TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model S vs. Model X

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Matias, Sep 12, 2015.

1. Matias

Matias Active Member

Model S advantages
    -better range
    -More space for large cargo
    -cheaper
    -better acceleration
    -can have roof rack

Model X advantages
    -higher
    -Falcon wing doors
    -can seat 7 adults
    -can haul

Totally subjective: model S looks better.

2. tomas

tomas Traded in 9 rep bars for M3, used to be somebody!

We cannot know about space for hauling or looks until we see the car. Rumors and pictures not = in the flesh.

3. jdb

jdb Member

As an owner of a sig MS and holder of production MX reservation #6XX suggest that everyone take a chill pill (other than Sig buyers who need to do configuration) and wait until Sept 30. I for one am foregoing this site until then, too much speculation and unfounded hysteria. Cheers, see you on the 30th.

4. Troy

Troy Member

Last edited: Sep 12, 2015
    You forgot supercharging speeds. Some people think because the batteries are the same, they will supercharge the same. Yes they will supercharge to same percentage at same time. For example both the Model X P90D and Model S P90D will supercharge to 80% at same time. However 80% of Model S range is different than 80% of Model X range.

Tesla said the Model X P90D will have 240 miles EPA. In comparison the Model S P90D will have 253*90/85= 268 mi EPA. That means at 80% in Model S P90D you reach 0.8*268= 214 miles charge. But in Model X P90D 80% is 0.8*240=192 miles. If you need to leave the station with 214 miles range, in MX P90D you would have to supercharge to 89%. Of course that extra 9% is going to take a long time. A typical supercharge session will take 12 minutes longer in Model X.

5. smac

smac Active Member

You've also missed out "worse for the planet", both in terms of efficiency and raw materials ;) :p

6. tomas

Rumor * misinformation * speculation = fact? Just chill everybody, we don't know what we don't know

7. robby

robby Member

8. Troy

Troy Member

Last edited: Sep 12, 2015
    I'm not sure what you are referring to. I don't see any of that in this topic. In my message I said Tesla claims 240 miles EPA rated range for MX P90D. The source for that is Model X Design Studio. There is a screenshot here. You can see 240 EPA under the white car with open doors. The rest of what I said is mathematics.

Update: Here is the screenshot

t40WgjG.jpg

9. tomas

Your analysis ok news talking about cargo paranoia and worse for planet.

10. smac

smac Active Member

The planet thing was a little tongue in cheek (hence the emoticons). However there is a grain of truth.

Range is a direct representation of energy consumption, and the grid is not 100% CO2 free.
    Materials wise we know the X is heavier and larger, so it will have more energy requirement to build, and represent more CO2 embodiment.

If one 7 seater V8 SUV comes of the road to make way for an X, then the X has done it's job.

But replacing an S with an X for a primarily single or two occupancy vehicle, then it is unfortunately true irrespective of how miniscule the difference... Saying that if everyone used 10% less energy, the world would be a better place however you look at it. Every little helps at the end of the day.

11. leh22a

leh22a Member

Perhaps. Unless you truly compare people hauling potential. If one chose an X to take 7 adults instead of 2 S's to haul 7 adults, then the X would be more economical! LoL!!

per capita anyway!!!

12. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

Why are we comparing a four door sedan with an SUV?

13. leh22a

leh22a Member

For fun...and to be silly....

14. Krugerrand

Krugerrand Active Member

Because we can.
    Because we have nothing better to do.
    But mostly because some day the apple will in fact be an orange in disguise! :scared:

15. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

Ok, thought as much. Your correct that over the past few years we have wipped the Model X thread into tiny pieces of string and won't it be wonderful once we have a whole different set of thing to wip after we see the real thing.

16. CmdrThor

CmdrThor Member

Because the OP feels the need to justify his purchase of Model S by putting down Model X. There are certainly some buyers that are cross shopping sedans and crossovers, but I would say most people either want one or the other.

17. mkjayakumar

mkjayakumar Active Member

More cargo space in S than X? Really?

18. donv

donv Member

They're both terrible for the planet, come on. Anyone who believes otherwise is deluding themselves.

19. mkjayakumar

mkjayakumar Active Member

Waiter! I would like to have whatever donv has.

20. lucy

lucy bluehair

Yesterday I cancelled my mid 15K MX reservation & ordered a 90D MS, and last night I went to sleep without lying in bed for an hour first, without refreshing the forum threads every few seconds like a crazy person.

i hope the future MX owners enjoy their awesome cars, but I didn't want to continue to stress over it's features or wait on the whims of EM on when or if they will ever be announced, changed, upgraded, yadda yadda yadda. If you all get sculptural folding or disappearing seats, electrochromic windows, 10 ton towing capacity, built-in keg coolers, salt water aquariums, I'll be cheering for you. I mean it. I'm gaining some range, saving a little money, a little sanity, and a lot of my liver function by stepping away and into a known quantity & a great EV.

Good luck with your decisions!

:cool: