Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Plaid Track Package Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just looked. The service screen now says 40psi. Used to say 42psi cold.

The door label says 40psi as well.

Attachments

• IMG_3762.jpeg
    IMG_3762.jpeg
    387 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_3761.jpeg
    IMG_3761.jpeg
    342.2 KB · Views: 59
My 2022 Plaid has always specified 42 psi cold on the touchscreen for the 21” tires. I’ll have to look in the door where the pressure recommendation sticker is. I believe it ways 42 or maybe 40 as well.
My door sticker says 40, but I've heard 42 also, and Tesla apparently thinks it's 45. So go figure. Regardless, that's really high and not ideal for performance driving in my experience. My X5M is recommended for 36 cold, the Jag SVR is 37 cold, and I believe the GTR was 32. The M8 is also 32 if online sources are correct. I'm glad to see they dropped it down for the performance pack. It probably has a big benefit on stability because it allows the tread to contact the surface a bit better. I've never seen a performance car come with such high recommended pressures.

.... when I had a tire replaced by Tesla, they put 45psi in cold.
This also came up for me today because my tire pressures were setting off a low pressure warning at 33psi yesterday, so I bumped them to 40 cold. When driving it today, I found it very squirrelly, almost like it was going to go off the road, when punching it.
Just curious if you have verified your tire pressures with a calibrated gauge vs the car TPMS? Could be your car isn't reporting the same pressure as the Tesla service center. Maybe check against them while cold and hot too.

Just curious if you have verified your tire pressures with a calibrated gauge vs the car TPMS? Could be your car isn't reporting the same pressure as the Tesla service center. Maybe check against them while cold and hot too.
It's definitely accurate, matches my gauge. Also, my other tires were around 36 at the time, so that's odd that they didn't bother to set them all at the same pressure.

I ordered my CCB only track pack in the first few minutes they were offered. After a few install dates set and pushed awaiting knuckles, I was informed all parts are finally in with installation set for next Monday morning. I'm hoping they get things installed and sorted out quickly (2-3 days max) as I have a track event next Saturday I was praying these would be installed in time for. I've had brake over-temp alerts along with one experience with unpleasant brake fade when I failed to pay attention to that alert. Should be nice to explore limits other than the brakes.

I noticed that about regen too. I am tempted to run it in track mode all the time just for the extra regen. Well that and the torque vectoring. I wish they had a semi-track mode. Like a track mode set up for more aggressive street driving but not full on track attack.
Totally agree. A more customizable setting, and also being able to change the center and driver screen displays. No reason they couldn’t do this with software upgrades.

Reactions: DayTrippin
Question for those with the track pack installed...is Tesla sticking with the 45psi recommended cold pressure on the tires? In my experience, that's extremely high and not ideal in most situations. Usually for this tire, the recommended pressure would be around 32-36psi and even a bit lower in some cases, so I've never understood why Tesla has such a high recommended pressure, unless it's to compensate for suspension geometry/alignment.
Mine came back with 45psi cold pressure in the g/3R’s all around. If anything these 20” tires seem to take the bumps better than the 21” Arachnids with P4S.Cheers

Initial completed date was Wed. Moved to today, now moved to Friday. Hopefully it will be done tomorrow. Still waiting on the 2 damaged wheels and missing tire. Not the update i was hoping for but fingers crossed the kit is installed properly.

Mine came back with 45psi cold pressure in the g/3R’s all around. If anything these 20” tires seem to take the bumps better than the 21” Arachnids with P4S.Cheers
Yes, that's because it has smaller diameter wheels and the tires have a taller sidewall (285/35 and 305/30 vs 265/35 and 295/30) than the 21" wheel/tire set. It's so weird to me that they set the tire pressures so high, given that the max pressure on the tires is 50psi and they're starting at 45psi cold. Beside being bad for performance, it risks a blowout if the tire goes over the max pressure when it gets hot.

Initial completed date was Wed. Moved to today, now moved to Friday. Hopefully it will be done tomorrow. Still waiting on the 2 damaged wheels and missing tire. Not the update i was hoping for but fingers crossed the kit is installed properly.
Hopefully, it finally gets installed. Do you plan on keeping the track wheels? Or just going to roll with stock for now and buy something aftermarket?

Yes, that's because it has smaller diameter wheels and the tires have a taller sidewall (285/35 and 305/30 vs 265/35 and 295/30) than the 21" wheel/tire set. It's so weird to me that they set the tire pressures so high, given that the max pressure on the tires is 50psi and they're starting at 45psi cold. Beside being bad for performance, it risks a blowout if the tire goes over the max pressure when it gets hot.
50 is max cold inflation pressure, not max pressure.

Ford recommends 46 PSI cold on the pilot sport 4s (50 max cold) for the Focus RS. On track I've gotten it to 55+ PSI without any issues.

50 is max cold inflation pressure, not max pressure.

Ford recommends 46 PSI cold on the pilot sport 4s (50 max cold) for the Focus RS. On track I've gotten it to 55+ PSI without any issues.
Really? That seems like a bad idea. This shows max (overall, not cold) pressure is 50psi, it's even listed on the sidewall. Usual operating range for these tires is 32-36psi, and usually GT-Rs with these tires run 28-32 on the track.

"What Is The Max PSI For Tires?

The maximum PSI (pounds per square inch) for tires is the highest air pressure your tires can safely hold. However, this is not the recommended tire pressure, which is usually much lower and can be found in your vehicle’s driver’s door jamb or owner’s manual."

michelin-pilot-sport-4s-tire-pressure

Attachments

• tempImagehcw6mm.png
    tempImagehcw6mm.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 44
Really? That seems like a bad idea. This shows max (overall, not cold) pressure is 50psi, it's even listed on the sidewall. Usual operating range for these tires is 32-36psi, and usually GT-Rs with these tires run 28-32 on the track.

The maximum PSI (pounds per square inch) for tires is the highest air pressure your tires can safely hold. However, this is not the recommended tire pressure, which is usually much lower and can be found in your vehicle’s driver’s door jamb or owner’s manual."

If you feel it's a "bad idea" or "weird" that Tesla/Michelin engineers sanctioned the recommended 40-42, what psi are you proposing and based on what data? Tire pressure is largely dependent on load and the MSP is no lightweight pushing 5K lbs w/ a human + heavy, world class heavy, power output.

1K miles in, my MSP rides smooth af bone stock, factory everything. It's the suspension design that's the real contributor to abbreviated tire life span here given the healthy dose of negative camber, toe out on aggressive acceleration + pure mass/power.

I personally love the fact that they shod the MSP with PS4Ss. CCBs certainly aren't going to help matters. Burn rubber, baby.

again that is cold inflation pressure

the manual says you can go to 50 cold for track use
ford/michelin codeveloped the tire specifically for the car

If you feel it's a "bad idea" or "weird" that Tesla/Michelin engineers sanctioned the recommended 40-42, what psi are you proposing and based on what data? Tire pressure is largely dependent on load and the MSP is no lightweight pushing 5K lbs w/ a human + heavy, world class heavy, power output.

1K miles in, my MSP rides smooth af bone stock, factory everything. It's the suspension design that's the real contributor to abbreviated tire life span here given the healthy dose of negative camber, toe out on aggressive acceleration + pure mass/power.

I personally love the fact that they shod the MSP with PS4Ss. CCBs certainly aren't going to help matters. Burn rubber, baby.
Well I said running 50psi cold and 55psi on the track was a bad idea, and 45psi was weird given that their own recs for cold pressure is 40-42, so you're misrepresenting what I said. But most cars including heavy ones, with these or similar tires use 32-36psi. My X5M is recommended for 36psi, and the SVR is 37, as noted. And Tesla apparently decided the 42 was too high and lowered it to 40. And then they lowered it even more to 32-36 for high speed and presumably track use. So there's that. Yes, smooth af is not exactly the same as maximized for performance. It's a fast sport sedan, not a Buick. But yes, great tires, I just think when you're using performance tires on a performance car, you should set the tire pressures as the ideal pressure for performance.

again that is cold inflation pressure

the manual says you can go to 50 cold for track use
ford/michelin codeveloped the tire specifically for the car
I trust TireRack, but that's the only source I've seen use max pressure as the max cold pressure. Regardless, pushing 55psi on a tire is risky, and doesn't mean you should ever air your tires up to 50psi cold. And the Focus is maybe an unusual case, I'm wasn't familiar with it, but looking at the specs it's a nose-heavy econobox with a front-drive based AWD system, so maybe that's a factor, but they still don't recommend 50psi.

The manual you posted says "Do not exceed a cold tire pressure of 50 psi (3.4 bar) for track use," that doesn't mean that's the ideal pressure for the track, nor does that mean it's the norm for most performance cars, where the tire pressures recommendations are usually much lower in my experience.

Well I said running 50psi cold and 55psi on the track was a bad idea, and 45psi was weird given that their own recs for cold pressure is 40-42, so you're misrepresenting what I said.But most cars including heavy ones, with these or similar tires use 32-36psi. My X5M is recommended for 36psi, and the SVR is 37, as noted. And Tesla apparently decided the 42 was too high and lowered it to 40. And then they lowered it even more to 32-36 for high speed and presumably track use. So there's that. Yes, smooth af is not exactly the same as maximized for performance. It's a fast sport sedan, not a Buick. But yes, great tires, I just think when you're using performance tires on a performance car, you should set the tire pressures as the ideal pressure for performance.

You're overthinking what Tesla is specifying, what other owners have already shared with you re track pack specs and how to read tire sidewalls. lol

Modern tires, esp commissioned for high performance vehicles like the MSP, are engineered to the nth degree for that specific application so citing tire pressure from one vehicle to another to prove a point is the very def of being obtuse.

If the ability to drive daily in peace/quiet, plant the flag as the fastest ev at the Nurburgring and exceed 200mph on the *very same tires* is not "maximized for performance", I don't know what is friend.

32 psi cold for GY/PS4S if bombing down the autobahn in Mex, else 40 psi dropping off the kiddies at soccer practice.

Reactions: Daniel L