Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S price drop in europe

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
guys im a bit surprised no one is really talking about the model s price drop in europe. A fully speced model S P100DL has gone down from 155k euro including vat to 109 k including vat. This is massive, and a bit unfair to people that recently bought a car. I wonder what will happen with the used car value. Did such a drop happened before?

Reactions: Maniac and CHL
Yeah, I don't think it's quite sunk in yet! Most people in the UK thought it was a mistake initially. I expect a lot of backlash shortly from new owners who missed out on this price drop, especially those who have recently bought a P100D. I would be livid!

Anyone who didn't expect Tesla prices to go down in time isn't paying attention. I just took delivery of my Model 3 and I know full well that the same new car will be sold for less in the very near future.

In 1988, a very basic do-nothing-but-call-people cell phone cost $1,500. A satellite tuner and dish cost $2,000. A Tandy computer with a 15-meg (yes, 15mb) hard drive with a 640x200 monitor was $4,200.

Early adopters knowingly pay a premium for being early adopters. But they also find satisfaction that they're paving the way for the future.

Reactions: ggnykk
Anyone who didn't expect Tesla prices to go down in time isn't paying attention. I just took delivery of my Model 3 and I know full well that the same new car will be sold for less in the very near future.

In 1988, a very basic do-nothing-but-call-people cell phone cost $1,500. A satellite tuner and dish cost $2,000. A Tandy computer with a 15-meg (yes, 15mb) hard drive with a 640x200 monitor was $4,200.

Early adopters knowingly pay a premium for being early adopters. But they also find satisfaction that they're paving the way for the future.

but nobody expects a reckless 30% drop overnight on an automobile.
This is madness by Tesla and sends a message that Tesla are not a company to be trusted.
This could have been handled so much better.

Reactions: georgewyull
I could be wrong, but I would say this has to be the largest overnight price drop in automotive history. In the UK, if you picked up your brand new loaded MS P100DL last week you paid roughly £138k GBP. Now that car can be bought new for £95k GBP. Yours is now worth prob. £85k at best (there are now new P100DL inventory models for £91k). So you lost £54,000 ($71,000) in a week. This is the worst scenario, but everyone who owns a Tesla in the UK has been hit hard (if you're not planning on keeping for years and fully depreciating, that is).

As I said in another post, the Model S is now cheaper in the UK than in the US, which is crazy because Tesla pays 20% of the UK price to the UK government as VAT tax! And there's the shipping cost as well! So basically Tesla has decided for some reason to sell cars in the UK for 20+% less than in the US.

My personal view is that this is no way to treat your customers or run a business. It's hard to imagine one of the established car companies pulling a stunt like this and as competition in this space gets greater, antics like this will be remembered by those who decided to support Tesla in the past. But all these recent moves including closing retail outlets seem to reek a bit of desperation, so maybe burning bridges with your existing customers is the only option?