Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S revisions?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Alcantara headliner removed (used to be standard on Performance)

Alcantara headliner is now standard on performance models again.

Spoiler is now standard again too.

The spoiler changed from glossy to matte. (I love my glossy spoiler look)

Also, the wood grains pattern on the interior decor is now horizontal instead of vertical. This change happened last week I think.

Michelin tires are now standard on 85kW models.

21s used to be free/included with the P models but are separate. (and for that matter same for the leather interior, air suspension, puddle lights, and extended nappa trim)

fuses upgraded in the HPWC.

UMC adapters are going through revisions (new ones are v3).

trunk well lid is now sturdier with plastic back plate.

rear facing child seats have gone through at least 3 revisions.

I don't think the first few thousand have cornering lights. These were added later I think...(correct?)

the first sigs didn't have the little cubby under the console (though I think these can be added for free by the service center).

the floor mats have been upgraded too. original ones only came with front mats that were flimsy and no rear seat mats. now they include rear seat floor mats and both those and the front mats are slightly sturdier (though still pretty crappy IMO).

It seems more appropriate/useful to put a record of changes on the wiki (for reference), but so far there seems to be only a record of firmware/software changes, rather than hardware revisions. Perhaps this thread can lead to a good record of them for posting on the wiki...

forgot to mention the addition of the Yacht Floor in the empty center console area.

I guess nobody has noted the addition of the center console either, which AFAIK are starting to be delivered now (at least 1 owner has posted pics of it installed that I know of).

and for that manner now the roof racks (whispbar) system.

zema3a9y.jpg

oh and the sunshades for the rear window now too.

Is there a list of revisions / changes made on the Model S over the lifespan so far? Right now I know some early models have the 'Type A' battery that apparently can't take advantage of the 120kw SC rate. Is there a place where people are keeping track of other changes that have been made? This would be really useful for someone considering buying a used or loaner car. Thanks!

Early 12v batteries- would die
Type A vs. Type B batteries
I've been struggling with this. What are Type A and Type B batteries.
the only battery change I remember was with the 12V battery and that wouldn't affect charging. Where is the thread that describes the difference between Type A and B.

Perhaps Tesla should reconsider the decision to not have defined model years. While everyone (mostly) loves the enhancements provided by firmware upgrades, the random timing of hardware changes seems to provoke mainly anxiety, resentment and calls for free retrofits. If you knew you had a 2012 Model S, you would have no reason to be mad about changes made for the 2013 or 2014 model years. You would also have no reason to wonder if the car you are about to buy will change next week. We are used to this for other cars; nobody insists that Mercedes upgrade your 2012 E-class to match the 2014 model. As it stands, the Model S seems like a bit of a moving target.

I appreciate that they are trying to be different and provide improvements as soon as they can, but I'm not sure it is working out as hoped.