Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Plaid: Paint chipping on Rear quarter panel and doors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Love this car. I don't drive it on dirt roads and only hand wash. My rear quarter panels are getting chipped. Looks like the New flare out is catching the road debris. Anyone else seeing this on their car? only 800 miles
rear quater close up.JPG
his?

Dealer says that this is normal wear and tear. My car has 3500 miles on it. I don’t drive on dirt roads but I do live in Colorado.
Might be a bit too late for this but this covers more than the stock PPF (the large version)...also covers part of the rockers:

Upvote 0
Dealer says that this is normal wear and tear. My car has 3500 miles on it. I don’t drive on dirt roads but I do live in Colorado.
Wow, just wow
Unfortunately I do think that’s pretty normal. My car got PPF right away and that area has chips in the PPF (not through it, but the surface will chip some just like paint) after 3,000 miles, so it’s just something that’s going to happen. I don’t think ugly mudflaps will fully stop it even
Teslas paint does suck, so it’s going to chip worse than most, but I can tell you that I’ve had 4 911’s and the Porsche paint, which is definitely MUCH better quality, still chipped in that area a lot after time and Porsche also puts some PPF there from the factory, but it doesn’t catch all the rocks

Upvote 0
Does anyone have the paint chips with white paint? I have 19" and white paint and have to drive on a gravel road sometimes, although I go slow, about 20 max, and I get dirt there but no chips in paint. I think some paint colors, or maybe some paint vintages, are stronger than others.
Had white on a previous Tesla (same pearl white that’s on the Plaid/LR) and it chipped just as easy. You may not get as much with the 19’s, but it’ll still happen for sure

Upvote 0
I've noticed my white plaid holding up well in those areas too. Looks nothing like the horror show pics that people post of the other colors.
1800 miles and mine (white) has almost no chips.. it does indeed show up.. the primer is dark.

Knock wood. I’m in Colorado like the other poster.

I did add Iyordanov’s larger PPF and the Tesla flaps around 1600mi.

Upvote 0