Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S price reductions!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

m3gt2

Sep 14, 2015
england
Plaid isn't even out yet but the price has reduced by £4K! Oh how I need one :D
A756DB53-4A00-4708-9BDE-F2366A85B2FD.jpeg

I just had an updated quote from my reserved Model S, even the cars on order will have a reduction on the price. Can't think of the frustration from those who had them delivered yesterday :(
Whilst I agree I'd be frustrated, would I be feeling the same if they went up! Also show another company that would reduce the price of existing orders, yet they haven't passed on increases when they've risen.

On the plus side for existing owners at least it's only 4 grand. I saw the original 140 grand bill for our 2 year old P100D - it was ordered just a few months before the massive 2019 50k price drop when the P100D was replaced by the Ludicrous Performance model.
That must have smarted a bit...

Reactions: Rooster6655
On the plus side for existing owners at least it's only 4 grand. I saw the original 140 grand bill for our 2 year old P100D - it was ordered just a few months before the massive 2019 50k price drop when the P100D was replaced by the Ludicrous Performance model.
That must have smarted a bit...

Elon always talks about making the cars affordable and good value with small margins but being able to drop £50k says otherwise!

It’s an ever moving situation and you just have to be happy with the price/spec when you order. I tracked the MS changes from July ‘18 trying to judge when was best for me to order a replacement for my S75D. I kid you not that something changed at least once a month. It was either a finance change, a price change, spec change or a battery size change.

I finally pulled the trigger in May on an S LR with free Supercharging, FSD and the 19” carbon wheels. Within days the price dropped by £4K but the free Supercharging was pulled. I switched and took the price reduction and paid for Supercharging. Then FSD went up by £1k and since about July the 19” carbon wheels are no longer available- it’s the standard silvers of £4K+ for 21”s. o_O

I did wonder about holding on for Battery Day in case there was a refresh but in the end I decided I really liked the Raven and collected on 5th Sept.

Despite the continual changes I still much prefer the ordering process - I had the misfortune to spend two hours at Audi trying to sort out a Q2 for the MiL. Now that really was hard work :confused:

Reactions: pow216
Plaid isn't even out yet but the price has reduced by £4K! Oh how I need one :DView attachment 598036

Just for context our Model X with 6 seats, white leather interior was £71k. Even adding in FSD option brings the price up to £76k.

Yes the new Model S has a bigger battery but current S/X prices are not worth the price premium.

S prices should be starting around £50k given how battery prices have fallen over the years.

We are more than ready to buy a S to replace my wifes car, but current new prices is just a rip off from Tesla compared to 2015, when a new S could be ordered for sub £50k.

Just for context our Model X with 6 seats, white leather interior was £71k. Even adding in FSD option brings the price up to £76k.

Yes the new Model S has a bigger battery but current S/X prices are not worth the price premium.

S prices should be starting around £50k given how battery prices have fallen over the years.

We are more than ready to buy a S to replace my wifes car, but current new prices is just a rip off from Tesla compared to 2015, when a new S could be ordered for sub £50k.
I think it's more that it needs a refresh than a price reduction, look at the price difference between a Mercedes E Class and S Class, the S is not worth the extra in material terms but people are happy to pay the premium for the exclusivity, and also the level of customisation they offer which I think Tesla should also offer. If you are looking at that price point then with Tesla you clearly have the 3 or I'd be tempted to wait for the Y to hit our shores and I'd say that will happen in just over a year, I can see them being produced at Berlin in RHD from the word go :)

Reactions: ringi

I’m not so sure I agree with you on this. My 03/17 S60D cost £69k when you add the no longer available PiG back on. I then paid £2k to unlock to a 75D. I also paid £2.8k for the Premium Interior Upgrade, £900 for Sub Zero and £2.4k for Next Gen seats. That’s near as dammit £75k.

Today that £75k buys you a Raven Long Range, so that’s a 100kWh pack, all of the above, air suspension and premium sound. Also included is base Autopilot which I’m pretty sure wasn’t included for free in ‘17. About the only thing that was that isn’t now is free Supercharging, and as we all know that’s not worth much to most people.

Whether an S is ‘good value’ against a 3 is a different question, but comparing today’s price/spec S against 2016/7 suggest the S is very good value (where it’s accepted £75k on a car is never ‘good value’ in the real world) ;)

Reactions: EVMeister and ringi
My 03/17 S60D cost £69k when you add the no longer available PiG back on. I then paid £2k to unlock to a 75D. I also paid £2.8k for the Premium Interior Upgrade, £900 for Sub Zero and £2.4k for Next Gen seats. That’s near as dammit £75k.

So you ended up paying MORE for a 60D Model S versus our 6 seater X!!

These are good car but not worth the price Tesla is current asking for them.

There is a suggestion that this is a direct result of Lucid announcing the price of the Air, even though it won’t be available until early 2022. Elon is certainly taking Lucid seriously. Competition is good.

The Model S definitely needs an overhaul though. There have been three price cuts this year knocking $10k off the price - but sales are still falling.

Reactions: gangzoom
There have been three price cuts this year knocking $10k off the price - but sales are still falling.

With Elons latest tweet why would anyone buy a S today or near future?

US price is already below $70k so UK price should be down to £65k ish soon, so getting closer to where S/X prices should be.

Plaid mode will introduce whole new battery architecture, Tesla are unlikely to run two production lines for the S/X just for Plaid cars, so base models will almost certainly receive substantial updates when Plaid cars hit production.

Nearer £60k starting price, and new battery architecture, thats when I would consider biting on a new S/X.

@DJP31 Hope you're on the phone to Tesla to get them to reduce the invoice price on your S order to reflect the £10k price drop!

Last edited:
So you ended up paying MORE for a 60D Model S versus our 6 seater X!!

No, the base price was £53.5k after the PiG which was £4.5k and no longer available. To make a fair comparison you need to add that in, then add VAT.

@DJP31 Hope you're on the phone to Tesla to get them to reduce the invoice price on your S order to reflect the £10k price drop!

I ordered in May, having spent many months watching the spec and prices change. The price dropped by £4K if I gave up free SuC’ing and Tesla were pro-active with me about which deal I wanted to go for, there was no fuss about the price dropping - not sure the same would be said of other manufacturers.

I’ve already had the car a month and it’s superb, a definite step up from the old one - which I sold for 56% of purchase price after 3.5 years, so pretty good I thought.

One of the odd things on the configuration page I’ve noticed is the 19” sonic carbon wheels are no longer available. It’s silver or £4.4k extra for 21’s.

As I’ve said many times you have to pull the trigger when the deal looks right for you, in the knowledge that the best time to buy is probably later - and I might be dead by then!

The main difference for me this time is I’ve leased, the differential between that and PCP was over £10k and I don’t see any way that premium is worth it in the hope of selling for much more than the GFV.

^Glad to see your enjoying the car, I would love a S to compliment our X, but its very very hard to justify paying MORE for a smaller car with less tech, when we all know battery prices have fallen so much since 2015/16.

We paid £71k for our X in 2016, its the same shell as the S but has powered all round doors, massive windscreen, 6 seats - 4 of which are motorised. Yet in 2016 Tesla was reporting 30%+ profit margins of each car sold.

I don't mind paying extra for stuff which is good value, which is why we changed our order from a S to X in the first place. But even at £65k starting price for me, compared to how much our X cost, Tesla are having a laugh with S/X pricing at the moment.

The actual cost of production on the S/X must be much less than in 2016, yet prices are higher???

If Tesla really want to sell the S/X they need to cut prices. The base S/X needs to be cheaper than P 3/Y, like how a base 5 series is cheaper than a M3.

Last edited: