Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Refresh - heat pump comparison to older Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is primarily directed to those in cold northern cold environments who have/had older Model S and now have the refresh. With the refreshed Model S, how are you finding the heat with the heat pump, especially when it gets colder? Is it noisy? Is it getting the job done? How is are you finding it when left out in the cold for extended periods? How about with clearing the windshield - does it get fogged up or can the refresh handle it better?

With the Model Y we've got, I notice it takes longer to warm up and can get really noisy as the heat pump tries to do it's part. I'm still trying to figure out if the heat pump works as well when the cold really starts to bite.

Reactions: hcdavis3
You can probably find other threads as well, but here's one that's had a fair amount of activity over the past month related to the new Palladium model S.

FYI - I do not have a new model, so I have not stake in this debate over its capability. Simply providing reference to similar thread.

Reactions: TrevTremaine
This is primarily directed to those in cold northern cold environments who have/had older Model S and now have the refresh. With the refreshed Model S, how are you finding the heat with the heat pump, especially when it gets colder? Is it noisy? Is it getting the job done? How is are you finding it when left out in the cold for extended periods? How about with clearing the windshield - does it get fogged up or can the refresh handle it better?

With the Model Y we've got, I notice it takes longer to warm up and can get really noisy as the heat pump tries to do it's part. I'm still trying to figure out if the heat pump works as well when the cold really starts to bite.
Our 2022 Model Y is insanely loud when pre-heating compared to our 2018 Model 3... to the point where we had to tell our residential tower's concierges that when people report "someone left their car on", it's not an issue, and they can disregard.

Expecting the same when our Model S arrives on Thursday... sigh.

Location - Seattle, WA; winter weather in the 30-45 degree Fahrenheit range typically. Nothing like actual cold places experience.

Same on my model 3.