chipping on Rear quarter panel and doors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Love this car. I don't drive it on dirt roads and only hand wash. My rear quarter panels are getting chipped. Looks like the New flare out is catching the road debris. Anyone else seeing this on their car? only 800 miles
rear quater close up.JPG
his?

FYI the mud flaps/splash guards passed the 100mph test. Here is a pic to get you started. FYI the stock plastic rivet mounting holes are not the same on both sides of the car. I sacrificed two prototype's (of a 4 pack of guards) before completing.

Working on rears next...

Attachments

• Flap Moc-up.jpg
    Flap Moc-up.jpg
    511.7 KB · Views: 190
  • 20210810_130454.jpg
    20210810_130454.jpg
    640.5 KB · Views: 174
Upvote 0
FYI the mud flaps/splash guards passed the 100mph test. Here is a pic to get you started. FYI the stock plastic rivet mounting holes are not the same on both sides of the car. I sacrificed two prototype's (of a 4 pack of guards) before completing.

Working on rears next...
@webshot! Woo-hoo! I’m following in your shadow, bruh! Already received the flaps you have. Is there a post somewhere on what you had to do to modify the front flaps? Did you have to cut them? I saw the post where you used longer snaps and added a hole in the liner up top, but readers would sure love a blow by blow description of the process used!
@WilliamG

Reactions: Bull
Upvote 0
@webshot! Woo-hoo! I’m following in your shadow, bruh! Already received the flaps you have. Is there a post somewhere on what you had to do to modify the front flaps? Did you have to cut them? I saw the post where you used longer snaps and added a hole in the liner up top, but readers would sure love a blow by blow description of the process used!
@WilliamG
No cutting needed.

Upvote 0

Working on rears next...
Any concerns about the space behind the flap filling up with gravel?

Upvote 0
I just wanted to say.. Knock wood (will probably change right after I post this) but my white MSLR refresh now has 700 miles. No rock chips on the rear quarters or the bumper - and this is in Colorado, where we dump metric tons of sand and gravel each winter on the roads. I’ve taken it up to 100+ several times in insane mode. No chips.

I still plan on doing the flaps for sure, but I find this odd after seeing others blasted after 800 miles. I have heard rumors that the low-VOC paint they use due to California regs is soft - but also that it’s just slow to cure. I got my car on 7/6, so 700 mi in a little over a month, and most of that was 3 weeks after delivery.

Not saying my paint cured more than others and that’s part of the issue, but just some data. I’ve been checking for chips and just don’t have them. Doubt I’m “in the clear” but just something to mention.

Does anyone else NOT have chips after 6-800 miles???

Upvote 0