Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S rustproofing?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello there,

i've been following this forum for quite a while but never posted. However, I'm looking for a specific topic and haven't found it so I'm jumping in with my first post...

Has anyone tried rustproofing their model S yet? I'm a reservation holder for now and looking at confirming soon. With the winters that we have in Qc (Canada) I was wondering if anyone had thought about rustproofing yet or if it's at all necessary. I'm planning to hold on to my MS for a while and therefore having to let it go because the Montreal salt rusted it would be very frustrating.

if there is a post on that already my please let me know but if not, any reply would be appreciated.

Thanks!

In my experience with aluminium is that it wont corrode, everything on my boat is stainless steel or aluminium and it is drenched in salt water regularly. Aluminium will oxide on the surface to produce a protective layer that stops further corrosion.
Untreated aluminium has very good corrosion resistance in most environments. This is primarily because aluminium spontaneously forms a thin but effective oxide layer that prevents further oxidation.

Aluminium oxide is impermeable and, unlike the oxide layers on many other metals, it adheres strongly to the parent metal. If damaged mechanically, aluminium’s oxide layer repairs itself immediately.

This oxide layer is one of the main reasons for aluminium’s good corrosion properties. The layer is stable in the general pH range 4 – 9.
Also my dads A8 is clear of any corrosion while the steel cars here are usually perforated by rust, any bolt that's galvanized steel will get corroded heavily.

Reactions: dhrivnak
I drove the Land-Rover Series III for twenty years in Canada (not in Quebec though), but everywhere west of Toronto and no corrosion of the aluminium. I don't know if there was a special aluminium alloy that doesn't corrode, or if the aluminium needs to be next to certain other metals, or if there are sacrificial anodes that corroded without my knowledge.

Hello there,

i've been following this forum for quite a while but never posted. However, I'm looking for a specific topic and haven't found it so I'm jumping in with my first post...

Has anyone tried rustproofing their model S yet? I'm a reservation holder for now and looking at confirming soon. With the winters that we have in Qc (Canada) I was wondering if anyone had thought about rustproofing yet or if it's at all necessary. I'm planning to hold on to my MS for a while and therefore having to let it go because the Montreal salt rusted it would be very frustrating.

if there is a post on that already my please let me know but if not, any reply would be appreciated.

Thanks!

DTB, you contacted me via PM but I tried to reply and got the message that your inbox is full and that you need to clear out some messages. Do that and I will answer you. this is the message i received when I tried to reply: DTB has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.

Znino

Here's something that I just encountered - see Model S Technical / Mechanical Issues - Page 180

My car probably just has a defective part, but this one part is so badly corroded that it has cracked and bent.

If your car has experienced a Canadian winter it might be worthwhile to give it a quick check. Just pop off the plastic covers on either side of the frunk.

Thanks for the heads up Doug! I saw your post in the other thread but didn't realize where those pieces were... Anyways I popped the covers off and mine look totally fine.

Thanks for the heads up Doug! I saw your post in the other thread but didn't realize where those pieces were... Anyways I popped the covers off and mine look totally fine.

I'm checking mine this weekend. I had a look under the frunk over the lunch hour and assume the plastic pieces are the ones down each side and not the single piece along the windshield edge (that is the one I had off before to check my fuses).

That's great news. Hopefully it's just a one-off defect!

- - - Updated - - -

I'm checking mine this weekend. I had a look under the frunk over the lunch hour and assume the plastic pieces are the ones down each side and not the single piece along the windshield edge (that is the one I had off before to check my fuses).

Yes, the side pieces.

Had a look at mine today. Drivers side is definitely corroded albeit not as bad as Doug_G. No cracking or anything. Car is going in for a service in a week. Will ask about it then. Picked my car up the same day as Doug (Dec) but driven in a slightly more benign GTA winter than Ottawa.