Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What a crazy night! First highland, then model S and X drop to the cheapest I’ve seen yet with free paint colors!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Highland sends a clear message from Tesla that Model S customers be damned.

Model S customers were always damned from the get-go. I remember Elon saying that MS sales were used to fund projects for mass-producing cars, which I'm sure is still happening to this day.

I think the new M3 looks great (the interior is also very nice) and I'm jealous of those rear tail lights. I also noticed that the windshield washer nozzles are on the wiper arms? Was it always like this?

At the end of the day, Tesla is a business, they need to sell cars in-mass to make good profit to survive. Tesla vehicles are starting to become quite normal on the road like Camry and Corolla, and that's a very good thing.

Reactions: Country Roads
Model S customers were always damned from the get-go. I remember Elon saying that MS sales were used to fund projects for mass-producing cars, which I'm sure is still happening to this day.

I think the new M3 looks great (the interior is also very nice) and I'm jealous of those rear tail lights. I also noticed that the windshield washer nozzles are on the wiper arms? Was it always like this?

At the end of the day, Tesla is a business, they need to sell cars in-mass to make good profit to survive. Tesla vehicles are starting to become quite normal on the road like Camry and Corolla, and that's a very good thing.
Why would you compare the M3 to the MS? They are not even the same size, not the same suspension, and the drive comfort as well as suspension are at a different level, and not to mention the cabin size. One could say the same thing comparing a C-class Mbenz to an S-class Mbenz (50K vs 100K different, yet with similar dashaboard look).

The MS on the roads looks so different and more luxury than a M3.... I am not sure if the M3 to MS comparison is valid..... Having said that, I have no idea how much more does the MS really cost to build compared to M3.... If I have to guess, M3 has a very small profit margin, wherein MS has more profit margin but that makes sense because they don't sell that many of them too. I feel both have reached the limit as to how cheap a car like these can sell for. Batteries and cost of material will only go up from here as more manufacturers start to consume and buy materials for batteries. I think it is a good time now to jump to a Tesla.... not trying to justify anything as I am also one of those who bought a car before price drops, but at least got mine for a 9,500 discount, so I got screwed by about 4.5 to 5K in a matter of one week : )

Reactions: jabloomf1230
Crazy night. Highland dropped, then model S and X drop to crazy low prices with free paint colors and the X now qualifies for the tax credit!
Agree things are pretty crazy right now. I still think the Model S is the best looking car on the road bar none.

I would love to have a new Tesla model S with 400 miles of range, but the stalkless design is a deal breaker for me. If they would offer the old stalks as an option I would buy a new S in a heartbeat.

Why would you compare the M3 to the MS? They are not even the same size, not the same suspension, and the drive comfort as well as suspension are at a different level, and not to mention the cabin size.

Very true. But many Model 3 buyers think about upgrading to a Model S to get its differentiation. I did. Why, because my 2020 Model 3 rode like crap and was incredibly noisy and the interior was not very luxurious. So I bought the Model S to fix those problems, and now another family member drives the Model 3. With the Highland upgrades (much more quiet ride, smoother ride, gone with the funky front end, more range, rear screen, nicer materials, cooled front seats, etc.), I would not have made the Model S switch.

It's clear Tesla didn't care what it would do to Model S sales by closing the gap on differentiation, so they just lowered the price of the Model S by a huge amount.

Last edited:
I would love to have a new Tesla model S with 400 miles of range, but the stalkless design is a deal breaker for me. If they would offer the old stalks as an option I would buy a new S in a heartbeat.

I have to imagine that in 6 months of shipping the Highland, that there will be a collective uproar from the Model 3 crowd about the horrible steering wheel buttons. It's just the most crap design possible. It will definitely create many aftermarket solutions that may benefit the Model S/X.

Agree things are pretty crazy right now. I still think the Model S is the best looking car on the road bar none.

Honestly I like the stalkless better. It took no time to get used to, now when I drive anything else using a stalk is weird. The only thing I can agree with is the horn button is not as intuitive as pressing the middle of the wheel.

Yeah, I’m in the same boat. I guess I’ll just buy an M3P before Tesla screws that up also with their stupid design decisions.
To quote Seinfeld, who goes from a country where they have ponies to a non-pony country!

Reactions: KJD
I was supposed to pick up my Plaid on Saturday (9/2), but Tesla kept texting me that it was ready earlier. I wound up picking it up on Wed (8/30). Car cost me $102k, now the same car would be $89k. I’m pretty bummed out, but I think I’m SOL.

At least the car is awesome, so I’ve got that going for me…

It was always like this.

My 2016 75D was about 96K I think, to put things into perspective.

It was always like this.

My 2016 75D was about 96K I think, to put things into perspective.
I think the recent price cuts on the MS and X are unprecedented in their degree and rapidity. The inflation adjusted original sale prices of Teslas that are many years old are much higher than current comparable vehicles. I think the MS and MX P100D were as much as 150k. In the past, the price declines have been more gradual, so people were not left in the situation where they would stand to lose a significant amount of money, or owe a significant amount of money on their loan, if the vehicle was severely damaged or totaled (without GAP coverage). There are people now that are going to be in that situation for many years to come.

Reactions: ginmqi
Honestly, The more this price drops the more i think tesla doesnt know their pricing strategy. I hope elon fights zuck and gets ktfo

Oh not at all.

I bet this was their long term strategy all along.

Tesla started more than 10 years ago and I bet they had a long term plan how to compete in the EV space.

Prior to this past couple of years, Tesla was really THE main player/game in town and so they were able to charge a high price for their cars to keep max profit on per car sold AND to sell high end cars like the S and X to fund more mass market cars like the 3 and Y.

And now with the tax credit and legacy auto makers finally rolling out LOTS of EVs the competition is heating up so Tesla is now slashing prices (while probably still making profit on each car) to try to keep marketshare and continue their EV space dominance

Honestly I like the stalkless better. It took no time to get used to, now when I drive anything else using a stalk is weird. The only thing I can agree with is the horn button is not as intuitive as pressing the middle of the wheel.
There's a 8 minute video review from British youtube channel Carwow; the host demonstrates the new horn which is "now in the center of the steering wheel..." around the 2 minute mark:

I agree. Despite the design by 12 years old, I too think it's the most attractive sedan on the planet.

Reactions: KJD and DBV1