Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Pre-Owned Advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all -

I am super newbie to the forum but a long term admirer of Tesla. I recently arrived in Miami Beach and am looking to buy a pre owned Model S. I have a few questions, based on the following metrics/ about me:
  1. I will only drive the car around 3-4k miles per year
  2. I plan on financing personally or paying cash
My questions are:

1. Do I search the private market or buy directly Tesla CPO?
  2. Advice for battery (resell, since mileage range doesn't matter for me)?
  3. Is it better to get an older car and put less miles on it or a newer one and the less miles scenario?
  4. I would most likely sell this in 3-4 years, what features do I NEED for a better resell and what are overrated?
Thanks in advance!

Use www.ev-cpo.com to search through all the used Teslas available direct from Tesla. It's a third party site that scrapes information from Teslas website and provides listings for all of US. Teslas site is Geo restrictive. And doesn't show much outside of your area without having to drop a bunch of zipcodes.

I'm not far from you (Hallandale) and just went through the same process. I searched diligently. My suggestion would be to get the lowest priced AP2 car you can get (post 10/2016 build). You'll get to enjoy the best autopilot and i think it will hold value very well. Search ev-cpo.com as a starting point. Amazingly most 3rd party sellers ask for more money than what you can get directly from Tesla. Become very familiar with the prices on ev-cpo.com and watch them fluctuate for your target car. A 75D would be fine given how little you drive. I would prefer 75D (the D is for dual motor -all wheel drive) over a straight 75 because the 75D's that were sold in late 2016 can all be uncorked through software for free through Tesla to get 4.2 sec 0-60. The plain 75 can't.

After knowing the prices, I would then check the for sale section here and other sites and make real offers. For a car not being sold by Tesla I would offer 10% - 15% below the lowest price you find through Tesla. For a 75D with AP2, expect to pay low to mid 60's through Tesla. I would offer low to mid 50's for private party. Since you don't plan to put many miles, I would actually buy a very high mileage car. The Tesla warranty is good for 4 years 50,000 miles. You could buy a 40,000 mile car that's 2 years old and still keep the whole warranty timeframe because you won't cross the mileage threshold before the time limit. I also don't drive much and find that I prefer to get a high mileage car (and therefore get a discount for it being high mileage) but because i drive so little by the time i sell it actually is at normal mileage for its age and therefore there's no high mileage discount at sale time. I just bought last weekend a fully loaded showroom perfect 90D built 12/2016 delivered 1/2017 for $60k even from the for sale section here:

2016 AP2 Model S 90D for sale in Pittsburgh PA

Last edited:
Reactions: Matt L
Hi all -

I am super newbie to the forum but a long term admirer of Tesla. I recently arrived in Miami Beach and am looking to buy a pre owned Model S. I have a few questions, based on the following metrics/ about me:
  1. I will only drive the car around 3-4k miles per year
  2. I plan on financing personally or paying cash
My questions are:

1. Do I search the private market or buy directly Tesla CPO?
  2. Advice for battery (resell, since mileage range doesn't matter for me)?
  3. Is it better to get an older car and put less miles on it or a newer one and the less miles scenario?
  4. I would most likely sell this in 3-4 years, what features do I NEED for a better resell and what are overrated?
Thanks in advance!

1. Obviously Tesla CPO. You do not want to miss 4yr/50k mile warranty + 70 pts inspections
2. Do not know too much. Saw a post about upgrading (or uncorking?) from 60 to 70. I personally recommend 85 for the price point.
3. I don’t understand the questions. Obviously newer one with less miles are way better option.
4. You need to list your budget. 45k? 60k? Or 100k? Whatever vehicle you will get, it will have similar range of resell value unless every car makers start making EVs cheaper than Model 3.

Incredibly helpful. @Omer !

@kaidou My budget is $45k. I think Omer answered my mileage question - I should buy high and since I'll put less on, by the time I part with the car it'll be 'normal' mileage.

Tough question - should I just be getting a brand new Model 3 before the year end (and thus grabbing the $7500 tax credit?!)

Incredibly helpful. @Omer !

@kaidou My budget is $45k. I think Omer answered my mileage question - I should buy high and since I'll put less on, by the time I part with the car it'll be 'normal' mileage.

Tough question - should I just be getting a brand new Model 3 before the year end (and thus grabbing the $7500 tax credit?!)

Yeah I'd suggest a model 3 at that price point. If you really prefer the looks of the S, cars without leather sell for about a $5k discount to those with leather so you might find an AP2 non leather S for high 40's. I would definitely shoot for either an AP2 Model S or any Model 3 over a non AP2 Model S.