Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Plaid Track Package Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
View attachment 956375This is what they told me the reason they couldn’t install them was. I was kind of set on returning them but I decided to ask the SC if they’d work with me in any way to get these installed. One of the lead advisors told me they could give me two options: remove the MPP control arms and bring it in with stock arms and they’d gladly install them.

The other option is they’d give me a pro-rated refund for installation and I can have them installed elsewhere. After the installation I can bring the car back to the SC and they’d update the car configuration to unlock all track pack features including top speed. They said this has to be done at the SC and can’t be done over the air.

This seems reasonable to me and I got a shop I’ve worked with in the past lined up to install the brakes and align it.

I’ve always been weary of spoken promises but the advisor did send me the promised refund amount over email.

Got an appointment at the shop that has done previous suspension and brake work for me and they will install. They’ve done fantastic work for me in the past so I’ll update once it’s all done.

Last, @DayTrippin I’d be glad to weigh anything since I got the boxes handy. Let me know.
I’m in the same boat as you. I’ll be out at TeslaCorsa East today in Atlanta. Tesla is supposed to be there. If I can find someone with some authority there I’ll try to find out if they will sell me a boxed ccb brake kit so I can do the same.

Else I’ll be happy with my MPP rotor upgrades. My tires are my limiting factor too with the MPP rotor and a Gloc R12 brake pad.
I’m sure over time the software advancements on the ccb tweaks will find their way into the non ccb

Reactions: 1100MCM
There is no “mystery”. There is a configuration file (basically a .txt) with lots of “parameters” in it (which toggles specific functions)
One of them is CCB parameter which, when toggled, alters the brake pedal and the suspension in track mode
I think the "mystery" here is exactly what is adjusted specifically. Not that there is a config file. So when the CCB parameter is selected, what all is tweaked?

Is rebound and compression dampening adjusted? If so and under what conditions? Is front compression dampening increased when brakes are applied? Are their suspension tweaks for when the car exceeds XXX mph? Is there some adjustment done to the rake of the car to improve aero at XXX mph? There are all kinds of tweaks that could be made. I'd love to see the extent of them.

Currently it is basically a black box surrounded by a lot of speculation to what has been done. As I noted I can already see a difference in ABS performance. Maybe they will have additional options for very sticky tires, or specific track parameters. The options are almost endless and could further differentiate the Plaid from its LR brethren and competitors. Honestly once rolling the MR is a pretty impressive tool and could benefit from the brakes as well.

At the same time, I am realistic that Tesla may not do any more to develop this than they already have. At least they didn't just didn't slap calipers and rotors on the car and call it a day. I am pleasantly surprised at the effort that did go into it. So far I am really enjoying it.

For those of you who have had the CCB or Track Package installed; were you able to drop the vehicle off in the morning and pick it up the same day in the afternoon? My Track Package install is scheduled for 24 July at 0715, and I want to make certain I have a loaner to drive home (two hour drive from the service center) in the likely event Tesla cannot complete the install in a single day.

Artemus

For those of you who have had the CCB or Track Package installed; were you able to drop the vehicle off in the morning and pick it up the same day in the afternoon? My Track Package install is scheduled for 24 July at 0715, and I want to make certain I have a loaner to drive home (two hour drive from the service center) in the likely event Tesla cannot complete the install in a single day.

Artemus
Don’t plan on same day. First Teslas appointment system is to normally get you in the queue not for work to start at arrival.

Secondly, it’s a good 6-10 procedure depending on what month/year your build is. Builds prior to 3/22 will need all four knuckles replaced and an alignment at the end.

Talk to your advisor before hand about getting a loaner if available.

Artemus
As Awiner said, you are looking at 6-10 hours of actual work on the car. Then they have to burnish the brakes after the install. Allow for extra time if yours is the first they've done.

Just ask for a loaner while there. They should give it to you given how long the install will be and how far away you live.

On a side note, they also charged my car while there but set the charge level to 100% when done. Fortunately they took it out of service mode and I was able to stop it from charing so high. Nice that they stuck it on an L2 charger but bad they set the charge level so high.

There’s obviously some tweaks made. I think I posted somewhere about it, but not in this thread. I can feel the difference in the ABS engagement. With all the extra rear rotor that you have compared to stock, they have definitely increase amount of braking in the rear.

In general, the car feels more nimble. The braking performance is vastly improved at higher speeds for me. I don’t really notice much of a difference on my first cold stop at 30 miles an hour. It seems close enough to stock that I can’t really tell a difference. Which is a good thing because I don’t feel like I lost any braking performance at 30 miles, an hour, considering these are designed to operate at higher temps.

You can stand on the brakes a triple digit speeds in the car can instantly get you to the point of lock up with the ABS. It finally stops as well as it goes. It’s obvious that this was not just a rip and replace, but they actually put some time into dialing in the software around it too.

Absolutely worth the money. Should’ve been this way from the factory.

After the horrible brakes, my #2 complaint about the Plaid is the poor suspension. A car of that class needs better. It needs an active suspension, or at least a passive suspension that works. The car lacks torsional stiffness. You can feel how unsettled the car gets on rough roads. I wonder if the lighter brakes (less unsprung weight) improves the suspension feel.

After the horrible brakes, my #2 complaint about the Plaid is the poor suspension. A car of that class needs better. It needs an active suspension, or at least a passive suspension that works. The car lacks torsional stiffness. You can feel how unsettled the car gets on rough roads. I wonder if the lighter brakes (less unsprung weight) improves the suspension feel.
Many of these issues have been addressed by the track pack firmware and revised programming of the steering and suspension.

I haven’t tested it on a track yet, but Misha did around the ring and was amazed at what the software reprogramming achieved.

Highly unlikely. It has also to do with firmware changes. The bigger rear brakes results in changing the front to rear braking bias. I could notice that right away. Not to mention the TP is dialed into the accelerative capabilities of the Plaid. I can tell you my LR, while not slow, never squatted the way my Plaid does at 100 mph.

I’m in the same boat as you. I’ll be out at TeslaCorsa East today in Atlanta. Tesla is supposed to be there. If I can find someone with some authority there I’ll try to find out if they will sell me a boxed ccb brake kit so I can do the same.

Else I’ll be happy with my MPP rotor upgrades. My tires are my limiting factor too with the MPP rotor and a Gloc R12 brake pad.
I’m sure over time the software advancements on the ccb tweaks will find their way into the non ccb
Curious if you got your answer while at TeslaCorsa East? i spoke with Tesla a bit about various topics while there and frustration of waiting for knuckles to enable my CCB upgrade to happen. Had a blast at AMP - with the stock brakes complaining about overheating throughout the day it solidified any doubts I had about getting in line for them.

Last edited:
Getting mine installed... 3rd day now... Originally was told that it would be done by EOD.

Got wheels/tires as well. Can't wait to track it..

Attachments

• 20230718_141153.jpg
    20230718_141153.jpg
    460.1 KB · Views: 134
  • 20230718_155532.jpg
    20230718_155532.jpg
    512.4 KB · Views: 106
Curious if you got your answer while at TeslaCorsa East? i spoke with Tesla a bit about various topics while there and frustration of waiting for knuckles to enable my CCB upgrade to happen. Had a blast at AMP - with the stock brakes complaining about overheating throughout the day it solidified any doubts I had about getting in line for them.
Yes it wasn’t the answer I wanted. I spoke to the Tesla service manager . He said they are not allowed to touch any aftermarket parts. But they won’t let me get it installed anywhere else either. He said they have no leeway in what they cannot do. Said something about they’re not mechanics, they’re clones of factory installers.

I’ve run at AMP before and the MPP brakes with the Gloc R12 compound is very very sufficient - not a single brake temp warning and not a single brake fade episode all day. The total MPP package costs $2800 plus the Gloc r12 pads cost $700

Reactions: Tdreamer
Misha did around the ring and was amazed at what the software reprogramming achieved.
In Misha's first video, the one he proclaimed Plaid dangerously unstable he had turned the stability down to -10, essentially in drift.mode.

In this most recent video, where he praises the Plaid and apologizes to Tesla, he left the stability at the race mode default of the midway 0. This is clear in both videos.

Misha is long time Tesla hater and demonstrably stupid for not being curious about the stability settings in his first video. Glad he finally came around but his praise is likely more due to fixing his earlier track settings error.

Reactions: SO16