Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Software/Firmware wishlist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Few things I'd like, given that older cars had and/or should be possible with software updates:

1. Easy entry/exit of seat & steering wheel as option on/off. E.g. when you are in park, open door, seat goes back, steering forward, etc.
2. Better charger scheduling; e.g. only during certain hours, minimal %, etc.
3. Better blind spot notification - perhaps since don't have mirror hardware, use audio in the appropriate left/right speaker for notification or tone also. Hey, they could just play a typical "mom worried scream" from speaker ;-)
4. Ability to control the air suspension quicker, from steering or slider on dash - as usually need to adjust fast the first time somewhere steep/new.

plenty more great ideas...

Few things I'd like, given that older cars had and/or should be possible with software updates:

1. Easy entry/exit of seat & steering wheel as option on/off. E.g. when you are in park, open door, seat goes back, steering forward, etc.
2. Better charger scheduling; e.g. only during certain hours, minimal %, etc.
3. Better blind spot notification - perhaps since don't have mirror hardware, use audio in the appropriate left/right speaker for notification or tone also. Hey, they could just play a typical "mom worried scream" from speaker ;-)
4. Ability to control the air suspension quicker, from steering or slider on dash - as usually need to adjust fast the first time somewhere steep/new.

plenty more great ideas...

I had a dumb idea about the blind spot indicators: maybe visibly change the entire screen color (console if signal right, dash if signal left) to indicate someone is in the blind spot. Each of those should be obvious in peripheral vision...

Apologize if this has been said before, but, maybe if enough people say it, Tesla might add it.

Two things I miss from my Audi A5 Navigation. Constant display of the speed limit and visible / audible warnings of slowing traffic, accidents, construction, animals in the road, etc. Many times I was prepared to slow because I was given a heads up where I watched other people slam the brakes.

Apologize if this has been said before, but, maybe if enough people say it, Tesla might add it.

Two things I miss from my Audi A5 Navigation. Constant display of the speed limit and visible / audible warnings of slowing traffic, accidents, construction, animals in the road, etc. Many times I was prepared to slow because I was given a heads up where I watched other people slam the brakes.

If tacc is on, you have a grey line representing the speed limit offset. If your offset is 5 mph, the dashed line will show 70mph in a 65mph zone therefore you always have the speed displayed.

Anyone wished to have the voice control to open/close garage's door? I wished to have it

+1

Alternatively, I would like to see a -much- larger GPS aware homelink button, without the programming link attached. I toggle the "setup" screen at least 1/3 of the time I aim for the tiny area of the screen to open the garage door. Usually I program a door once, then don't change it for the entire time I own the car. I use the opener daily.

- - - Updated - - -

My most recent previous cars have had automatic HVAC controls, with the option for "soft, medium, intensive" settings to get to the desired temperature. I find myself increasing the fan speed nearly every time I get into the car with my wife, but then it stays on the high speed until I turn it down again.

I would love to see a setting to adjust how aggressively the HVAC seeks the preset temp.

Alternatively I'd like to see a way to have the fan adjust automatically, but maybe add one or two steps to each setting. In other words, add an offset so that if the current software calls for 9, it would default to 11. If it calls for 6, it would default to 8, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

And one more feature request while I'm typing.

How about having the "controls" page pop up when you engage park? I frequently want to open the trunk or frunk, maybe vent the sunroof if it's hot. Otherwise, I'm typically getting out of the car and don't use anything else on the screen anyway.

I would like Tesla to add:

- Voice activation of music on iPhone, i.e. "Play Adel 21"
- Voice activation of all iPhone Siri commands (Android commands also)
- Bring car to a full stop if too close to a person, object, etc. when backing up
- Add lines on the backup camera display to show the track of the car and Red line to show when the rear bumper would hit something.

I would like Tesla to add:

- Voice activation of music on iPhone, i.e. "Play Adel 21"
- Voice activation of all iPhone Siri commands (Android commands also)
- Bring car to a full stop if too close to a person, object, etc. when backing up
- Add lines on the backup camera display to show the track of the car and Red line to show when the rear bumper would hit something.

You can already do the Siri functioning based on settings in the phone and as long as it is plugged into power. All you need to do is say "Hey Siri <insert command>". This is purely a phone function.

+1

Alternatively, I would like to see a -much- larger GPS aware homelink button, without the programming link attached. I toggle the "setup" screen at least 1/3 of the time I aim for the tiny area of the screen to open the garage door. Usually I program a door once, then don't change it for the entire time I own the car. I use the opener daily.

- - - Updated - - -

My most recent previous cars have had automatic HVAC controls, with the option for "soft, medium, intensive" settings to get to the desired temperature. I find myself increasing the fan speed nearly every time I get into the car with my wife, but then it stays on the high speed until I turn it down again.

I would love to see a setting to adjust how aggressively the HVAC seeks the preset temp.

Alternatively I'd like to see a way to have the fan adjust automatically, but maybe add one or two steps to each setting. In other words, add an offset so that if the current software calls for 9, it would default to 11. If it calls for 6, it would default to 8, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

And one more feature request while I'm typing.

How about having the "controls" page pop up when you engage park? I frequently want to open the trunk or frunk, maybe vent the sunroof if it's hot. Otherwise, I'm typically getting out of the car and don't use anything else on the screen anyway.

+1 to the +1. New owner here and one of my first observations!!

There is more to HVAC comfort than temp and fan speed.
Therefore, allowing the owner to adjust automatic fan speed defaults like the slope for fan speed vs delta to temp and the fan default speed at temp setpoint will make the HVAC more comfortable when personal taste and humidity come into the equation.
These 2 items are further complicated because the access to the fan's speed is not on the first layer of the display GUI.

Has anyone followed up to tell the thread (and those of us w/o Tesla's yet) whether any of these gripes mentioned in the last 92 pages have been addressed during the 3 years this thread has been alive? kind of a "scorecard"? I'd start one but I have nothing to test with (until I order my 70D that is) ;)

If/when Tesla does provide some sort of "exit" profile (move seats back, etc.) it would be GREAT if the windows and sunroof could automagically close.

My end-of-drive routine after taking the car out on a nice day involves putting up all the windows, tapping Controls to get to the sunroof, closing it, and then leaving the car. Would love to see that done automatically.

If/when Tesla does provide some sort of "exit" profile (move seats back, etc.) it would be GREAT if the windows and sunroof could automagically close.

My end-of-drive routine after taking the car out on a nice day involves putting up all the windows, tapping Controls to get to the sunroof, closing it, and then leaving the car. Would love to see that done automatically.

+1

Perfect, I agree!

working that in to the key would be cool, since they removed the auto windows down feature, maybe make a 3 tap or hold of the lock button to make everything close. even more useful, some kind of programmable macro for the control system you could hit on the top bar of the screen.

I'd like the volume icon that is displayed lower right of main screen to be enhanced to show a "Mute" sign and control between the Volume up and Down controls. Many times I've muted the audio using the left scroll wheel and then my partner wonders what happened to the audio. There's no indication and you're left wondering if mute is on or if it's a break in streaming. Tapping between Up and Down would allow the passenger to un-mute audio.