Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Refresh Mud/Splash Guards

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had tried to drive carefully before I had a full PPF install. (LLuma Valor) But ended up getting two small rock chips in the two weeks before the install.
Interestingly I have yet to even find any more marks of any kind since I've had the PPF installed. I was expecting to find some knicks at least, but none so far that I can tell.

(Just realized, I probably shouldn't have said that, as It's now almost certain I'll probably get some now...:rolleyes:)

I’ve got a 1,000 miles on my Plaid that is fully wrapped with XPEL, with countless launches… and so far the PPF on the rear quarter panels are holding up very well with no tears. Will report back after 5k miles.
Look forward to seeing it! What color is your car, again? I’d noticed my MSM MX with ceramic, but without wrap, has held up well against the appearance of chips for 20k miles vs my black Plaid with ceramic only. Wish I’d kept closeup pics of my black 2017 wrapped S—it did get visible pockmarks at a similar mileage point.

A VIABLE SOLUTION - MUD FLAPS

We get almost six months of sand/gravel/salt hell here in Ontario from November until April and I think my new LR will take a crap kicking. I purchased and 'dry fit' a number of generic (and even 2020 MS) flaps and came into a solution that I am confident will do the job. I could not find the manufacturers website but the flaps are made by a company (or branded as) Pro-Fit Splashguards. Everyone sells them and for Canadians....Canadian Tire of course. They are sold by a Model number from #1, #2 etc getting larger and different profiles. I purchased and dry fit #1, #2 and #3 and the #1 matched the front and rear profiles of the body very well. I have looked at a ton of videos on how they are mounted on Model 3's etc and the use of 3M VHB tape seems to be the solution between the flap and the body to seal out crap from getting in between the flaps and the body paint and damaging the paint. That tape is tough yet removeable and is a major part of the mounting solution. As for mounting on the inside of the wheel wells, the front wells have ONE press clip that can be removed and replaced to pin the flap in the place. The lower rocker is plastic so one could drill and use a press clip along the bottom horizontal of the flap. Up top within the wheel well the body panel is metal and nobody will want to drill into that. The flap hangs past the metal and overhangs the plastic wheel well lining that you could easily use a self tapping screw from the flap to the plastic wheel well insert or a press (trim clip). That does the fronts. The rear has no reusable clips like other Tesla models do BUT the body panels are all plastic to drilling a couple of holes and using trim clips (along with 3M VHB tape on the body side between the flap and the paint) will do the trick. The profile and look is custom. They do not hang down too far and due to the design, they profile in with the body very nicely. The mounting is generic and would require removing the rear wheels to have a good access/working platform but I think very simple and doable.

My plan is to move the car into a heated space in early November and remove each wheel to mount the snow tires and while it is off, mount the mud flaps at each location. I cannot find one vendor committing to 2021+ refresh mud flaps and see some are going with the generic flat plastic flaps which do the trick as well however these do give a nice integrated/profiled look so I wanted to get it out there for you.

Last edited:
A VIABLE SOLUTION - MUD FLAPS

We get almost six months of sand/gravel/salt hell here in Ontario from November until April and I think my new LR will take a crap kicking. I purchased and 'dry fit' a number of generic (and even 2020 MS) flaps and came into a solution that I am confident will do the job. I could not find the manufacturers website but the flaps are made by a company (or branded as) Pro-Fit Splashguards. Everyone sells them and for Canadians....Canadian Tire of course. They are sold by a Model number from #1, #2 etc getting larger and different profiles. I purchased and dry fit #1, #2 and #3 and the #1 matched the front and rear profiles of the body very well. I have looked at a ton of videos on how they are mounted on Model 3's etc and the use of 3M VHB tape seems to be the solution between the flap and the body to seal out crap from getting in between the flaps and the body paint and damaging the paint. That tape is tough yet removeable and is a major part of the mounting solution. As for mounting on the inside of the wheel wells, the front wells have ONE press clip that can be removed and replaced to pin the flap in the place. The lower rocker is plastic so one could drill and use a press clip along the bottom horizontal of the flap. Up top within the wheel well the body panel is metal and nobody will want to drill into that. The flap hangs past the metal and overhangs the plastic wheel well lining that you could easily use a self tapping screw from the flap to the plastic wheel well insert or a press (trim clip). That does the fronts. The rear has no reusable clips like other Tesla models do BUT the body panels are all plastic to drilling a couple of holes and using trim clips (along with 3M VHB tape on the body side between the flap and the paint) will do the trick. The profile and look is custom. They do not hang down too far and due to the design, they profile in with the body very nicely. The mounting is generic and would require removing the rear wheels to have a good access/working platform but I think very simple and doable.

My plan is to move the car into a heated space in early November and remove each wheel to mount the snow tires and while it is off, mount the mud flaps at each location. I cannot find one vendor committing to 2021+ refresh mud flaps and see some are going with the generic flat plastic flaps which do the trick as well however these do give a nice integrated/profiled look so I wanted to get it out there for you.
Nice solution, but I would not want to drill a hole on my LR for rusting problem.

• Funny
Reactions: bhzmark
i have these for my wifes y. I only installed the fronts (backs were not needed) for now and they are very effective at stopping mud, stones, etc from hitting rocker/back door. Plan to get a set for my refresh before it arrives. And super easy to install. No drilling. Look like they belong

i have these for my wifes y. I only installed the fronts (backs were not needed) for now and they are very effective at stopping mud, stones, etc from hitting rocker/back door. Plan to get a set for my refresh before it arrives. And super easy to install. No drilling. Look like they belong

I dont think these fit on the 2021? all the mud flaps I see for prev model s years all say they aren't compatible w/the refresh

• Informative
Reactions: Jinhocha and tbaud
I dont think these fit on the 2021? all the mud flaps I see for prev model s years all say they aren't compatible w/the refresh
I think it is sketchy that they added 2021 on there. The wheel well interiors are different including attachment points. When I look at those, I see an integrated clip at the top that I think would work and then perhaps it is just using the supplied screws into the plastic wheel well liner. I have not found a set yet specifically for the 2021 refresh. That being said, I do believe the geometry of the body panels are the same so the contour of the mats could be a good fit. When I look closer at the eBay pictures, it looks like one of the tabs would pick up one of the trim push pins on the front wells and the rest would be screwed into the plastic well liner. I went to order a pair and they don't ship to Canada so I searched for 2021 specific flaps and lo and behold

These actually look like they connect to the proper points !

Last edited: