Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S standard vs long range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm about to take the plunge and purchase my first Tesla.

Is the difference between standard and long range only software (meaning it might be possible to later upgrade from standard to long), or is there a hardware difference?

I would go for the long range if you can afford it. Power is always good to have as you can do other things besides driving in a Tesla. I use it as a mobile office, being comfy when it is hot or cold outside. You can sleep and camp in it, with the AC running the whole night.

Long range may seem excessive now, but in the coldest winter days, you loose 30% efficiency. And while Tesla battery is the best when it comes to longevity, it still degrades, maybe by around 4% year 1 and then 0.5% a year or so after. You would be glad you had the long range when your battery looses say 10% 12 years from now.

I agree that I'm better off with long range if I can afford it. That's a bit of a stretch right now. I'm aware that at least sometimes in the past (e.g. the 60d vs. 75d model) the difference was ONLY software. I've got a friend who didn't spend the $9000 to upgrade to 75d when he purchased, and is now being offered the upgrade for $2000, just to unlock the additional battery capacity.

Does anyone know for sure if the current (June 2019) standard range model S truly has a smaller battery than long range? Or perhaps Tesla is streamlining their production, putting the same 100d battery and same drivetrain in every vehicle and just using software to limit range on the standard model?

I agree that I'm better off with long range if I can afford it. That's a bit of a stretch right now. I'm aware that at least sometimes in the past (e.g. the 60d vs. 75d model) the difference was ONLY software. I've got a friend who didn't spend the $9000 to upgrade to 75d when he purchased, and is now being offered the upgrade for $2000, just to unlock the additional battery capacity.

Does anyone know for sure if the current (June 2019) standard range model S truly has a smaller battery than long range? Or perhaps Tesla is streamlining their production, putting the same 100d battery and same drivetrain in every vehicle and just using software to limit range on the standard model?
I doubt it is the same battery, as Tesla learned their lesson in the past that few upgrade and given that cell production supply is tight, it doesn’t seem to make sense to put extra cells in a car that is unused hoping that maybe they will be used later. But here are some ways we can try to find out. Then again, even if it is, it is unclear if Tesla will allow us to upgrade right now.

What is the weight difference between std and LR?
For those who have the standard, is regen available when charged to 100%? If it is a charge limited larger battery, regen may still be available at 100%
What does the super charging curve look like between the standard and long range. How the charge rate tapers as the battery fills up may also give us a clue.

Excellent point--thanks. According to www.tesla.com, there is a weight difference, so it sounds like there really is a physical difference in battery between the 3 models. The specs section of the web page also clearly states that Performance & LR have a long range battery and SR has a standard range battery. I'm not entirely sure why Performance weighs 58 lbs more than LR, but presumably it is due to other physical features built into it.

Performance: 4941 lbs
LR: 4883 lbs
SR: 4769 lbs

One thing to keep in mind that wasn't immediately obvious when I was making the decision a while back: SR cars Supercharge slower, in two ways.

It used to be the max on a 75 was 98 kW while both the 90 and later 100 packs could hit 120 kW. I think that's mainly because the 75 is short the front pair of modules, so it runs at 350V nominal instead of 400V. Both those numbers are now higher - ~120 on the 75s, and ~150 on the 90s/100s, but the relationship hasn't changed.

The other side of it is you need to push a 75 to a significantly higher SoC to make the jump to the next destination, which means pushing higher into the taper, and means a yet lower average session charge rate. (200 rated miles is over 80% on a 75, but only 60% on a 100...)

Don't misunderstand - road trips on an SR are certainly possible and even fairly easy - I drove my X75D on a bunch of them, getting from Delaware to Minneapolis and Houston among other places - but it will take ~25% longer charging overall compared to the bigger packs.

• Informative
Reactions: dcmackintosh
I agree that I'm better off with long range if I can afford it. That's a bit of a stretch right now.

I had a similar dilemma about 18 months ago, deciding between ms 75, 85/90, or 100. (I can't remember if it was 85 or 90). Like you, longer range was a stretch financially. I don't do many road trips and there are numerous SuCs and other chargers in my travel footprint. Suggest you examine multiple charger maps such as NextCharge, PlugShare, etc. Anyone who can afford this $90K+ vehicle certainly can afford a hotel room, so dont sleep in it. Also strongly consider a HPWC or NEMA 14-50 in your garage to charge to 85% overnight frequently (100% prior to trip). Rather than wait until I could afford a "long range", I bought a ms75 and very pleased with my decision. I've never really needed more range. Range extension on Tesla is priced very high, suggesting high profitability. Sure, you could wait 3-6 months saving to afford LR, but consider how much enjoyment missed during that wait.

INMHO, assess your real needs to make the decision. Hopefully this opposing point of view is helpful.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: dcmackintosh
Standard Range (Raven) were advertised in 2019 with a maximum speed of 250 km/h / 155 mph, the same numbers as the Long Range. But Standard Range were delivered in the EU with documents ( CoC ) showing a maximum speed of only 225 km/h. Maybe this is not important in most countries, but worth to be mentioned. Regarding the Model X Standard Range (Raven) the difference is even worse: 250 km/h advertised to 215 km/h in the CoC.