Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla drops prices on X/S $20k. All colors free. Bye bye resale

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah but realistically even if I, say, wanted a 2024 to get a new car with new, fancy seats (and my goodness do I want them), itā€™s not worth paying $88k+$8K FSD+$1500 blue color + TTL to get there again. Thatā€™s over $30Kā€¦
Iā€™ve been mulling this over as well. With the giant price cuts financially its not a terrible deal (id never buy fsd). The issue is youā€™re entering a panel lottery like youā€™re buying a crappy samsung tv. You donā€™t know if youā€™re car will be put together correctly, if it will be aligned correctly etc. could end up with a worse car than current

Reactions: brooklyn
TLDR: It's not about making money, it's about making a sound financial decision and then being blindsided by Tesla.
Tesla doesnā€™t set prices, the market does.

Buying a new car at the height of a massive bubble is not a ā€œsound financial decision.ā€ Buying a new car rarely if ever is, bubble or not.

Blaming an automaker - whose literal job is to sell cars at a price the market will bear - for your bad financial decisions is ludicrous (pun intended).

So many people out there looking for someone to blame but canā€™t stand to look in the mirrorā€¦

What's the best Rivian message board?

Back on topic...Edmunds says my car is worth 66k private party...
I don't think there is a "best" Rivian board, they're all still in the early days of Tesla forums ā€¦ post a harsh word and get 1000 posts shouting you down ā€¦ a lot of hero worship and $RIVN "it will be $175 again, just you HODL like the rest of us!"
I'd say Reddit is the quickest with news and most lively.
generic:
mostly duplicate content:
What I use is a folder of tabs that open with social media searches.
I've given up on instagram (all advertising and aspiring social media stars.)
The one I use for Rivian is twitter.
(click on "Top" and "Latest" for different results)
There's one moderately active facebook group. I don't follow it much, it's all derivative of whatever has already happened in the subreddit.
www.facebook.com/groups/354388531985101
I don't use facebook for much except Tesla World Wide
www.facebook.com/groups/teslaworldwide
and I've never even heard of tiktok ā€¦ : )

Buying a new car at the height of a massive bubble is not a ā€œsound financial decision.ā€ Buying a new car rarely if ever is, bubble or not.

Blaming an automaker - whose literal job is to sell cars at a price the market will bear - for your bad financial decisions is ludicrous (pun intended).

So many people out there looking for someone to blame but canā€™t stand to look in the mirrorā€¦
Used market is set by the market. New cars are set by Manufacturer. Market influences how much they can profit. In a standard dealer market, dealers put market adjustments, not the manufacturer. And every dealer has to put the market adjust clearly labeled since manufacturer prints the monroney sticker, outlining the MSRP. Tesla is the only manufacturer Iā€™ve ever seen dump the MSRP without any major meaningful changes. I mean, clearly everyone who bought a new Tesla from 2020-2022 is a blithering idiot by your standard then. šŸ‘

Reactions: WilliamG
Iā€™ve been mulling this over as well. With the giant price cuts financially its not a terrible deal (id never buy fsd). The issue is youā€™re entering a panel lottery like youā€™re buying a crappy samsung tv. You donā€™t know if youā€™re car will be put together correctly, if it will be aligned correctly etc. could end up with a worse car than current
Yep and thatā€™s the issue. You just donā€™t know what youā€™re getting into with a Tesla in terms ofā€¦well, anything really. Could very well end up with a more frustrating car. Itā€™s also a time sink if you do, and having to get windows re-tinted etc, bleh. Just probably not worth the effort at all.

And yet Tesla is the only automaker who behaves this way. No one else raises and cuts prices by $20k+ within months. Hell the Plaid is more than $50k less than its peak -- which worked out for me, but I absolutely would be pissed if I bought in at $140k and saw the cuts.

Agreed. I'm not terribly out of pocket if I made a move for the new seats/mech horn, etc., but my car appears to have been put together reasonably well. I'd walk away from the full XPel wrap I just installed a year ago, but that was going to happen eventually, but I don't know that it's worth the anxiety factor of whether or not the next one will be as solid as my current car. That and I would really want to be able to roll the price of the track pack brakes into the purchase, which at this point doesn't seem to be an option.

I donā€™t think any of the updates this far are significant enough to lose $30+k to upgrade. It is still overall the same car.

The seats they claim will be offered as a retrofit. And we probably can source and install them after the fact even if they never fulfill that promise.

And yet Tesla is the only automaker who behaves this way. No one else raises and cuts prices by $20k+ within months. Hell the Plaid is more than $50k less than its peak -- which worked out for me, but I absolutely would be pissed if I bought in at $140k and saw the cuts.

Tesla is unique compared to most other automakers in that they are not only the manufacturer but also the dealer. A price increase from Tesla essentially reflects a price increase from a manufacturer and/or a price add-on from a dealer. The last few years were abnormal for the auto market due to COVID with cars frequently having sold at or above MSRP, sometimes well above. A lot of people who bought at the top of the market (whether a Tesla or other brand) have seen their resale values impacted.

Reactions: SO16
Tesla is unique compared to most other automakers in that they are not only the manufacturer but also the dealer. A price increase from Tesla essentially reflects a price increase from a manufacturer and/or a price add-on from a dealer. The last few years were abnormal for the auto market due to COVID with cars frequently having sold at or above MSRP, sometimes well above. A lot of people who bought at the top of the market (whether a Tesla or other brand) have seen their resale values impacted.
At least with a dealer you know youā€™re getting fleeced. They could have done what they do for inventory discounts and have a different selling price compared to the MSRP. But that would have made it to obvious to customers that they were getting taken for a ride.

Yes. Buying during peak Covid was EXTREMELY expensive on both the purchase and resale later. Even Elon said the prices were embarrassingly high.

And at covid time, no one knew for sure when Covid would retreat. Hindsight always 20/20. I just buy a vehicle, keep it for years to where resale means nothing and want my next Tesla to be better and cheaper than the last. Also means less in taxes, registration fees and insurance.

Elon laid it out for people back then. Yes the prices are high due to supply chain, inflation and demand. He wanted to lower them in the future. Pretty straight forward.