Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - Spreadsheet/Site of Revisions/Problems/etc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I apologize as I'm sure I'm not the first to ask this, but I'm a long time Tesla-wanna-own-one and am definitely going to buy one "soon" but I have to figure out whether to go with an older pre-AP1 S, AP1 S or Model 3.

I will probably rent some variants on Turo prior to buying, but what I REALLY am looking for is details on the core parts history and how to identify what may have been done.

Example. I find a nice looking 13 S 85 online and go to the dealership. They don't have any facts about it other than the carfax. Presuming the Title is clean (not going salvaged), is there a way to identify what may have been replaced by Tesla under warranty and whether the revision is a reliable version or not? I'm thinking major replaced components like the motor, door handles, MCU, etc. Can you maybe poke around and find serial numbers on the car?

Is there a link to somebody that has stripped things down and specified what to look for? If you were to get a very early 2012 that had never been to a Tesla center, it'd probably have some very expensive out of warranty items that should've been done during warranty period while another one might have been sorted out and ready to go hundreds of thousands of miles without major repairs.

Sorry, I know this has been asked, but I'm sure that there is a site/video/post that really digs into the details and can really help you avoid ones you don't want plus find one that is going to be a great long term car.

Thanks guys, I really do appreciate it.

To answer your original question, I’ll say that I’m not sure any singular “tell me everything I need to know and only what I need to know” resource exists. You’re gonna have to dig in and do some reading.

I’ll also offer some opinion here and say that from guessing your budget based on what you’re looking at, you should buy a Model 3. The 85kwh batteries you’re going to be looking at in the early cars have some serious performance and usability issues that are tracked extensively in this thread:

Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

Get a Model 3. You’ll be happier.

Reactions: quickstrike12
Is the general consensus that a newer Model 3 is generally preferred vs a bit older Model S?

I don't think you'll find any particular consensus. Though like I said, a lot depends on your budget and how old "a bit older" is.

all 2012 Model S are beyond their 8 year battery and drive unit warranty at this point. The 2013s are well on their way. Are you prepared to own one of these cars out of warranty that could need a $15,000 battery replacement? You've got a bit more time with the AP1 cars, but again, the 85 battery is the subject of a lot of drama right now. Does supercharging speed or artificially capped range matter to you? If so, how much?