Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S refresh Steering Alignment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So love the car. No real issue and all of a sudden the steering alignment went our and of course none of the features like auto pilot or regenerative breaking all of it out and not appointment until Feb 7. Anyone had this issue. Did not hit anything, literal happened on interstate in Auto Pilot

So love the car. No real issue and all of a sudden the steering alignment went our and of course none of the features like auto pilot or regenerative breaking all of it out and not appointment until Feb 7. Anyone had this issue. Did not hit anything, literal happened on interstate in Auto Pilot
That’s normal; since I picked up my 2019 MS 4 years ago the wheel always needs to be turned to the left to go straight. I keep saying I was going to have Tesla fix it under warranty, 37,000 miles later I’m still procrastinating. I’ve rotated the tires every 5k miles and there’s even wear, actually still on the OE Good Year tires, so I know the alignment is good.
I believe the steering wheel itself is just not aligned properly.

That’s normal; since I picked up my 2019 MS 4 years ago the wheel always needs to be turned to the left to go straight. I keep saying I was going to have Tesla fix it under warranty, 37,000 miles later I’m still procrastinating. I’ve rotated the tires every 5k miles and there’s even wear, actually still on the OE Good Year tires, so I know the alignment is good.
Going back to my 2016 S, the steering wheel being one or two teeth on the spline off is common. I think it always was common. The alignment people can adjust it if you are bothered by the offset. Me, I never did, and I suspect most owners don’t notice or care. I’ve seen it on other cars also, but not as frequent as Teslas.

Go get your steering fixed because that’s not normal at all, and would drive me insane.

Going back to my 2016 S, the steering wheel being one or two teeth on the spline off is common. I think it always was common. The alignment people can adjust it if you are bothered by the offset. Me, I never did, and I suspect most owners don’t notice or care. I’ve seen it on other cars also, but not as frequent as Teslas.

The Refresh has a lot of Model 3/Y similarities, including a steering wheel that is keyed into position so you can't put it onto the spline off by any teeth.

Here's a close up of a Yoke on eBay, and you can see the keyed area.

1676083485064.png

That's incredibly disturbing for the alignment to get off without hitting anything.

Despite what any Tesla Service Center jockey might tell you, this is not a drive by wire system that does its own software front end wheel alignments while you drive (Yes, I literally had one of those guys tell me that it does, lol).

The alignment of the wheels and the steering wheels are mechanically linked. Something has to break for the steering wheel to get out of alignment with the wheels, such as the steering rack, or a steering column or suspension component.

that does its own software front end wheel alignments while you drive (Yes, I literally had one of those guys tell me that it does, lol).

The alignment of the wheels and the steering wheels are mechanically linked. Something has to break for the steering wheel to get out of alignment with the wheels, such as the steering rack, or a steering column or suspension component.

You are right, in that mechanical alignments are absolutely necessary. That said - the car does learn a steering offset -- it's not related to alignment per se, but I can see how someone who sees the steering offset setting in Service Mode would think so.

So they are wrong, but on the tangent of correct.

You are right, in that mechanical alignments are absolutely necessary. That said - the car does learn a steering offset -- it's not related to alignment per se, but I can see how someone who sees the steering offset setting in Service Mode would think so.

So they are wrong, but on the tangent of correct.

“Tangent of correct” is my new favorite ridiculous phrase!

The SC guy literally told me the car realigns the wheels on it’s own and there’s no need for their mechanics to physically adjust the alignment.

That’s just plain wrong, end of story. No need to make excuses or normalize it.

• Funny
Reactions: dmurphy
“Tangent of correct” is my new favorite ridiculous phrase!
You're welcome... I'm full of ridiculousness!
The SC guy literally told me the car realigns the wheels on it’s own and there’s no need for their mechanics to physically adjust the alignment.

That’s just plain wrong, end of story. No need to make excuses or normalize it.
Oh he's definitely wrong, no doubt. But the steering offset make it 'seem like' the car tracks straight. It doesn't, but if you don't understand geometry it can appear that way.

Like I said, he's wrong. Not excusing it - just saying I can see how someone who hasn't been trained or corrected can think so. Appearances are deceiving ...