Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Refresh Mud/Splash Guards

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
any thoughts on another flap on the front side of the rear wheel? All of my BMWs had them. Edit nm the s already has them

Attachments

• 2021-11-17 08_59_23-2007 BMW Z4 M Roadster for Sale - Cars & Bids.png
    2021-11-17 08_59_23-2007 BMW Z4 M Roadster for Sale - Cars & Bids.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 103
Last edited:
A job for @Phlier? Maybe as motivation to get that Plaid, come hell or high water?!
They'd have their work cut out for them, trying to pry me away from my RallyArmor flaps.

Living in Utah, you quickly learn that, love 'em or hate 'em, you gotta have flaps on your car if you want to keep the paint on your rockers and doors for any period of time.

And along those lines, RallyArmor flaps are the best I've ever had.

Great engineering and high quality, real rubber. Yeah, they have the price tag to match, but buy once, cry once.

If they think they have a product that'll match up, I'd give 'em a go, but they'd have to know up front that I give nothing but honest opinions. And I wouldn't even bother installing them if they look like just another cheap, plastic, Ali Express knock off.

They'd have their work cut out for them, trying to pry me away from my RallyArmor flaps.

Living in Utah, you quickly learn that, love 'em or hate 'em, you gotta have flaps on your car if you want to keep the paint on your rockers and doors for any period of time.

And along those lines, RallyArmor flaps are the best I've ever had.

Great engineering and high quality, real rubber. Yeah, they have the price tag to match
, but buy once, cry once.

If they think they have a product that'll match up, I'd give 'em a go, but they'd have to know up front that I give nothing but honest opinions. And I wouldn't even bother installing them if they look like just another cheap, plastic, Ali Express knock off.
Just looked at these even though they don't have any for the MS Plaid/LR yet. Although I'm sure they do a great job and they're made from high quality rubber, etc., I'm sorry but they look a bit ridiculous on the Tesla M3 & MY as they're simply way too large for the Teslas. I'm definitely not putting anything like that on my MS Plaid. :rolleyes: Everyone can take a look but I would just wait until another mfgr comes out with smaller, better fitting mud flaps for the MS Plaid/LR. These are too much for me (in terms of size & crazy looks). 2017-21 Tesla Model 3 Black UR Mud Flap Red Logo, Rally Armor

tesla_side.jpg
tesla_rear.jpg
tesla_rear2.jpg
tesla_side2.jpg

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: bhzmark and jm404
Just looked at these even though they don't have any for the MS Plaid/LR yet. Although I'm sure they do a great job and they're made from high quality rubber, etc., I'm sorry but they look a bit ridiculous on the Tesla M3 & MY as they're simply way too large for the Teslas. I'm definitely not putting anything like that on my MS Plaid. :rolleyes: Everyone can take a look but I would just wait until another mfgr comes out with smaller, better fitting mud flaps for the MS Plaid/LR. These are too much for me (in terms of size & crazy looks). 2017-21 Tesla Model 3 Black UR Mud Flap Red Logo, Rally Armor

View attachment 734033View attachment 734034View attachment 734035View attachment 734036
Yup, I've never liked the look of flaps. Ever. At all.

But here you need to have a set of functional flaps. That is, if you want to keep your paint on your car.

If I moved to a state where I didn't need them, I'd take them off in a heart beat.

But I'd rather drive a car with paint on it and ugly functional flaps than the other way around.

You gotta have enough surface area that extends out into the flying crap far enough to provide good protection. Unfortunately, I've yet to see a more aesthetically pleasing flap that actually performs their intended purpose.

All flaps are ugly. Some are less ugly than others, sure. I've yet to see a set that performs well and is less ugly, unfortunately.

My Cybertruck will be unpainted. And it will not have flaps on it. :)

Reactions: jebinc and sflgator
Yup, I've never liked the look of flaps. Ever. At all.

But here you need to have a set of functional flaps. That is, if you want to keep your paint on your car.

If I moved to a state where I didn't need them, I'd take them off in a heart beat.

But I'd rather drive a car with paint on it and ugly functional flaps than the other way around.

You gotta have enough surface area that extends out into the flying crap far enough to provide good protection. Unfortunately, I've yet to see a more aesthetically pleasing flap that actually performs their intended purpose.

All flaps are ugly. Some are less ugly than others, sure. I've yet to see a set that performs well and is less ugly, unfortunately.

My Cybertruck will be unpainted. And it will not have flaps on it. :)

I don't like flaps and never added them, but I've also never in my life seen a car with paint as soft as this. Removing the front license plate, I mean just BARELY touching the corners of the plate holder where the screws go and it sloughs off

Reactions: Phlier and jebinc
I don't like flaps and never added them, but I've also never in my life seen a car with paint as soft as this. Removing the front license plate, I mean just BARELY touching the corners of the plate holder where the screws go and it sloughs off
Yup. My car got egged. I've never seen the impact of an egg go all the way through to the sheet metal. But that's exactly what happened on the hood of my Model 3.

Got a picture of it here somewhere...

Edit: Found it. And no, that's not egg shell you're seeing. All of the remnants of the egg have been thoroughly removed. That is all paint damage.

HoodEgg.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Bull and jebinc
Yup. My car got egged. I've never seen the impact of an egg go all the way through to the sheet metal. But that's exactly what happened on the hood of my Model 3.

Got a picture of it here somewhere...

Edit: Found it. And no, that's not egg shell you're seeing. All of the remnants of the egg have been thoroughly removed. That is all paint damage.

View attachment 734042
Good God...what kind of people would do that...to ANY car? And why? They don't like Teslas because...? They don't like EVs because...? Too bad Sentry mode wasn't on to catch the Bastard culprits! 🤬 Sorry this happened to your car.

• Love
Reactions: Phlier and jebinc
Too bad Sentry mode wasn't on to catch the Bastard culprits!
It was.

And it did. :D

They were juveniles, and their parents settled out of court for $2.5k.

But then I was left with a horrible decision...

Tesla paint is crap. But unfortunately, it's still better than what you get with a re-shot body panel, and they would've had to re-spray the entire hood.

So I decided to leave the hood as it is, and use the money toward getting PPF on all painted surfaces.

I have a project over the thanksgiving holiday. I’m going to make some no-drill direct fit templates out of cardboard and then experiment with some various ABS. Maybe I can make something half appealing that reuses the factory hardware and some additional fender clips.
There’s a link earlier to generic flat flaps from Amazon for $20. Probably a good starting point. I have them on order

Reactions: jebinc
There’s a link earlier to generic flat flaps from Amazon for $20. Probably a good starting point. I have them on order
I already have a set of them, there is not enough material to mount them correctly without sacrificing coverage underneath or doing something weird like mounting the front ones sideways. So I’m going to start with some 12x24x2mm ABS sheets so I have more material to start with. I need more space for thermoforming to the inner fender shape for a flush mounting.

Reactions: jm404