Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Price Reductions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My view is that if the new price has fallen £30K then the "make up" money, to buy a new car, is "the same", and that the numbers are better looked at as "What is replacement cost as percentage of original purchase"

I've seen you share this view before, and but your logic seems very flawed to me. It works on the premise that you're locked into Tesla for life, and relying on the idea that the next one will be cheaper allows you to be burnt horribly on the one you've already got kind of misses the point that you've been royally shafted.

Just my 2p.

I never understood the parts overlap thing as pretty much everything is a different size. They look similar for sure but the Y is longer/wider. I would say its not far off the gap between a BMW 3 and 5 or an Audi A4 to 6, certainly in terms of the increase in interior space. Drivetrain, battery, aircon and a few interior bits sure overlap. Suspension set up - zero! As refresh is cosmetic no way they can do them on a similar timeline.

Pretty much everything is the same apart from the chassis, body panels and a few bits of trim. There are so many parts under the skin that you can’t see which are the same. Something like 70% of the parts are identical.

The point is that a lot of the parts impacted by project highland are very much the same on both cars. Lights, steering wheel, steering column, seats and all their associated electronics. The bumpers, wings and bonnet will be different.

Tesla are not going to want to double their inventory of these items for a significant period of time. As soon as the 3 launches, people are going to stop buying the Y at full price because they know a refresh is very imminent.

BMW 3 series and 5 series are different platforms, 3 series and 4 series are the same, they share a lot of components between them. 5 series is a massive step up in quality over a 3.

Pretty much everything is the same apart from the chassis, body panels and a few bits of trim. There are so many parts under the skin that you can’t see which are the same. Something like 70% of the parts are identical.

The point is that a lot of the parts impacted by project highland are very much the same on both cars. Lights, steering wheel, steering column, seats and all their associated electronics. The bumpers, wings and bonnet will be different.

Tesla are not going to want to double their inventory of these items for a significant period of time. As soon as the 3 launches, people are going to stop buying the Y at full price because they know a refresh is very imminent.

BMW 3 series and 5 series are different platforms, 3 series and 4 series are the same, they share a lot of components between them. 5 series is a massive step up in quality over a 3.

I don’t quite understand why the Y is wider/longer. Its only by a bit but surely reduces what can be shared. A 3 on stilts is a valid model with more legroom inside and the larger boot. I’d quite like the 3 to get the Y’s single piece sunroof and hatch appraoch too - so its more like the i4 as a practical sedan/coupe. It has a lot of boot space but only limited by the postbox opening

So we could easily seem some changes in Y interior before exterior refresh then, like the initial refresh of the 3.

But the exterior stuff will take longer as they are totally different bits. So end of 2024 early 2025 seems most likely for that to me to bring both into line.

Reactions: Temper Tantrum
So we could easily seem some changes in Y interior before exterior refresh then, like the initial refresh of the 3.

But the exterior stuff will take longer as they are totally different bits. So end of 2024 early 2025 seems most likely for that to me to bring both into line.
Not sure I agree, of the pieces we can see, that is only 6 parts that are unique to 3/Y but there are also a whole bunch of parts are shared between cars.

Different:
front bumper
Front wing left
Front wing right
Possibly the bonnet (not clear if this is changing, it looks very similar/the same)
Rear bumper
Possibly the boot lid

Shared:
Left headlight
Right headlight
Left fog light / blank plate for RWD
Right fog light / blank plate for RWD
Right rear tail light
Left rear tail light
Left rear boot lid light
Right rear boot lid light

I’ve assumed that all the wiring harness and ancillary parts will probably be the same/reused.

To model Y to use the new design isn’t a big job, it’s bigger on the 3 because it doesn’t already benefit from the improvements in the design ‘under the hood’ that the Y already has. Elon has previously said the 3 actually costs more to build because of this. That probably explains why we have seen test model 3’s about and not Y’s. The Y update could be as simple as swapping the new ‘dress’ buts onto the existing car. They don’t need extensive testing for that.

Still can't make my mind up here, so going to hold off just now.

At the moment I have a BMW M4 which is paid off and would be used as a Tesla deposit, and a Hybrid Rav 4 which I still enjoying driving daily. Was looking to trim both down to the one car that does all. There are far too many leaks going on with this Highland model just now for there to be nothing in it. The incentives getting thrown at me also tell a tale (possibily). I know how annoyed I would be *if* something gets announced soon and I have just taken out a 4 years PCP on what is now at this point a 6 years old design.

Like I said, my circumstances mean that I am in no rush. So will hang fire for another month or so to see what takes shape :)

Reactions: Exy1
Some demo M3P vehicles in inventory at the moment with £11k off list. E,g. a grey one with only 58 miles on the clock for £48k.
is the 58 mile on the clock car a DEMO car? It can be ex-display, maybe? But demo? Demo does 100+ miles a day. In My experience, when I toke the demo drive in Notts, it was like 20+ mile drive. and the car I took was just driven moments ago.

is the 58 mile on the clock car a DEMO car? It can be ex-display, maybe? But demo? Demo does 100+ miles a day. In My experience, when I toke the demo drive in Notts, it was like 20+ mile drive. and the car I took was just driven moments ago.
I don't understand the discount amounts shown but here's a list of the cheapest M3P available.. they even have a demo with 8 miles on it and one saying none. Looking at the details (all this is on tesla info) they registered those before the end of last qusrter, maybe to help the quarter end figures and they have never used them as demos.. I know Tesla would never pre register a car like traditional dealers just to fiddle the numbers... but....

Untitled.png

I don't understand the discount amounts shown but here's a list of the cheapest M3P available.. they even have a demo with 8 miles on it and one saying none. Looking at the details (all this is on tesla info) they registered those before the end of last qusrter, maybe to help the quarter end figures and they have never used them as demos.. I know Tesla would never pre register a car like traditional dealers just to fiddle the numbers... but....

View attachment 949413
I think. in order to be pedantic - real demo will be just the one with 1k on the clock. others will be just showroom cars

View attachment 949413

but then why even bother discounting? spread them out as proper demo cars and discount some new non-registered inventory. this won't have any impact on Q2 figures if they were regged in Q1?

View attachment 949413

those are cheaper than new LR and only £2k more than inventory discounted LR. Crazy

I’ve just bought the grey performance with 58 miles on. Has 57 to be exact. What a bargain. It replaces my leased 2020 grey performance I have. Wife was happy to have another. Happy days. Pcp ing this one so I can sell at anytime

I presume that will be you going from non-heat pump model to heat pump model ... any notable differences, impressions after making the change?

but then why even bother discounting? spread them out as proper demo cars and discount some new non-registered inventory. this won't have any impact on Q2 figures if they were regged in Q1?
Perhaps they’re doing that as well. I think it all points to a fire sale ahead of a facelift (which will possibly be worse than the current car because they’ve decided LHD and a yoke is the future)