Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Price Reductions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Except they aren't the same...
The point of this 3 refresh is to bring changes to the 3 production line in things you can't see, so it is cheaper to produce and make it like the Y.
It will switch to front and rear castings and a structural battery pack.
At this point they will be the same and they can change easier things like interiors.
Not sure about the exterior front end changes, but that could be to add front cameras for HW4, but they might be quicker to make once the switch is made to castings and structural pack,

I was talking about from the customers perspective.

They frankly couldn’t give two cares about mega castings and structural battery packs. Styling, features and having the ‘new shiny thing’ is what they care about.

The model Y may not have been on the market as long but its styling is just as old as the model 3. As soon as Tesla debuts the Model 3’s replacement, the Model Y will instantly look dated and old. People will stop buying it and will start waiting for the new one. Headlines will all be, new model 3, don’t buy the Y at full price because a new one is round the corner.

That’s the downside of making all your cars look the same and on exactly the same platform with the same parts. It’s also why the S&X also needed to launch redesigned models at the same time.

Likewise, they run on JIT manufacturing processes, they are not going to want to keep producing the old stuff and the new stuff at the same time (headlights, steering wheel, centre console etc.), it massively complicates factory logistics which produce both cars like in China.

They might not launch on the same day but I’d be surprised if they were more than a couple of months apart.

Still trying to make my mind up here on whether to pull the trigger on a new 2023 Performance M3. Getting it offered at 52K with full self driving, 7000 super charge miles, and a free Tesla wall charger. The talk of a new facelift being 'imminent' is making me twitchy though. I'll be taking on a 4 year PCP and would rather not be in the 'old' model within a few months of buying. Had mentioned this to the Tesla dealer, but he reckons a new model 3 would be well into next year at least. I know he is just guessing like everyone else though!

First world problems etc...

Still trying to make my mind up here on whether to pull the trigger on a new 2023 Performance M3. Getting it offered at 52K with full self driving, 7000 super charge miles, and a free Tesla wall charger. The talk of a new facelift being 'imminent' is making me twitchy though. I'll be taking on a 4 year PCP and would rather not be in the 'old' model within a few months of buying. Had mentioned this to the Tesla dealer, but he reckons a new model 3 would be well into next year at least. I know he is just guessing like everyone else though!

That’s a lot of incentives if the facelift is that far out…..very suspicious 🤨

But that’s a lot of car for the money!

I tend not to buy the early versions of any car (new model or facelift) as they’re often a bit “buggy”, waiting for at least 6 months to allow them to get it right first. A M3P is probably as “sorted” as they’ll ever be right about now.

Is that instore and available to anyone? The performance is £58k usually, charger £1k and FSD is 6.8k usually so for £52k that would be about a £14k discount which would be rather good!

Reactions: Lord Farquad
Is that instore and available to anyone? The performance is £58k usually, charger £1k and FSD is 6.8k usually so for £52k that would be about a £14k discount which would be rather good!

I got a referal code sent from a mate who has a LR3 which got me an extended MP3 demo for a couple of days. Unsure if same deals are available to anyone without a referal but looking at inventory just now prices ain't far off it. Free supercharging miles are also mentioned in the inventory for anyone buying before end of the month.

Some of the cars in the inventory literally make no sense to me with variations in pricing for an MP3. Why would anyone pay almost 60k for the same car new when you can see others in inventory at around 52k? Mental.

Reactions: Rooster6655
I got a referal code sent from a mate who has a LR3 which got me an extended MP3 demo for a couple of days. Unsure if same deals are available to anyone without a referal but looking at inventory just now prices ain't far off it. Free supercharging miles are also mentioned in the inventory for anyone buying before end of the month.

Some of the cars in the inventory literally make no sense to me with variations in pricing for an MP3. Why would anyone pay almost 60k for the same car new when you can see others in inventory at around 52k? Mental.

any links to inventory car with free miles? I just picked up on Wednesday from inventory so if thats looking common I might give them a poke see what falls out

edit: ah model 3 only it seems.

Reactions: Temper Tantrum
waiting for at least 6 months to allow them to get it right first

I agree. Historically its been about 6 months after launch until RHD order book opens. Even then, I got an early MY (i.e. in UK/RHD - 2 years since first LHD MY deliveries in USA) and the suspension is very basic / hard, and that was fixed 6 months later

So might be better to wait a year ... in which case a cheap M3P now, and 6 months until launch, plus another 6-12 months for RHD ... plus 3 months order-to-delivery ... plus wait another 6 months for anything else they sort out ...

And presumably the new M3P isn't going to be heavily discounted, so another £10-20K on price for New Model.

Still trying to make my mind up here on whether to pull the trigger on a new 2023 Performance M3

The sooner you buy it the sooner you can be enjoying it :)

Next year there will be something newer ...

If that part is your concern my suggestion would be to go for short finance and plan to change, using the savings you're making to finance the flip.

how major are people expexting the refresh to be? They’ve updated bits and bobs incrementally along the way - if they’d saved all those up for a facelift then it’d be pretty big. but if this is just a nose job and vented seats, I think I‘d take a few years in a nicely discounted current model, let them iron out any kinks and normalise supply (there will be a spike of interest so fewer discounts)

Tesla has decided to grant 6,000 free Supercharging miles, if you take delivery of an inventory Model 3 Long Range Rear-Wheel Drive, Model 3 Long Range All-Wheel Drive or Model 3 Performance vehicle between June 8 and June 30, 2023, whether you have been referred or not

whats a ‘long range RWD’? Is that a model they don’t sell in the UK or might be plannign to? I quite like the idea of a less expensive RWD but with the LR battery in

Reactions: Stuart1714
how major are people expexting the refresh to be? They’ve updated bits and bobs incrementally along the way - if they’d saved all those up for a facelift then it’d be pretty big. but if this is just a nose job and vented seats, I think I‘d take a few years in a nicely discounted current model, let them iron out any kinks and normalise supply (there will be a spike of interest so fewer discounts)
The MY looks similar to the M3 but under the skin it is very different. Even the non mega cast onrs. See Sandy Munroes teardowns. I am expecting Tesla to have re-engineered a lot with the lessons learned from the last 6 years to make it much easier and cheaper to build.Cos if we know one thing about Tesla it's that they like to save money. Whether this will confer any benefits to the consumer is abother matter.

Reactions: Mrklaw
The model 3 and Y are basically the same car at a very similar price point. The Y is a 3 that spent too much time at an all you can eat buffet. It makes total sense to drop the refreshes at similar times because they share so many parts, including the parts being refreshed like the headlights and tail lights. It may not happen at the same time, but I’d wager within a quarter or two.

A 3 series and 5 series are completely different cars in different price brackets. Your typical 5 series buyer wouldn’t consider the 3 series because it’s simply not as premium in its finishes.

A much better analogy would be something like a Fiesta and Puma or a 208 and 2008. Given the fiesta is discontinued, it’s probably not the best analogy but the 208/2008 refresh happened basically at the same time.
I never understood the parts overlap thing as pretty much everything is a different size. They look similar for sure but the Y is longer/wider. I would say its not far off the gap between a BMW 3 and 5 or an Audi A4 to 6, certainly in terms of the increase in interior space. Drivetrain, battery, aircon and a few interior bits sure overlap. Suspension set up - zero! As refresh is cosmetic no way they can do them on a similar timeline.

interesting reading some of the angst over Tesla pricing.

Which is exactly the same as every other auto manufacturer really :
model updates/stock balancing/EOQ pushes
... except they all hide behind dealers.

This is actually the downside of direct web sales, pricing (and price changes) are much more transparent.
Whereas the savvy will know they will always get the best deal from a dealer in the last few weeks of a quarter and discounts are best on existing versions when a new one is imminent.

Tesla actually tried to get away from the typical ModelYear annual update cycle with continuous improvement, but major updates clearly still have to happen.

The difference between inventory and new - in theory - would be the inventory is registered ie has a number plate, so from Tesla's point of view this car is now aging and needs shifting.

What I do find unforgiveable and utterly disrespectful to the customers with Tesla is their major abrupt changes of strategy and pricing.
We all expect depreciation with cars, but typically this is a known parameter that we gauge our costs against.

Tesla, some years ago knocking 30% off the cost of new ModelS was an absolute disaster for existing owners, all Model S owners were affected to varying degrees but some folks literally took delivery of their car one day to wake up the following morning to find it had lost £30,000 in value overnight!

More recently announcing that RHD Model S would not be built has short-term terminated the interest in Model S, with no new models to aspire to and gauge the used price against used prices have sunk by iro 20% which perversely makes used ModelS extremely good value to buy now, although sellers have been done over yet again by Tesla. The longer term may well be more favourable as the market realises there is simply no competition to the Performance models in particular and they remain peerless in the market - future classics?

The wider message though is that Tesla and Elon are outright brutal in business. Customer's are nothing more than the revenue stream to be milked in every way possible, and Tesla/Elon will quite willingly break eggs and trample over their customers faith in the pursuit of their maximalist goals. Trade one early Tesla loyalist for 10x M3 owners - slamdunk.

So just like every other major company really, just a bit more public in Tesla's case.

Caveat emptor.

some folks literally took delivery of their car one day to wake up the following morning to find it had lost £30,000 in value overnight!

My view is that if the new price has fallen £30K then the "make up" money, to buy a new car, is "the same", and that the numbers are better looked at as "What is replacement cost as percentage of original purchase" (willing buyer) rather than "Trade in value as percentage of original purchase" (forced sale)

But I didn't buy one the day before that happened ... but the P100 came out very soon after I bought the P90, and the P100 was much more-for-money.

Should be obvious that this will happen though ... EV batteries have been expensive and economies of scale were known to be coming, and that prices would fall (and weight .. .and therefore improvements to range like-for-like, which makes earlier models less attractive)

If this price drop happened through a dealer I wonder if the user would know? Some would, for sure, but only if you go checking the price ... in the past when I bought a car (from dealer) I forgot about it after that, until it was time to replace it. So maybe victim of the web-selling model (as you described)

Trade one early Tesla loyalist for 10x M3 owners - slamdunk.

I have first hand experience of my early-adopter loyalty being worth nothing subsequently ...